Sign in to follow this  
adept

Spiritual Literature - To Read Or Not To Read

Nah sorry. Understand it is a hot issue for some but you read Kalachakra Initiation then see if you don't agree that PRC is doing a bang up job as far as Tibet is concerned.

Panchen Lama is the main man, young lad only 27 but he's the right Lama in the right place.

How does a book about a Buddhist initiation ceremony translate into the PRC doing a good job in Tibet?

The Panchen Lama was kidnapped as a child and was at the time the youngest political prisoner in the world, then the PRC put in their own stooge which nobody recognises as being genuine.

It sounds like you have been swallowing the propaganda machine.

Have you read Kalachakra Initiation?

It's available on Amazon. Excellent remedy to all those ghost written and anodyne DL books aimed at the mass market.

He writes in there what he actually does and what his job is actually 'for'.

Yep, in the absence of a pro DL-'Tibetan Govt in exile' propoganda machine; I guess so.

Profound apologies.

;-)

Well the boy who was named the Panchen Lama in the Tibetan traditional way hasn't been seen since the Chinese authorities took him into custody for his own safety at the age of six years old, human rights campaigners are still fighting for his release.

It's available on Amazon. Excellent remedy to all those ghost written and anodyne DL books aimed at the mass market.

I will look it up then to try to understand what you are getting at.

GrandmasterP,

For those of us who aren't going to read the book (unfortunately it's not on kindle and I could give a shit about this kind of Buddhism)...can you sum up what it says in regard to what he does and what his job is for? This is the first time I've heard someone say that the PRC's actions have been correct. Is the Dalai Lama and the kalachakra initiation bad for some reason?

Edited by turtle shell

Enjoy.

There was an interview with PL in UK Sunday Times magazine last month. The lad seems to be very much his own man.

Will try to post a link next Monday. Can't do that on Kindle here at home.

Choice seems to me to be between a tribal mediaevalist autocrat trading upon superstition who has expressed a desire that his next incarnation be into his unelected Harvard educated 'Prime Minister' or a young chap somewhat the more in tune with this century who claims to be pro autonomy and modernisation.

I like to walk and I'm often too lazy to read. Thankfully there's a site DIYDHARMA.ORG . They have over a dozen audio speeches from my latest favorite spiritual writer Ajahn Brahms and a many great speeches from teachers, even guided meditations. Well worth checking out, everything free and easy to download.

The Chinese have as much authority to create their own Panchen Lama as they do the next Pope, but the politics of why he is coming into the public eye more now is because about 45 Tibetans have set fire to themselves in a year self mutilating out of protest about the good job the Chinese are doing, so he is their man to promote the party line, and as we saw with the Arab Spring even one guy self mutilating can cause a whole world of problems so they are nervous. Also the long game is that when the DL dies they will be promoting him as the spiritual leader of the Tibetans, the problem being that nobody recognises him as a genuine Lama, so they have to try to start to build up his profile in the public eye if its going to work as he is their propaganda stooge.

GrandmasterP,

For those of us who aren't going to read the book (unfortunately it's not on kindle and I could give a shit about this kind of Buddhism)...can you sum up what it says in regard to what he does and what his job is for? This is the first time I've heard someone say that the PRC's actions have been correct. Is the Dalai Lama and the kalachakra initiation bad for some reason?

I got it in PDF and read bits of it and it just looks like any other Dharma book so far, with explanation of what the ceremony is about and how to prepare with the usual stuff, it is about 500 pages long though so it may not be easy to work out what Grandmaster P is going on about seeing as he is being so vague and obscure about the whole thing for whatever reason I don't understand, unless he is just trolling as it is an easy subject to troll people about.

Apologies if I appeared to be trolling that was not the intent. There are strong views on both sides all equally valid. As I respect the opinions of others I've been in the woods long enough to know that's not a universal approach. Best to read the book, make up one's own mind and move on.

Some will agree with one view,others will not and no one will ever be argued into what is perceived to be an opposing camp.

We are each right in our views insofar as we have a right to hold views. Howsoever unpalatable such views may be to others.

Any offence caused by my own viewpoint here was unintentional and, on a Taoist forum; one could have hoped; not necessarily inevitable. Apologies once again that such seems to have been the case here. No more from me on this fractious issue.

Best to read the book, make up one's own mind and move on.

The only thing I'm strongly offended about is that you come here and say something, then tell us to go read some damn book. Explain yo self!

Thanks for the answer, K.

"So, you have a religious manual that says you should kill all non-believers, eat human flesh, have sex with 12 year old girls, and make vows to convert the entire world into your version of a paradise where the Dalai Lama is to rule as a supreme time lord military general and God-man."

"Yeah, but it's all just symbolic."

:)

Edited by turtle shell

Thanks for the answer, K.

"So, you have a religious manual that says you should kill all non-believers, eat human flesh, have sex with 12 year old girls, and make vows to convert the entire world into your version of a paradise where the Dalai Lama is to rule as a supreme time lord military general and God-man."

"Yeah, but it's all just symbolic."

:)

I get very unhappy and quite some concerned when I read 'spiritual' literature such as this.

'Symbolic of what?' is the main question I like to think about when reading 'spiritual' texts but I've noticed a tendency lately to read them all the same way (more or less). All to do with the 'ego' and its relationship to 'pure consciousness'. To me that says 'bad news' as it means I'm reading too many things with the same perspective. The irony in this should be immediately apparent.

Nah sorry. Understand it is a hot issue for some but you read Kalachakra Initiation then see if you don't agree that PRC is doing a bang up job as far as Tibet is concerned.

Panchen Lama is the main man, young lad only 27 but he's the right Lama in the right place.

Bang up job? Really? So if I killed your family, forced you to speak another language, force colonize your country and torture/imprison you that's a bang up job? Some "Qi Gong Teacher" you are...how much are the communists paying you? Edited by The Observer
  • Like 1

I get very unhappy and quite some concerned when I read 'spiritual' literature such as this.

Eh, lets focus on better things then. Like tea.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this