3bob

cussing and daytime boggie man to boot

Do you sometimes find yourself cussing a lot (to much) in addition to seemingly having an invisible daytime boggie man tagging along to screw things up around or for you?

Seemed like that kind of day today; regardless of all the stuff I know counter to same...

I am very familiar with those days, mostly in my past. No more boggie men in my life but I still get emotional now and again and express myself with those more descriptive words.

But then, as my Buddhist friends say, "Those days too shall pass."

Do you sometimes find yourself cussing a lot (to much) in addition to seemingly having an invisible daytime boggie man tagging along to screw things up around or for you?

Seemed like that kind of day today; regardless of all the stuff I know counter to same...

Feck.

No

Any bar steward who has to cuss to make their point is an ignorant fecker with an erse for a mouth and no mistake

My grandad the pastor always said..

"Any James Hunt who swears has two feckin' erseholes"

LOL, I remember cussing a lot in boot camp around 40 something years ago...Good Lord! And at my first duty assignment I worked with a New Yorker (no offense to other New Yorkers) whose every other :unsure: word was a cuss word! After a while I think such attracts the Dark side.

Top of the freezing ass morning to ya, oops :o:P:)

I've been cursing like a sailor for years. It was always a speaking duality from the age of 5 onward. My grandfather's every other word was 'Fuck' and that stuck with me. While I was living in Arizona most of my friends spoke similarly. There were times in my life where I tried to curb my tongue but those phases passed quickly.

fuck... i dont know about language being a problem. I've been swearing like a sailor since i was in third grade and havent stopped except to catch my breath. I'll be polite mind you, i try to curb the vulgar words around kids and my elders, but if grandpa old fart cracks wise about "fuckin' nice tits", you'c'n bet i'll back him up with laughter. I'vestopped worrying about "cuss words" since i've never seen any harm come from them except in retaliation to them. THAT'S no excuse to quit fucking swearing! :D

So in other words for the time being you prefer cursing over eloquence ... think of it as the little devil telling you to curse and the little angel telling you to be eloquent... and you deciding which side gets your vote... one side loses, one side wins and personally I like to be among the winers celebrating rather than with the lamenting ...

I don't think there is any separation of cursing and eloquence and I'd honestly rather eliminate such dualities as you suggest. It was a duality for me when I was younger but I have accepted that cursing is a matter of audience. So few people actually talk to me in person that I don't filter myself except for work when I have it. Cursing has a special case in emotional impact on ourselves as well as in conveying the gravity or severity of a situation. Some of the best conversations I've had usually have the word fuck inserted in various places with varying emphasis.

• Like 1

Hmm... well let's see... "Bad words" are in my mind an opinion. I try to respect other people's opinions but never enforce mine upon them.

SO.... swearing, i will respect my elders and the parents of little kids and not swear around them unless i have confirmed they personally dont give a shit.

I try to be both eloquent and vulgar at the same time.... err, actually i jsut dotn care, there's no "try" lol. but i do value intelligent discourse, that jsut doesnt mean im gonna throw out some of the fun catch phrases like "holy shit" and "what the fuck" lol Should probably stop asking god to damn things though... <_<

If you want to use of offensive language: for emphasis or to express anger, annoyance, contempt, or surprise. thats your business... I just wonder why anyone would in their right mind resort to offensive ways rather than more eloquent ways... yea I do sort of understand that your blind to the effect of them ... except in relation to them... then again maybe you better and explain that part again...

I think that even labeling the words "offensive" provides with them with more emotional attachment than they deserve and I KNOW that what is offensive and what is not is entirely dependent on audience. YOU may find the words offensive but to my normal audience the word fuck is used like a comma. Highly intelligent, highly educated, and very eloquent people have exchanged "offensive" language with me but no offense was taken on either side.

• Like 1

Bitter and Mild were the two main types of beer sold in English pubs in my youth as a toper.

You could always tell the bitter drinkers.

They were cynical, glass half empty; chaps who swore a lot. Eloquently and creatively using cusses as would make a sergeant-major blench.

Mild drinkers on the other hand were phlegmatic , glass half full sorts; prone to reminisce and seldom heard to swear beyond the very occasional 'dammit'.

I drank Lager.

Edited by GrandmasterP

It was piss.

I only ever drank to forget.

Can't remember what , so it obviously worked.

Not touched a drop since 1978.

Edited by GrandmasterP

That's a fair comment.

Maybe I never sobered up after that last bender.

Suspect you are wrong though.

The wife would have been sure to say something before now.

Wives do that sort of thing.

• Like 1

The smell off a bar maid's apron would get me drunk mate.

I could play with that statement but I best just let it be.