Sign in to follow this  
Marks of Glory

Cold Body After Practice

Hi.

I have noticed that after some intense Qigong practice my body stays kind of cold to the touch (starts happening during the practice). But I do not feel cold at all.

I go to sleep and often wake up feeling very cold at night. As if my body is cold.

I have got ill much more often lately.

Does anyone know why this phenomenon happens?

Is there anything that I can do to not get sick but still contunue with my practices? Teas, moxas on specific areas of the body, etc?

I have heard that Kundalini Yoga practitioners are recomended to start their practice on Autumn or Spring so that they do not get a Sick.

Any comentaries are welcome.;

Thank You.

Can you be more specific about your practice? Qigong is very broad term :)

Edited by Shagrath

Feeling cool in a refreshing way is fine, but the waking up very cold and getting sick indicates it's either a side effect of the cleansing, or you've gone wrong somewhere in practice.

What are you practicing? Do you have a teacher - they should be your first port of call.

It sounds like kundalini side effects to me...which is sympathetic nervous system arousal, of blood (and warmth) shunting to the center of the body.

Moxa on zusanli is supposed to be very good for warming yourself in the winter.

Relaxation and parasympathetic nervous system activation is called for here...if you can find ways to do that.

are you getting overly warm during practice? sweating? is it cold where you are practicing? how deep is the cold?

Whoa aloot of replies rsrs... Here I go...

------------------------------------------

Can you be more specific about your practice? Qigong is very broad term :)

My night practice is dedicated to Chinese Qigong...

I start my practice with simple Ba Duan Jin to open up the body and spread some Qi around.

Then move along to the Relaxation tecniques found in the "Qigong Empowernment" book or Grandmaster ShouYuLiang

Then move alond to the Qi Permeating Technique found in the "Qigong Empowernment" book or Grandmaster ShouYuLiang

Then move along to the Kidney Strengthening Qigong series, found in the "Qigong Empowernment" book or Grandmaster ShouYuLiang.

Then I move along to the Zhang Zhuang Standing meditation found in "The Way Of Energy" book of Master Kam Lam Chuen.

This series takes about 2 hours.

---------------------------

Feeling cool in a refreshing way is fine, but the waking up very cold and getting sick indicates it's either a side effect of the cleansing, or you've gone wrong somewhere in practice.

What are you practicing? Do you have a teacher - they should be your first port of call.

Some times I think that those illnesses are carmic dirt being keensed up (My totally spiritual self says that) and some times I think it is just a immune system failure (my rational 21st Cenrtuy self says that). During one of this illnesses I dreamt that I was in a boat in the seashore, right next to a very high mountain (right beyond the beach), the Mountain was covered in dark clouds, and I felt as if My mouth was full of bits and pieces of shell material from the sea, and I kept spitting it all the time... Really looked like a cleansing process to me, rsrs..

I believe that this process is kind of "normal" since I have read articles that mention this "process"; I.e. The fact that Theos Bernard in his "Hatha Yoga" book says that the Kundlini Yoga practitioners haave to practice during Spring or Autumn as not to get sick. Bilbo Baggins in "The Hobbit" gets pretty sick, with a cold and sneezing like hell after he manages to "open up the gate from the Dungeons of the Forset Elves Castle and dive into the Underground River that flowed throught the castle". And well during one of the initiations of Goku in Dragon Ball (hen he goes to a Icy Cold place to drink an Elixir), well soon after that, Master Kami gets with a pretty strong Cold, sneezing and all...

So beacause Of this, I think it not because of something gone wrong in the practice, but on the contrary... went pretty well..

The thing is... what comes next? And what Can I do to avoid those side-effects?

--------------------------------------------------

It sounds like kundalini side effects to me...which is sympathetic nervous system arousal, of blood (and warmth) shunting to the center of the body.

Moxa on zusanli is supposed to be very good for warming yourself in the winter.

Relaxation and parasympathetic nervous system activation is called for here...if you can find ways to do that.

Geese, right on the Spot Bro!

Yesterday i spent the whole day sneezing like hell, all day long... At night I dipped my feet on very hot water for about 15 minutes and did moxa on Zusanli points right before going to sleep, and woila! Stopped sneezing right away and snezzed only like three times today!... I've heard that the Samurais would burn their Suzanli points with hot iron before going to battle so that their immunity and Yang would Boost.

I guess that this is the solution for the problem.... dipp Feet in hot water and moxa on Suzanli right beore going to bed (and sleeping with socks also) rsrs

------------------------------------------

are you getting overly warm during practice? sweating? is it cold where you are practicing? how deep is the cold?

During the practice I get warm and even sweat... then I notice that my skin is getting cold, but I do not feel cold, just my skin is very cold and kind of sweaty and moist.

------------------------------------------------

I know what you mean. Like during the meditation, you start to go deeper and deeper into the emptiness then you start to sweat and shake then afterwards, you feel light and cold somehow numb and weak. yeah whenever I truly go into meditation that lasts for an hour a session, that happens to me but I realized after researching a lot on spiritual cultivation that it's merely a side effect of cultivation. Of course meditation reveals latent diseases, mental or physical.

Exatly brother!!!! I shake alot, but a kind of very subtle shaking, like a rumble, specially in my Sacrum and Spine..

---------------

Thank you all brothers!

So you will more or less have to rely on the palm facing the earth so dont worry too much(I have seen people even cut short this form because of its buddhist origin and I have also seen sloppy performance and still it work -just less- so dont worry) , but if you not have repulsion from the ground the exercise is only normal isometrical exercise. If having the repulsion the energy should open up from the palms and flow into the body and heating the lower Dantien at least.

What movement were you talking about? Could you clarify please? Thanks.

During the practice I get warm and even sweat... then I notice that my skin is getting cold, but I do not feel cold, just my skin is very cold and kind of sweaty and moist.

------------------------------------------------

/\ I'd recommend hitting the stuff that will warm you up that much earlier in the day. note the natural wax and wane of energy, sweat's best in the morning. I know we all might not have time in the morning though. if you have to keep it at night, perhaps try to meter your general heatlevel a little more closely and add in some pauses, pulling down heavens, something of the sort. perhaps even add some intermediary steps shedding some heat off yangmings to prevent overheating?

Geese, right on the Spot Bro!

Yesterday i spent the whole day sneezing like hell, all day long... At night I dipped my feet on very hot water for about 15 minutes and did moxa on Zusanli points right before going to sleep, and woila! Stopped sneezing right away and snezzed only like three times today!... I've heard that the Samurais would burn their Suzanli points with hot iron before going to battle so that their immunity and Yang would Boost.

I guess that this is the solution for the problem.... dipp Feet in hot water and moxa on Suzanli right beore going to bed (and sleeping with socks also) rsrs

Still going well with that?

I never actually did try the moxa on zusanli myself. Your results inspired me to try it, so I ordered some last night for this!

Still going well with that?

I never actually did try the moxa on zusanli myself. Your results inspired me to try it, so I ordered some last night for this!

So... I got a Cold, on the Day I got the cold, I must have sneezed about 500 times... Till night time...

At night I Dipped my feet in scorching hot water for 15 minutes As I said, and after that moxa'd the Suzanli points and went right to bed... As soon as I did this I stopped sneezing at once. The next day I only sneezed about 4 times in the morning and that's it.. it stopped completely....

I thought that I had gotten completely better, so I ate alot of salad and fruits, which are cooling... wasn't a very good idea because I night I was feeling kind of chilly still, so I did the procedur once again, on my feet and Moxa.... and I was cured completely for sure.... I highyl recommend it... After I moxa suzanli I felt the most strange feelings on my legs, as if they were highly energized...

But I was only with a Cold, clear this mucus and sneezing... I do not know if it is advisable to use it if the mucus got Yellow, concentrated and cooked. which means A Deeper Heat Disharmony...

Edited by Marks of Glory

There are some bums here who chose to post in the moment.

Yes, I noticed it... ^_^

unfortunately I do not have internet in my house, and probably miss some precious posts since I do not access everyday.

But I was lucky this time due to your actions!

-----------------------

About stopping some aspects of the practice...

It is important to note that I do not feel cold during the practice... I feel fine.. it is just my skin that become cold.

I used to have alot of night emissions, but lacked sexual vigour. Afetr practicing the Kidney strengthening, I noticed that the emission ceased... I still dream with women and having intercourse with them, but I do not ejaculate, and I noiced that, even though I am not having emissions, I wake up with an erection more often, so I guess that the Kidney Stregnghthening is really helping me to preserve My Yin and Yang in Kidney, since I was having up to 3 ejacs or more a weak, with no control.. I was in dispair!...

During the Kidney Strengthening exercices I felt alot of Heat and even sweating.

The feeling of cold happens more often ater I go to sleep.

please Friend... I am not discarting you precious post, I am just extending the discussion further more.

Cheers.

Edited by Marks of Glory
  • Like 1

So... I got a Cold, on the Day I got the cold, I must have sneezed about 500 times... Till night time...

At night I Dipped my feet in scorching hot water for 15 minutes As I said, and after that moxa'd the Suzanli points and went right to bed... As soon as I did this I stopped sneezing at once. The next day I only sneezed about 4 times in the morning and that's it.. it stopped completely....

I thought that I had gotten completely better, so I ate alot of salad and fruits, which are cooling... wasn't a very good idea because I night I was feeling kind of chilly still, so I did the procedur once again, on my feet and Moxa.... and I was cured completely for sure.... I highyl recommend it... After I moxa suzanli I felt the most strange feelings on my legs, as if they were highly energized...

But I was only with a Cold, clear this mucus and sneezing... I do not know if it is advisable to use it if the mucus got Yellow, concentrated and cooked. which means A Deeper Heat Disharmony...

Yea I did read something about how zusanli strengthens everything...including pathogens...so with certain sicknesses maybe it's not the best solution.

Maybe somehow you are depleting the energy from lower dan tien and kidneys with regimen you are doing.

Edited by Shagrath

Maybe somehow you are depleting the energy from lower dan tien and kidneys with regimen you are doing.

But i am more grounded, have a stronger sexual drive, and greater capacity of retaining my ejaculation...

aren`t all tose signs of a stronger lower Dantien and Kidney?

But i am more grounded, have a stronger sexual drive, and greater capacity of retaining my ejaculation...

aren`t all tose signs of a stronger lower Dantien and Kidney?

As far as I know those are the signs of strong dan tien and kidneys but so is inner heat. After doing exercises for kidneys and lower dan tien you should normally feel worm inside. When you meditate a longer period of time, then its normal to feel colder because of the dominance of parasympathetic nervous system, but not during energy work. Or maybe you didn't have any problems and somehow you are bringing in you cold with your practice. Maybe you worked out barefooted or with thin soles and your Yong Quan absorbed coldness into your kidneys.

If you have some lumbar pain or discomfort in lumbar spine, It can be that your Ming Men is blocked.

On the other hand maybe you have coldness in your kidneys, that you must treat first before you strengthen them.

In my language there is a saying "Worm boots guard your head (life), hat just decorates it."

Edited by Shagrath
  • Like 1

Hey MoG,

sorry to hear you've been having trouble with you practice. From what you've said there seem to be a couple points to watch out for.

Firstly you said your night practice. Do you only practice at night? When practicing qigong/neigong you have to take into account the yin/yang daily cycle and the four seasons in one day. Basically speaking, from 11pm to 11am is yang, and from 11am to 11 pm is yin. The yangsheng (nourishing life) practice theory is based on this. Those that follow this practice during the yang part of the day to increase the warmth, heat and yang energy in the body.

As for the four seasons in one day, at midnight energy arises in the kidneys this is winter. By dawn it has reached the liver, this is spring. Noon energy is in the heart, this is summer, and at dusk it is in the lungs, this is autumn. So from midnight till dawn is spring this is the emerging energy of minor yang. From dawn till noon is summer, this is the growing energy of major yang. Noon till dusk is autumn, the gathering energy of minor yin. Finally from dusk till midnight is winter, the storing energy of major yin. The times of day that you practice will effect the outcome.

Also having gone wrong in this aspect previously, be careful that the practices you are using are compatible with each other.

Wish i time to write more, but i'm at work and the phones are blowing up!! Hope this was of some use to you. All the best with your practice.

• Like 3

Also having gone wrong in this aspect previously, be careful that the practices you are using are compatible with each other.

Cheers Bamboo.

Nice thread.

I will ponder upon it (maybe this isn`t correct english).

Hmm about the Coolness, once again I will remind you that internally I feel warm, it is my body externally that gets cold to the touch. By what you said about the seasons, and the Kidney predominance, I just remembered. Isn`t Kidney Qi Hot on the Inside and Cold on the outside?

How can I know if certain practices are compatible with one another? what are the underlaying dynamics of the choices?

namaste

Hmm about the Coolness, once again I will remind you that internally I feel warm, it is my body externally that gets cold to the touch.

I misunderstood you. I am sorry.

If your skin is the only part of your body that is cold it can indicate some qi disbalance in lungs or large intestine, since the three of them (lungs, LI and skin) are the same element (metal). So it can indicate that energy is not balanced in all three organs equally rather in two (lungs and LI) or even one, or you can have some issues with your liver.

Try inner smile or five healing sounds or something like that to balance energy of internal organs.

Edited by Shagrath

MoG,

Regarding practices being compatable i would suggest you save up and go see a real master and learn a lineage practice. I fluffed around for 7 years wasting my time buying dvd's and going to classes, trying to stick all these random practices together. Looking back on it my face glows red (with shame). It is essential that we see someone who has travelled the road, otherwise we end up wandering off into a ditch, or lost on a million sideroads.

• Like 3

Hello MoG,
I'm writing some my opinions that I heard from my teachers before feeling cold in practice. Maybe this could be some clue for you and for others.

First of all in practicing Baduan Jin the energy comes out after 2 years. Not starts easly. That's why most people left these practices.
I don't know anything about other practices what they effect or what they change. But -this written page before - you need to practice with a teacher better.
Cold feeling is not a good sign mostly. This shows sometimes leak of energy in meridians or on lower dan tien. If the dan tien not made (practicing cilibasy and some other methods) gathering the energy on lower dan tien will not put in together. This could be felt like cold in body.
Also there is another option. If you get cold, flu or humidity into your body or into your organs, this could be come out when your practicing.
How you can decide which is which? What do you feel after all these cold is main. If you got tired on next days, you will loosing your energy. You won't keep into your body. But if everything is o.k. and you feel yourself good or better you will understand that you are givin out cold steam into your body. Maybe hot sauna will be better on this.

Please forgive my poor English.

Regards.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this