Sign in to follow this  
GrandmasterP

For Saggy Bums

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2247402/Can-floor-using-hands-If-heading-early-grave.html

At 61 next and nowhere near as spry as once I was I'll admit to being a bit of a Saggy Bum so this article in today's Daily Mail cheered me up no end.

Can you get up from being seated on the floor using no hands or just one hand?

Never thought about it before but noticed that I can get up from half lotus seated on the floor using one hand no problem. Going for no hands next.

I've seen a lot of oldster-like-me ex MA buddies go to physical wrack and ruin when they stop playing.

Just goes to show that continuing to cultivate something do-able in later life does pay dividends.

Well, I almost always have to use one hand to get up. But that is because of my broken hip that did not heal to its unbroken condition. I think I am in pretty good shape for my age and the hip. I used to enjoy walking but that is a problem with the hip but I can still ride my bicycle.

And I do agree, we should remain active as we age, both physical and mental.

I have a stick, had to use that when arthritis kicked in and before I began with QiGong. Still use it now but only for Cane Masters Cane Defence play. Great fun but impossible to get affordable insurance to teach it at the centre. Full insurance (5 million pounds cover and no excess which is the legal minimum in England) for a year to teach both QiGong and Tai Chi is less than £60-00 but add in any 'weapon' cane included and that goes up ten fold with a two grand excess on all claims so any claim is going to cost you £2,000 before you even start.

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to leave your cane at home. Hehehe. I still have the last cane I used when recovering but make no use of it now.

Ugh .. 2k pounds is a lot! Is the cost on account of the cane itself, or simply because you would be teaching how to use a cane as a weapon? If the issue is the cane, maybe it could be simulated in class with something like nerf - essentially harmless material. It seems a shame not to be able to teach the elderly folks how to make use of their canes to defend themselves.

I know it's daft but these days we are such a litigious society that I suppose someone has claimed .

I expect Tai Chi ruler to be next on the list. At present we are covered to teach it but I reckon it's only a matter of time before that goes on the banned list too.

Dojos are fine, they have the income and member numbers to cover insurance costs but we are a small voluntary centre so it's just out of our financial league.

Odd times we book a major player, we have Kevin Magee coming to teach a Cheng Hsin workshop next March, they bring their own insurance cover with them but as far as us running weekly classes in anything even vaguely martial we just can't afford to.

Yes, I can get up from cross-legged position to standing, and back down again, with no hands. But you've got almost 30 years on me! So I guess I'll get back to you in 25 or so years. :D

At 48, yes. Very easy, as a nidan in Aikido I've done it billions of times. Sadly I'm using my hands to help me get down!..

Edited by thelerner

Well, just to give you guys something to shoot for, until I broke my hip at age 58 I was able to get up and sit down without any hand assistance. I can still put my hands flat on the floor while standing straight-legged.

• Like 1

I can still put my hands flat on the floor while standing straight-legged.

Now i'm embarrassed :blush:

How about getting into half/full lotus with no hands?

I can do a half lotus without a helping hand but full lotus - nooo way :)

Edited by Ish

How about getting into half/full lotus with no hands?

I can do a half lotus without a helping hand but full lotus - nooo way :)

Yeah, once I get on the ground/floor using at least one hand I can still get into half lotus but don't do that very often. I have never been significantly over-weight and maintained most of my flexibility of my youth until the broken hip. After recovery (and that was a Mother) I tried to regain as much of tha flexibility as I could but the physics of things prevented full recovery.

(I can't run away from anyone now so I just have to stand my ground and fight. Hehehe.)

For our colonial readers I should point out that the Daily Mail is now the undisputed source of truth in science and medicine in the UK. When we see an article in Scientific American or Nature we don't believe it until we see it in the Daily Mail.

http://hellokinsella.posterous.com/the-daily-mail-list-of-things-that-give-you-c

Addendum for chums over the water...

The Daily Mail is a rabid right wing scandal sheet full of lies and as such, beloved of the parasitic English bourgeoisie .

It also has the funniest columnists currently writing in the English Language on staff along with the very best Sudoku (according to Mrs GMP)

The Daily Mail is a rabid right wing scandal sheet full of lies and as such, beloved of the parasitic English bourgeoisie .

Dude we appreciate your zorba-the-trickster persona, but this is really going too far! How will serious cultivators ever find The Way if you're fucking with their heads like this?

i reckon i am a soggy bottom bum and that comes in handy with the mud-steppin

otherwise i am a foggy mountain bum, which comes in handy for floating in clouds

so i reckon it may be about o vs a ?

soggy and never saggy

foggy but never faggy

maybe dulcimer vs banjo

Sign in to follow this