Aaron

... There's no need to argue anymore ...

But what if?

How?

Why

When?

Where?

What?

Who?

What time?

Why?

When?

Where was that?

What if?

versus

sky is dropping yellow unicorns as gracefully as broccoli smells five

"If someone slaps you in the face............."

...... you have not been cultivating diligently enough.

yes you have been a naughty boy et thoughts :)

But what if?

How?

Why

When?

Where?

What?

Who?

What time?

Why?

When?

Where was that?

What if?

versus

sky is dropping yellow unicorns as gracefully as broccoli smells five

Broccoli smells five in London?

You posh sods!

We dream about broccoli that smells five up here in poor old Broccoli smells two Leicestershire.

You guys must live like Ottoman potentates you and your five smelling broccoli.

• Like 1

yes you have been a naughty boy et thoughts :)

Nah just not concentrating on the cultivation cos you cultivate and no Babylan gonna slap ya face bwoy.

Ya mash im up good firs.

Nah just not concentrating on the cultivation cos you cultivate and no Babylan gonna slap ya face bwoy.

Ya mash im up good firs.

ha

If one belabours the cad about the head with one's machete (cutlass) then the nasty fellow will be in no position to attempt any slapping.

Indeed one could enjoy a leisurely stroll around the park and back whilst awaiting the ambulance to take him away.

HTH

Edited by GrandmasterP

they will tent to hold on to dreadful stuff without knowing it...

I dont like tents all that much. I dont want to be a brat and I dont want to hold onto dreadful stuff.

I dont like tents all that much. I dont want to be a brat and I dont want to hold onto dreadful stuff.

lmao

I suggest you focus on cultivating what you do want :-) because right now you are focusing on what you don't want...

I think many did get the notion that it was 'tenets' rather than 'tents' ... hey look at that... TENets.... maybe someone will now enumerate those ten tenets

I thought it was a tent. quite literally. I liked the image of holding onto dreadful stuff in a tent, it seemed graphically real.. in fact in a perverse sort of way it was even realistically desirable. My strong hunch is that you are going to tell us that the ten tenets are the ten tenets and that be true.

A little bird tells me you enjoy the axiomatic. It was a little bird outside the tent.

I do need to cultivate what I want you are absolutely right. I appreciate the focus.

• Like 1

I want to clarify some things, first it may seem that I would like to see all religions wiped off the face of the earth, and perhaps there's some truth to that, but I also recognize the right for people to believe what they want to believe. What I don't recognize is teaching children this stuff as if it's fact, rather than allowing them to come to an age where they can make up their minds regarding religion and deciding for themselves.

Case in point, we tell children that Santa is real, that he makes a list of everyone who's been naughty and nice (and that he checks it twice, apparently quite diligent in this regard), but when they get to a certain age we tell them the truth. However we have no problem telling them that Karma is real (or God) and that it isn't a fairly tale, but quite real. We reinforce this in them until they have an unwavering belief that it is true, however we have no factual evidence to back this up. It seems to me that Santa Claus is more benign than the idea of Karma or Sin, if you're going to allow them one delusion, let it be Santa and get rid of the Sin and Karma crap.

In regards to atheists and agnostics not caring about their body's or considering themselves insignificant, that's hogwash. I think atheists and agnostics have a very positive image of who they are and they tend to be just as moral and upright as the next guy, they just tend to view their morality from a more cause and effect standpoint, rather than a "do this or you're going to be reincarnated into an insect or go to hell" one.

I'm agnostic by the way, but not because I believe in God. I firmly deny the existence of God, however I don't deny that there is something greater than myself, however I choose to view this greater being as my own being, the fact that I am the Universe and the Universe is me. I am everything and everything is me. That's really the only reason most people don't consider me an atheist.

And I also firmly believe that world is wondrous and beautiful (and so are we) and that there is absolutely no reason to look for something else to recognize that we are indeed important and significant, we just need to look within ourselves. Now how do I remain a moral person, if I don't believe that someone or something is keeping track of all my behavior and choosing to punish me for my wrong doings? Well have you ever done something nice for someone and seen them smile and thank you for it? Well that's how I stay moral, because I really like it when other people are happy, because it makes me feel happy too. Call it an attachment, or whatever, but to me there's not many other things that can compete with being compassionate. In fact I really do consider a thank you more than enough payment for a kind deed.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Ahh the joy of rational thinking. Sometimes it's quite funny and can deceive yourself from the Tao. Didn't Lao Tzu say do away with knowledge?

Also, didn't our mystic ancestors say to beware of thinking too much with your head and less with your heart (intuition)?

you really don't want to get into an argument with me regarding the Tao Te Ching. I think there's a good chance I've been studying it longer than you've been alive. however, far be it from me to prevent you from making baseless accusations about my beliefs or practices.

Aaron

aaron I dont think he was talking to you...I wont comment on the rest of what you said, i think you can figure it out yourself

Lol. not intended to offend. I'm just saying that sometimes it's worst to overthink something and to ignore the essential part of life, intuition. honestly, it was aimed at anyone just for those who were willing to read it. You have to think deeply about what I have said. Plus isn't the name of this thread "There's no need to argue anymore"?

I don't think Lao Tzu meant to do away with all knowledge. He may have meant to do away with knowledge that are useless. Plus notice Lao Tzu didn't say do away with wisdom?

Also, sometimes the deepest amount of wisdom is found in the obvious and the most simple.

Aaron, I don't care if you're agnostic or atheist. I'm not even gonna say what you are because what point would that serve. I just posted on this thread to share wisdom with others not to argue over should you be an atheist or not?

Honestly, if we start a rant on what people should believe, we could end up cultivating hatred and intolerance. It's good to discuss these things but to start to cultivate hatred can be harmful to one's health.

Actually Lao Tzu was advocating learning from one's own experiences, rather than depending on others for their "truths". He constantly reiterates throughout the Tao Te Ching that the Sage teaches, not through words, but through actions, and that the truth is subjective and something we should never trust. In other words, when someone tells you a truth, question it immediately, even if it seems to be truthful.

So be done with knowledge, doesn't mean to be done with learning, but to be done with book learning. Chapter 20 is one of the most misunderstood chapters in the Tao Te Ching and one routinely ignored by the teachers of Taoist practices. When you hear a teacher say that they have the "truth" or are practicing "real" Taoism, then you should certainly question that teacher, if for no other reason than the fact they misunderstand the teachings of Lao Tzu within the Tao Te Ching.

Aaron

• Like 1