RongzomFan

Why is this called Vedanta Discussion?

Half of you are discussing stuff like Kashmir Saivism etc.

Shouldn't this be called the Hinduism Discussion?

Why do you care? :)

• Like 1

Actually, the same thing has been bugging me since this sub-forum's inception, but I didn't think it worth starting a thread over. Well, that and I couldn't think of a substantially better name. "Yoga, Vedanta, Tantra" was the best I could come up with, but it's a bit long

At least it's not called the advaita sub-forum. I probably would have started a thread over that.

I suppose Vedanta is a bit narrow ... but since I'm taking it to mean anything Vedic then that vaguely covers anything that popularly goes by the name of Hinduism ... though you could argue that some parts of this are not actually technically Vedic.

Of course this is only a problem if people stay on topic ... which I think has happened once or twice in the history of TBs. :)

Why do you care? :)

It seems like you are unconsciously falling victim to the reformist Hindu agenda, as described by David Gordon White in Kiss of the Yogini.

Edited by alwayson

Do we actually need to modify the name of this forum?

I don't think so. if people post about reated subjects not strictly vedanta I don't think anyone would object ... unless of course its Alwayson just making trouble as usual.

It seems like you are unconsciously falling victim to the reformist Hindu agenda, as described by David Gordon White in Kiss of the Yogini.

No I'm not. David Gordon white's book is offensive at many levels...

He is a classic "Wendy's child" and panders to pseudo-Freudian sexual fantasies like the rest of his "intellectual" siblings (Jeffrey kripal, Sara Caldwell, Paul courtright et al)

If he is your gold standard then we don't really have much to discuss.

Actually we don't have much to discuss anyway...so no point takin this further ;)

I suppose Vedanta is a bit narrow ... but since I'm taking it to mean anything Vedic then that vaguely covers anything that popularly goes by the name of Hinduism ... though you could argue that some parts of this are not actually technically Vedic.

Of course this is only a problem if people stay on topic ... which I think has happened once or twice in the history of TBs. :)

Actually the agama part of tantric tradition are very much part of astika Hindu practices (which are Vedic for the most part). Ideally this should be called darshana-shaastras ( to cover the entire gamut of Indic traditions --- but how many here know what darshana-shaastras mean?)

No I'm not. David Gordon white's book is offensive at many levels...

Point to something specific.

He is a classic "Wendy's child" and panders to pseudo-Freudian sexual fantasies like the rest of his "intellectual" siblings (Jeffrey kripal, Sara Caldwell, Paul courtright et al)

If he is your gold standard then we don't really have much to discuss.

Thats pretty hilarious. David Gordon White is cited repeatedly by top scholars such as Ronald Davidson, Alexis Sanderson, Gavin Flood and on and on.

Obviously your incorrect opinion means nothing to me, but you shouldn't spread false notions to other people.

Edited by alwayson
  • Like 1

Apparently a Christian + Muslim reformist / (anti) hindu (brahmanism?) agenda..??

I only came open this recently... it is ref to the sacred cow and Indian trying to reclaim its true heritage

any thoughts?

Unholy Anti-Hindu Alliance Between Christianity And Islam In Karnataka - Part II

http://ennapadampanc...between_28.html

... the religions of Abraham seem to have made a habit out of destroying other peoples cultures...

//

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

Point to something specific.

Thats pretty hilarious. David Gordon White is cited by top scholars such as Ronald Davidson, Alexis Sanderson, Gavin Flood and on and on.

Obviously your incorrect opinion means nothing to me, but you shouldn't spread false notions to other people.

There are a lot of these "scholars" who won't stand a minute before real masters of Indic spiritual traditions. My opinion is shared by many native Indians. Respect that...it's our traditions that you guys are defiling after all!

There are a lot of these "scholars" who won't stand a minute before real masters of Indic spiritual traditions. My opinion is shared by many native Indians. Respect that...it's our traditions that you guys are defiling after all!

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.svabhinava.org/friends/RajivMalhotra/WendyWhite-frame.php&sa=U&ei=A9L0UOz9O-u00QHOpoHoDQ&ved=0CCwQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHIaAIoQTept89wmtA_5iKFHU8GSQ

Dr. Upinder Singh's momentous history book cites Gavin Flood and all sorts of western scholars. Get your head out of your ass dwai. Stop being a weirdo Hindu fundamentalist.

http://books.google....nderson&f=false

Edited by alwayson

Dr. Upinder Singh's momentous history book cites Gavin Flood and all sorts of western scholars. Get your head out of your ass dwai. Stop being a weirdo Hindu fundamentalist.

http://books.google....nderson&f=false

Alwayson, you have an axe to grind. go grind it somewhere else. I hope the mods take note of your slanderous allegations and disrespectful ejaculations...

Alwayson, you have an axe to grind. go grind it somewhere else. I hope the mods take note of your slanderous allegations and disrespectful ejaculations...

I guess you concede that major Indian authorities cite Western scholars all the fucking time.

• Like 1

I guess you concede that major Indian authorities cite Western scholars all the fucking time.

Pest...go infest the Buddhist forum. You are not worthy of further exchange!

You slandered David Gordon White (a gold standard scholar) in the typical Hindu fundamentalist fashion.

• Like 1

Pest...go infest the Buddhist forum. You are not worthy of further exchange!

That implies you have higher worth or knowledge, yet you haven't cited jack shit except a discussion group of fellow Hindu fundys.

• Like 1

You slandered David Gordon White (a gold standard scholar) in the typical Hindu fundamentalist fashion.

No I stated that he uses pseudo-Freudian sexual perversions in his scholarship. I did not tell him to pull his head out of his ass, call him a fundamentalist or use derogatory juvenile references to the act of sexual intercourse in my interactions so far. You did.

Besides unless you are David Gordon white you have no business abusing another member of this board over responding to your obvious attempts at instigating a confrontation!

Btw, All that glitters is not gold...

If you are not fundamentalist in this world you aren't going to last very long...

others will erode/ subvert and destroy your way of life / culture etc to suit themselves if nobody is there to guard.

Even the Buddha has Dharma Protectors....

n Vajrayana Buddhism, a dharmapāla (Wylie: chos skyong) is a type of wrathful deity. The name means "Dharma-defender" in Sanskrit, and the dharmapālas are also known as the Defenders of the Law (Dharma), or the Protectors of the Law, in English.

In Vajrayana iconography and thangka depictions, dharmapālas are fearsome beings, often with many heads, many hands, or many feet. Dharmapālas often have blue, black or red skin, and a fierce expression with protruding fangs. Though dharmapālas have a terrifying appearance and countenance, they are all bodhisattvas or buddhas, meaning that they are embodiments of compassion that act in a wrathful way for the benefit of sentient beings.

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dharmapala

what I am saying is.. i don't think fundamentalism is being used correctly

Fundamentalism is the demand for a strict adherence to specific theological doctrines usually understood as a reaction against Modernist theology, primarily to promote continuity and accuracy.[1]

http://en.wikipedia..../Fundamentalism

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air