Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Opening the Jade Pillow/Upper Gate

Does anyone have any advice or resources in relation to the opening of the Jade Pillow/Upper Gate which is situated at the back of the neck?

Stretching seems to help me as per the yoga exercise 'neck lock', also a very tender lump has formed at the back of the neck.

Meditation on emptiness seems to increase the energy movement and discomfort.

Does yours crack a lot? I often get spontaneous movement and the atlas cracks and pops like crazy, there's no pain though.

turtle neck, crane neck, open and close the joints every day, longitudinally as well as transversely ;)

• Like 2

Does yours crack a lot? I often get spontaneous movement and the atlas cracks and pops like crazy, there's no pain though.

Yes, Yoga neck exercises seem to help a lot.

Before this I had pain sensations in both left and right shoulder blades, with the left one triggering first.

Its interesting to note that the Atlas bone is the 33rd bone of the spine and holds up the skull (heavens)

m123194294.gif

for the shoulder blades, try holding your arms out straight, palms facing down, then rotate the shoulder forward a bit, turning the palms backwards, then, continue on with the shoulder rotation going backwards, bending the elbows slightly and leading the rotation with them, until the elbows are facing down and the palms facing up, the arms in a slight V shape on either side of the body. Pull and round out the upper back longitudinally and also out to the sides, that will start the elbows down and closer in to the body - let the motion naturally turn until you are leading out with the elbows, let the forearms follow until you are back at the starting position :)

dips are good, too.

• Like 1

Tension in the area also has negative consequences for shutting up the Cranial Nerves - the XI Accessory nerve, specifically.

In anatomy, the accessory nerve is a nerve that controls specific muscles of the shoulder and neck. As part of it was formerly believed to originate in the brain, it is considered a cranial nerve. Based on its location relative to other such nerves, it is designated the eleventh of twelve cranial nerves, and is thus abbreviated CN XI.

Traditional descriptions of the accessory nerve divide it into two parts: a spinal part and a cranial part.[1] But because the cranial component rapidly joins the vagus nerve and serves the same function as other vagal nerve fibers, modern descriptions often consider the cranial component part of the vagus nerve and not part of the accessory nerve proper.[2] Thus in contemporary discussions of the accessory nerve, the common practice is to dismiss the cranial part altogether, referring to the accessory nerve specifically as the spinal accessory nerve.

The spinal accessory nerve provides motor innervation from the central nervous system to two muscles of the neck: the sternocleidomastoid muscle and the trapezius muscle. The sternocleidomastoid muscle tilts and rotates the head, while the trapezius muscle has several actions on the scapula, including shoulder elevation and adduction of the scapula.

Range of motion and strength testing of the neck and shoulders can be measured during a neurological examination to assess function of the spinal accessory nerve. Limited range of motion or poor muscle strength are suggestive of damage to the spinal accessory nerve, which can result from a variety of causes. Injury to the spinal accessory nerve is most commonly caused by medical procedures that involve the head and neck.[3]

The accessory nerve is derived from the basal plate of the embryonic spinal segments C1–C6.

• Like 1

sometimes if I feel a block there I do sort of a shoulder thrust and it works, just cocking them back/up and thrusting them forward/down a few times. This might be a bad idea for someone doing more forceful breathing or kundalini exercises, but seems to open clear the area pretty efficiently. I guess it probably works similar to "shaking" practice which I usually do for a bit as a warm up, and is generally recommended for kundalini balance. Of course, keep the tongue positioned to connect the front and back while doing this.

Getting craniosacral can help. It's very gentle and tends to open up a lot of things in a good way. Having becalm balls can sort of help, as well.

Taoists tap the area with their fingers, keep it warm in the winter and cover it so wind doesn't touch the area, massage it.

Never get atlas profilax (I think it may be illegal now), and avoid upper cervical chiropractic...a LOT of people have died from it, despite what chiropractors say.

Work on the rest of the spine, and the correct muscles that support it, and the upper will benefit as a side effect. Check out Foundation. That is one way of many.

• Like 1

cock the head a lot like a dog listening, on both sides, while doing spontaneous qigong or in flowing qigong state with your energy mobile and raised.

this is the important movement : raise your ears high, one at a time, listen to what the ceiling is saying, without being too obvious about it to any onlooker.

take it easy , dont rush.

• Like 2

Does anyone have any advice or resources in relation to the opening of the Jade Pillow/Upper Gate which is situated at the back of the neck?

Have you opened the 靈台 (ling tai) yet?

Then all the other points follow suit.

• Like 1

"ling tai" - GV 10

hm. prolly shoulders need to be really free and unblocked, no?

is this the back of the heart?

when one feels significant pressure (directed outward) in this area...would you say GV 10 is close to opening? :huh:

No - sorry.

I'm not referring to GV10.

Have you opened the 靈台 (ling tai) yet?

Then all the other points follow suit.

I don't know. I have not tried to open anything. When I had tried to open things I have fallen sick. So now I concentrate on mind only meditation. One thing I noticed is working with the mind, when different levels are hit, the body reacts in different ways.

But maybe I just slept on my neck the wrong way. :wub:

So we're clear about the tongue position from the very start and the in-breath sucking energy down the front or from below and into the scrotum and then temporarily amassing it in the general area including the perenium; and the out-breath pushing the energy and packing it into each stage before sending it along to the next stage… oui? So it's nice and cold and the scrotum is rising with each out-breath. Make sure its nice and cold down there before sending it up into the coccyx.

It is important to make sure there is sufficient energy having passed up through the lower active channel before sending it up further to the jade pillow. I do not focus on any part of the body. The lower channel must have a bit of cold "pressure" there… a head of steam, before intending it further through the coccyx.

When first opening the active channel, I have suspended a cleared a space above my body to attract energy towards that general direction. The focus must be open space, not a point of focus (just to give an example). Just make sure it's not too near your body (especially because it is your head).

Also, remember to keep the shoulders and chest relaxed. Having the upper body flexed at all amasses and traps energy in the heart region. And just because you don't think the passes and channels are open, still vaguely direct it through the whole cycle while still concentrating to hold the energy "up" (as if you were keeping liquid suspended in a drinking straw).

As for the Jade Pillow itself, it should tingle a bit. When it does, with your mouth closed, dip the chin down into the neck area while keeping the neck upright and relaxed. That's the pump~ and it can click somewhat down below and behind the ears.

The breath is paramount, but it's really about intent. Direct the energy with your mind. Filling the Pillow is also a matter of "emptying" your cranium. Emptiness beckons fulfillment. It's breath and mind together. Also pumping gently with the sphincter… like a 5-piece band getting warmed up, haha!!

As for localized pain that usually results because energy is left in the passes and channels and stagnates— make sure you work whatever is left in the orbit when you're done exercising and dissipate it through for a sufficient length of time. A thorough warm-down period is very important. The brain will absorb it even though you haven't opened things up yet.

• Like 3

Thank you very much Deci.

I am interest to know about the coldness in the scrotum.

One thing that has accompanied the pain and energy movement at the Jade Pillow is incredibly cold air passing through the nose. Almost like breathing pure cold oxygen.

I have had lots of strange sensations, only this time it has given me considerable discomfort at the back of the neck.

Though we breath through the nose, it's not about drawing air. The breathing is subtle, soft and easy. If you are moving cubic meters of air… try to regulate it to about cubic centimeters. Also you know know to avoid drafts and cold air, hmmm?

The cold is from the yin energy you are activating and amassing in the organs at the base of your body.

Relaxed, meditative breathing, warm, comfortable, no drafts, loose/no clothing, extended warm-down…❤

ed note… forgot about the "cold" part, heehee!!

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

I stopped using a pillow few nights ago. My neck feels looser and more balanced.

Thank you very much Deci.

I am interest to know about the coldness in the scrotum.

One thing that has accompanied the pain and energy movement at the Jade Pillow is incredibly cold air passing through the nose. Almost like breathing pure cold oxygen.

I have had lots of strange sensations, only this time it has given me considerable discomfort at the back of the neck.

Stop using your nose/sinuses to facilitate the movement of air ;) Only when you stop that air pressure buffering mechanism that the sinuses provide can you truly begin to breathe from the diaphragm, and only from the diaphragm (& psoas/perineum. Those are the 3 most fundamental structures to a meditative breath, everything else can be stripped away.)
  • Like 3

Just for balance, and for any readers of this thread who may be female... from the female point of view, we are to be very aware of making sure there is no coldness in this reproductive area at all, as it is a sign of stagnancy and is a red flag for potential health issues. The energy of the whole area needs to be vital and of balanced temperature.

I am not at all familiar with the idea of coldness being beneficial for males, either. I havent heard this. Perhpas I havent been paying attention, but I am surprised by it.

Cool energy is quite different from 'cold' by the way.

I'm not sure at all how 'cold' actually fits with the body. This may be 'cool refined energy' rather than 'cold'?

for example the fire of the spine and the cool waterfall of the front channel.. perhaps some would call that front fall 'cold'?

What then,in that case, would be the way to describe actual coldness of the field, which expresses stagnancy?

• Like 5

...With regard to extreme chill often experienced when succeeding at a new level of work.. this is the body in the process of finding a new homeostasis in relation to a new level of openness.

• Like 1

Just for balance, and for any readers of this thread who may be female... from the female point of view, we are to be very aware of making sure there is no coldness in this reproductive area at all, as it is a sign of stagnancy and is a red flag for potential health issues. The energy of the whole area needs to be vital and of balanced temperature.

I am not at all familiar with the idea of coldness being beneficial for males, either. I havent heard this. Perhpas I havent been paying attention, but I am surprised by it.

Cool energy is quite different from 'cold' by the way.

I'm not sure at all how 'cold' actually fits with the body. This may be 'cool refined energy' rather than 'cold'?

for example the fire of the spine and the cool waterfall of the front channel.. perhaps some would call that front fall 'cold'?

What then,in that case, would be the way to describe actual coldness of the field, which expresses stagnancy?

When the testicles get warm they naturally drop, "a radiator reaches out into the colder environment."

Thanks for mentioning the p&p. It feels like the motion of breath activates much below the diaphragm (in physical location) for me. The other day, a male friend was mentioning an awakening/aliveness of the perineum when meditating.

Ever watch a bee breathe? :D
  • Like 1

http://www.cyberbee.net/biology/ch3/

Bees also have an open circulatory system, meaning that they do not have veins or arteries, but rather all their internal organ are bathed in a liquid called ‘hemolymph’ (a mix of blood and lymphatic fluid). Bees breathe through a complex structure of network of tracheas and air sacs. Oxygen is vacuumed into the body through openings on each segment (spiracles) by the expansion of the air sacs, then the spiracles are closed and air sacs are compressed to force the air into smaller tracheas, which become smaller and smaller until individual tubules reach individual cells.

So bees basically do "embryonic breathing" by design - you see their abdomen move in and out, their "butt" moves in and out, because respiration and circulation are one for their anatomy ;)

• Like 2

Since this was concerning the male anatomy, I was only referring to what works for them. Why don't you start a thread for the femme MCO exercise, Rainbows, since we have a very different circuit?❤ We store energy in our breast area.

I have woken up in the middle of the night to realize that I am breathing through my heels! So air movement through the nose isn't the issue involved in moving energy.

Sign in to follow this