konchog uma

Introduction to Dzogchen Retreat with B Alan Wallace

http://archive.org/details/IntroductionToDzogchenRetreatWithAlanWallace2012

free public archive of October 2012 retreat in Australia with B Alan Wallace: "Introduction to Dzogchen".. there is a torrent of all talks available on archive.org, or you can listen to or download individual talks

can't comment on any of it as i have just found it and loaded it onto my player recently. I wanted to post it here in hopes that others <coughtibetanicecough> would enjoy it :)

• Like 4

http://archive.org/d...AlanWallace2012

free public archive of October 2012 retreat in Australia with B Alan Wallace: "Introduction to Dzogchen".. there is a torrent of all talks available on archive.org, or you can listen to or download individual talks

can't comment on any of it as i have just found it and loaded it onto my player recently. I wanted to post it here in hopes that others <coughtibetanicecough> would enjoy it :)

Oh Boy! Oh Boy! Oh Boy!

Thanks!

:)

TI

• Like 2

Nice! :D

Thanks.

*edit* Listened to the first 3 so far, this guy seems to really know his stuff.

you are welcome

yes wallace is a very experienced westerner, and speaks to the western mind very well. He does know his stuff

@ cat: most welcome! i have had those moments, glad there were veggies. Strange how some teachers/teachings can just affect like that.

@ apech: seeding at fiber optic speeds sir

really loving it so far, can't wait until he gets deeper in to the dudjom rinpoche text.. Alan Wallace is a treat

Got it now ... started listening.

Will be seeding at steam powered marconi wireless speeds lol.

• Like 1

had to go to a funeral and hang with the fam today (my grandfather passed in his sleep after a year and a half of suffering.. its all good.)

im only finishing up 6... you are blazing quite a trail there TI.

So far it is very good, i am getting a lot out of it

Thanks! It was (is) all very okay, he lived a good long life (split his own wood til he was 92) and a clean honest one at that, but his later years were hard on him... it was very um appropriate for lack of a better word, that he died. Very much his time to do so. So i appreciate that sentiment but i meant it, its all good.

so far, yes, but there is some terminology that is particular to Buddhism thrown in. Nothing you couldnt look up on wikipedia tho for a quick definition. The first 7 or 8 tracks are just basic, not really much dzogchen, and then he seems to slowly introduce it via the Dudjom Rinpoche text and his own experience and teachings (he's studied for 20 years)

i would recommend this book too The Dzogchen Primer.. it is a collection of writings by past masters, i found it helpful, but again with the Buddhist terminology.. its in there.

Another good book is Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche's Wild Awakening which is about both mahamudra and dzogchen. Mahamudra and dzogchen are often seen as different practices having the same end goal, the recognition of and abiding in the natural (primordial) state of mind. Mahamudra is practiced largely within the Kagyu lineage of Tibetan Buddhism, while dzogchen is practiced largely within the Nyingma lineage and Bon lineages.

I think there is some difference in practice though because i don't hear about mahamudra pracitioners "dying" in a wild light show and leaving only hair and fingernails behind. (i say "dying" because they become a spirit which can choose if and when it wants to take rebirth) That phenomenon seems to be accomplished by dzogchen practitioners. I have also read (Chogyal Namkhai Norbu) that Mahamudra in its entirety is contained in the first part of dzogchen (trekcho), while the mastery of trekcho is followed by the practice of thodgal, which is largely secret, and yields the rainbow body to those who master it.

Thodgal involves a 7-week total darkness retreat which is considered the most dangerous practice in all of Buddhism according to Reginald A Ray. The mind hallucinates in the darkness and creates the death experiences for the practitioner.. many dzogchenpa have had psychotic breaks while practicing this. Chogyam Trungpa talked about his experiences with thodgal a little bit, but its mostly not talked about at all. His account is included in Reginald Ray's Secret of the Vajra World

which has a great section on dzogchen.

those three books have helped me a lot, but i just started to study dzogchen in earnest recently so i can't be a lot of help. Chogyal Namkhai Norbu gives tranmission three times a year (next in Feb 2013) which is like a pointing out of the nature of mind. He gives verbal pointing out, and metaphoric pointing out, and direct pointing out via webcast. For information on it, just put "dzogchen community" into a search engine, or if in N. America, search "Tsegyalgar" and keep your eyes on those pages near february. The transmission is free but there is a phone explanation (like a conference call type thing) of what will happen that you should attend before watching the webcast. Membership in the community is not expensive and that and the transmission will allow you to purchase restricted books by Chogyal Namkhai Norbu. He is the most important dzogchen teacher alive today, and is the reincarnation of one of the most significant practitioners in history. So i recommend that avenue if you want to really get into dzogchen.

A lot of people say you can't really practice without the transmission or pointing out. I have had experience with pointing out the nature of mind with another lama, and it is very wow, gives a reference point which in traditional dzogchen is considered necessary to use to practice correctly. So books and this retreat will help, but having a lineage and transmission is strongly advised to those who are really serious.

• Like 1

Also, if you are coming from a Taoist (energy based) perspective, I would highly recommend Chogyal Namkhai Norbu's "Dzogchen: The Self-Perfected State". It is an excellent overview of Dzogchen and how it is different from other traditions.

track 13! it gets better and better (although track 12 was 24 minutes of silence lol)

I haven't read that book Jeff, but all ChNN's books that i have read have been really awesome, and his excellence as a teacher is very well known. One need only go to any Buddhist forum to see how many people find great benefit in his teachings and in Dzogchen Community.

viator: i think this retreat would be a good introduction to dzogchen

i think thats why Alan Wallace called it "introduction to dzogchen" lol

:) just joshin

...and there is a clip by C. N. Norbu on YT (approx 1 hr 40min -- but skip the first couple of mins where nothing appears on screen) called "Introduction to Dzogchen".

Viator might want to check that out and see if he feels a connection before venturing further with Norbu Rinpoche's teachings.

Since Viator is in the UK (maybe? not sure where i got this from) this teacher, James Low, is very highly recommended. Here's his contact and some sample teachings: http://www.simplybeing.co.uk/simply/About_James_Low.html

All the very best.

East coast, US. I'll check out the clip though. :)

(apologizes profusely) my bad... :)

track 13! it gets better and better (although track 12 was 24 minutes of silence lol)

I haven't read that book Jeff, but all ChNN's books that i have read have been really awesome, and his excellence as a teacher is very well known. One need only go to any Buddhist forum to see how many people find great benefit in his teachings and in Dzogchen Community.

Malcolm originally recommended it to me as part of a dharmawheel discussion we had.