Sign in to follow this  
Vanir Thunder Dojo Tan

What is necessary?

spinning off from another thought in another thread:

"I've always tried to make do with what i have, but i have never known what was necessary; never could find need in all of reality beyond the "prerequisites of a goal"; in other words "need" is, as defined by me, the prerequisites of acquiring a desire/want.

NEVER figured "need" out in my life. still dont know what is necessary."

These are my words... and true enough, i have never undersood what, in all of existence/life/reality, WHAT is genuinely necessary?

I cannot distinguish need from greed at this point, because i can only see one natural example of "necessity" and that is:

""""""I "need" to do (A) in order to acquire ( B)""""""

or

""""""(A) needs ( B) in order for ( C ) to function""""""

Or otherwise need is a prerequisite to want.

So, at the end of the day, throughout all of life, reality, existence, and eternity, the question is:

What is necesssary?

Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend
  • Like 3

So, at the end of the day, throughout all of life, reality, existence, and eternity, the question is:

What is necesssary?

Reminded me of this youtube:

mmhmm... i've wanted to a long time now, perhapss it is that i just ought to out right.

it seems that you know already what is neccesary right now. :)

Neccesety changes ,as situation change.

For example if you want to have a breakfast , you need some food.

Afterwards if you want to go for a walk in the park you need to put shoes on , unlock the door , close it and walk out of the house. You are not going to kitchen and have a walk there.

So it is necessary to have a clear sense of purpose , but at the same time being fully flexible towards whatever outcome results. Just in case for example you get outdoors and there is a terrible storm stopping you from the lovley walk in the park.

Edited by suninmyeyes

mmhmm... i've wanted to a long time now, perhapss it is that i just ought to out right.

Backpacking in Oregon in January? Not a good idea for a beginner.

However, just because it's January doesn't mean wait. Start hiking with a local meetup. Check out the REI bulletin board for classes. Learn from those who have gone before you.

Remember "Cotton Kills!" Leave your cotton stuff for shopping and hanging around at home. Don't get a backpack that rests directly on your back,...it will make you sweat, even with proper thermals, and cause hyperthermia. This time of year, even for a few hour hike, wear foot and hand liners under socks and gloves. Carry an extra pair of quality socks and windproof gloves. Carry instant heat toe and hand warmers. Carry a self-inflating thermal cushion to sit on when taking a break,...breaks lower body temp enough, without the ground sucking additional warmth out of you. Get excellent thermal unders,...I use Cuddl-Duds Thin Layers,...wicks moisture and keeps you 30% warmer. Each layer should have dri-logic. Get a winter and summer tekking hat,...I like Tilley's. Use trekking poles,...great in a variety of circumstances,...watch some youtubes on how to use them. Carry a balaclave in winter,...plus lip balm,...a poncho w/pants. Good gor-tex hiking boots are necessary,...and carry spikes or YaxTrax in case of snow and ice. GPS's are neat,...but don't count on them,...the best orienteers use compass and topo. Get a compass with a mirror for signaling. Carry bear pepper spray, works on lions and wild dogs too.

Keep track of your equipment weight,...the lighter the better. Of course the cheap stuff is heavier,...but the ounces add up. Carry a medical kit,...with a multifunction knife. Have two flashlights for late afternoon hikes,...a high lumen Blackdiamond headlamp, and a Surfire E2D defender pen light would be excellent (I have 3 of them). I've taken weekend workshops using the surfire as a martial arts weapon. Whistles are great too,...I scared off a large lion 25' away on a rock about 10' above me at 1am looking at me as dinner, using a whistle.

On longer hikes, 14 miles plus, change your socks halfway,...your feet will love you for it.

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 2

Harris Tweed is yer man for outdoor togs at this time of year.

The wetter it gets the warmer it becomes.

A good tweed three piece suit, sturdy boots and a tweed Norfolk caped overcoat on top plus a tweed cap and you'll never feel chilly.

Also, as the Duke of Edinburgh says

Never underestimate the advantages of wearing a tweed tie for keeping the neck warm in winter.

These new materials, fleeces and such are non starters compared to tweed.

Once you are able to identify your true "needs" and separate them from your "wants" you will be 90% of the way home. If given fair consideration, we really don't have that many needs. All else is ego and desires.

I'd rather have a more seasoned backpacker accompany me.

Also preferrably it'd be a romantic getaway too :D LOL

A romantic getaway with a seasoned backpacker? You're living (according to your location) in a pretty good place for such a wish to manifest

but lack the sufficient (insert something valid here) to successfully accomplish that manifestation.

If i know what i was missing, i wouldnt be longing for it online.

Edit:

to elaborate, a paraphrase:
In my pursuits throughout life, i have always found that there is a key ingredient, one of which i cannot identify, that always obstructs me, intrudes upon my efforts, and steals my successes clean out of my fingertips...

I've given up on giving effort as it has always been stolen from me. i refuse to give it away any more...

So i still want, but i refuse to pursue for someone else and not myself.

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

I can say from experience that a backpacking trip as a first date can go incredibly well. You'll want to get your backpacking chops together though, I don't think most women like to take care of their man in the woods. Vmarco has some good advice for you. You don't need to spend a lot of money to put together a good pack, just remember to bring lots of ways to start a fire and proper insulation. Here's another tip: Dark beer in cans.

but lack the sufficient (insert something valid here) to successfully accomplish that manifestation.

If i know what i was missing, i wouldnt be longing for it online.

Edit:

to elaborate, a paraphrase:

In my pursuits throughout life, i have always found that there is a key ingredient, one of which i cannot identify, that always obstructs me, intrudes upon my efforts, and steals my successes clean out of my fingertips...

I've given up on giving effort as it has always been stolen from me. i refuse to give it away any more...

So i still want, but i refuse to pursue for someone else and not myself.

A few points,...one is a motto I acquired in the 70's,...I have every right to sow, but none to reap what I sow. In Buddhism it would be called letting go of expectations.

Second,...if you are somewhat physically fit, join this group,...and get out.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Intrepid-Ones/

If you visit the Santa Fe area, let me know,...I'll take you into some spectacular and rarely seen places. I generally do 3-4 significant hikes per week. However, romance is not included,...although I see people matching up quite regularly. Here, the average female to male ratio among hikers is about 7 out of ten (7 women/ 3 males). For some trivia,...I lead around 60 different people per month on hikes, and unlike TTB, have never received a bad review. If asked, they say my compassion and consideration are my most noteworthy traits, which allows them to feel safe and encourages their empowerment.

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

I can say from experience that a backpacking trip as a first date can go incredibly well. You'll want to get your backpacking chops together though, I don't think most women like to take care of their man in the woods. Vmarco has some good advice for you. You don't need to spend a lot of money to put together a good pack, just remember to bring lots of ways to start a fire and proper insulation. Here's another tip: Dark beer in cans.

That can be problematic. What we need is good freezed-dried beer,...just add filtered water from a stream.

• Like 1

A few points,...one is a motto I acquired in the 70's,...I have every right to sow, but none to reap what I sow.

y'know, on one hand, i completely understand that, but on the other, i cannot find myself willing to put in an effort that i lose out on right off the bat!

Why do i want to starve while i am busy feeding everyone?!

Or in my literal case, why do i want to expend an effort to attract women that are inevitably driven by materialistic desires that I cannot fulfill???

Money makes a difference, but i am also unable to find a job or "invent" anything to generate an income...

The best bet i have going for me is writing fiction blindfolded in a pitch black room with no publisher...

Okay that sounded better in my head...

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

When you're close to death you remember the needs and forget the wants

They do say that your entire life flashes in front of your eyes before you leave the body.

Bit like TV repeats only much faster and with fewer commercials.

• Like 1

When you're on the edge, you focus so much that you forget about everything, your thoughts and your bodily needs. Everything is gone but the thing that will get you out. You might want to run to get away from a scary animal. You might quit a job that you hate very much. Everything is gone, but the answer.

Chakra01.gif

y'know, on one hand, i completely understand that, but on the other, i cannot find myself willing to put in an effort that i lose out on right off the bat!

Why do i want to starve while i am busy feeding everyone?!

Money makes a difference, but i am also unable to find a job or "invent" anything to generate an income...

You gotta go with the flow...

Sign in to follow this