RongzomFan

Why is this called Vedanta Discussion?

No I stated that he uses pseudo-Freudian sexual perversions in his scholarship.

Again no citation or reference for your assertions.

I guess a couple of your friends in that Hindu fundy group spammed the Amazon reviews of Kiss of the Yogini?

http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Yogini-Tantric-South-Contexts/product-reviews/0226894843/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

That implies you have higher worth or knowledge, yet you haven't cited jack shit except a discussion group of fellow Hindu fundys.

Moderators are you Moderating?!?

This is so typical - brand anyone who challenges the ivory tower western scholars(like white and doniger ) a Hindu fundamentalist. I've run into so many so called experts on Indic studies over the years that its not even Amusing anymore...

Very erudite indeed!

Its interesting how every Indian history book on Amazon is spammed with these Hindu fundys complaining about Aryan migrations, or biased Western scholarship.

This is so typical - brand anyone who challenges the ivory tower western scholars(like white and doniger )

White and Doniger are not even remotely in the same category.

Stop the bullshit.

Moderators are you Moderating?!?

This is so typical - brand anyone who challenges the ivory tower western scholars

No you asserted the superiority of Indian scholarship. And I showed that Indian scholars cite Western scholars.

But nice attempt to reframe things.

Who do you think discovered the Harappan civilization and Ashoka?

I'm pretty sure both of these were discoveries by Westerners, off the top of my head.

• Like 1

No you asserted the superiority of Indian scholarship. And I showed that Indian scholars cite Western scholars.

But nice attempt to reframe things.

Funny ... You brand those who toe the line as "Indian scholars" but those who don't are branded fundies ... Obviously those who toe the line will cite one another -- an incestuous scholarship indeed.

I don't need to read these scholars - I had traditional learning. It is a way of life for many of us. Why you surely don't mind if gungadin talks back do you? :o

Funny ... You brand those who toe the line as "Indian scholars" but those who don't are branded fundies ... Obviously those who toe the line will cite one another -- an incestuous scholarship indeed.

A novel assertion. But yet again you cite no book.

I find this extremely entertaining... Lmfao at YOU dwai. Dig your hole even deeper and keep pretending that your hooves aren't in your mouth.

• Like 1

I don't need to. Go read any book by luminaries like Sri Aurobindo, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayanand Saraswati, Swami Lakshman Joo, Pandit Rajmani Tigunait (to name a few). They deal with the real spirituality and don't need any attestations by Western "Scholars".

If you want to look at Academic/Scholarly books -- read Dr. Ramakrishna Puligandla, Dr. Antonio de Nicolas (who despite being a Westerner is lovingly called Nitin Bhai by those who know him well) to name a few. Both these authors also contributed to my journal (http://www.medhajournal.com).

If you wanted to, go read up over 10,000 articles on my website (refered above) by many such scholars (who are incidentally highly acclaimed experts in multiple fields ranging from Physics to Philosophy).

I don't need to. Go read any book by luminaries like Sri Aurobindo, Swami Vivekananda, Swami Dayanand Saraswati, Swami Lakshman Joo, Pandit Rajmani Tigunait (to name a few). They deal with the real spirituality and don't need any attestations by Western "Scholars".

First off, I know more about Hinduism and Indian History than you. And I have the complete works of Vivekananda in paperback.

Citing the typical heroes of Hindu fundamentalists doesn't impress me.

• Like 1

The Buddhists masters of India were masters of all Indian philosophies.

Even today, if you want to learn about Hinduism go to a lama.

alwayson, you need to check all the posts you've made in this thread. I think you've missed a few where you click the Like This button. :P

The Buddhists masters of India were masters of all Indian philosophies.

Even today, if you want to learn about Hinduism go to a lama.

You are so transparent in your agenda, it is comical.

May I also suggest you adopt a Llama and care/feed it.

You can drink some Llama-milk tea :) (Tsangpa), take a llama-spit shower...

It's the closest you will get to learning from a Llama (because a Tibetan Lama will kick your butt out of the school as soon as your true attitude is revealed).

First off, I know more about Hinduism and Indian History than you. And I have the complete works of Vivekananda in paperback.

Citing the typical heroes of Hindu fundamentalists doesn't impress me.

That's hilarious. It's so comical that I can't stop laughing. :)

You don't even know enough buddhism to find your derriere with it in broad daylight...let alone Hinduism.

That's hilarious. It's so comical that I can't stop laughing. :)

You don't even know enough buddhism to find your derriere with it in broad daylight...let alone Hinduism.

I'm sure in your version of Indian History, Rama and Krishna are historical characters, and the Bhagavad Gita dates to before the Harappan Civilization. :rolleyes:

Your version of Hinduism, quite ironically, is derived from the old Western orientalism you claim to detest.

Edited by alwayson

I'm sure in your version of Indian History, Rama and Krishna are historical characters, and the Bhagavad Gita dates to before the Harappan Civilization. :rolleyes:

Your version of Hinduism, quite ironically, is derived from the old Western orientalism you claim to detest.

Just because you don't share Indian ethnicity doesn't mean you have to be derisive towards our beliefs.

Ramayana and Mahabharata are considered itihaasa (history) in india and not mythology. So I do believe (as does traditional Indian scholarship and historical narrative) that these refer to historical events.

Also TBG is considered to be contemporary to the sarasvati-Indus period and the Aryan invasion theory has been disproved already. If you are interested in learning and not taking ridiculous potshots from your imaginary ivory tower I can direct you to resources that will help.

I however think your motivations are not honorable and so I'm probably wasting my time and energy on you.

At the end of the day you are free to believe what you choose. That won't necessarily make it right ...

Just because you don't share Indian ethnicity doesn't mean you have to be derisive towards our beliefs.

I like Hinduism. I don't like Hindu fundamentalism/reformism.

That you conflate the two, is your problem.

Also TBG is considered to be contemporary to the sarasvati-Indus period and the Aryan invasion theory has been disproved already.

I never said "invasion". I agree that the Aryan invasion theory has been replaced by the Aryan migration theory.

Both of the history books by Indians I cited will explain that.

The ironic thing is that the Aryan invasion theory was first invented by an Indian, Ramaprasad Chanda, and only later taken up by Mortimer Wheeler.

Also TBG is considered to be contemporary to the sarasvati-Indus period

Thats hilarious. Read Upinder Singh's book. The date of the Gita is 200 BCE.

I like Hinduism. I don't like Hindu fundamentalism/reformism.

That you conflate the two, is your problem.

That's your opinion formed by reading the established (western) narrative.

Have you read any traditional narratives? I follow the traditional narrative because that is what my forefathers followed. From way Before these so-called scholars you quote we're twinkles in their parents' eyes...

Before Europeans came to india. What gives you or anyone else the right to claim that these were wrong?

I too am opposed to fundamentalism of any kind (including your juvenile neophyte convert buddhist chauvinism).

Fact of the matter is that india, Hindus have long been extremely accommodating and hospitable to diverse groups of people. We don't however need the whites and donigers of this world to tell us what to accept and what to reject.

We don't however need the whites and donigers of this world to tell us what to accept and what to reject.

Again trying to put White and Doniger is the same boat? :rolleyes:

At first I thought you meant white people when you said "whites".

Actually the Aryan Invansion Theory, although first academically cited by Ramaprasad Chanda, traces back to Dayananda Saraswati, one of your heroes.

Again trying to put White and Doniger is the same boat? :rolleyes:

At first I thought you meant white people when you said "whites".

For someone who likes his own posts so much you don't do much background research do you?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendy_Doniger?wasRedirected=true

DGW is one of Wendy's top doctoral students. So yes, they for all intents and purposes are cogs of the same machine...

Edited by dwai