Marblehead

Marble Gardens & Fish Ponds

I was just speculating that since were moving into summer they might be moving into winter and the thing might need some kind of big sleep after a period of rapid growth. Its an interesting pet , thats for sure. 

Isnt that thing going to need to burrow into a mudbank at some point?

No. They live under the water. You might be thinking of salamander ?  Axolotls seem to like not too deep water, under vegetation and snap up anything struggling on the surface, little fish, small, crustaceans, etc. 

axolotl  (an amphibian that has stopped transition from laval stage to adult (like a tadpole with legs and tail that still lives in the water) ;

axolotl_memuco1.jpg

salamander ( a 'lizard' that is not a reptile but an amphibian )

rvariegatussr05m.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Interesting , its a Mexican critter. Edible too. MMmmm  and the parts grow back !

You may be on to something. ( I see they only get a foot long though.. finger food.) 

Edited by Stosh

But don't eat the salamanders.
Some are toxic right? Back in my college days I ran out of funds once and considered it. I instead ate a big beetle for ten bucks on a bet, then went and bought some food to tide me over.
  • Like 1

and took that $10 and went to the markets for a snack

11405615153_b11cf21210_b.jpg

If saw other people eating that stuff , I would be willing to. They actually look like nice healthy snacks. 

• Like 2

I have set up a small experimental pond for latest residents;   Cherax destructor ... how's that for a name !

Soon I will get a big tub happening, more stock and go larger scale 

cherax_destructor_albidus.JPG

.... eventually .... yum! 

r722668_5754616.JPG

• Like 3

I do love Cajun Crawfish.  Haven't had any in a while.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for a festival.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention yesterday but while walking around the gardens I noticed many more Snapdragons in bloom.  There are a few of most of the colors now although the seeds I put down for this year are the red variety.

I also noticed four flower stalks on the Daylilies so it won't be long til I see the first flowers from them.

• Like 1

Yeah.  Those are true tropicals.  Beautiful plant.  I have tried to grow them here but it didn't work.

BTW  I forgot to mention earlier, when I went out to the gardens this morning I was greeted by the first daylily flower of the season.  A solid yellow one with slightly frilled outer edges on the pedals.

There have also been a number of Moss Rose flowers the past few days.  The plants are growing in areas not intended for them so they will be transplanted very soon to more appropriate areas.

My Creeping Trumpet Vines are blooming.  I should have some Hummingbirds soon.

The Lantana are also blooming well and the butterflies are enjoying them.

• Like 1

I just experienced a miracle.

I went out back to feed the fish.  There are actually three different isolated sections where I feed - tho at the new pond complex and one at the deep end of the old pond complex.

As I was feeding the fish in the old pond I notice some movement that was larger than a minnow but not one of the gold fish.  I looked and, son of a gun, it's a little baby turtle.

I have no idea how it got in the pond.  It is too small to have climbed in by itself.  And it was swimming as if it was in its natural environment.  I moved it to a smaller section of the old pond complex.

I will likely return it to the wild after it grows up a bit.

• Like 2

Thought I would mention that I'm still doing Spring cleaning here at the ponds and gardens.  Just normal spring stuff at the ponds but I am busting my butt in the gardens.  Rearranging nearly the entire gardens area.  Removing some things and adding more things.  Trying to reduce the amount of maintenance requirements out there.

The Daylilies are doing nicely.  The first to open were the solid yellow ones but now I am getting other colors as well.

I bought some Mandevilla plants to replace the Creeping Trumpet vines I had.  Two pinks, one red and one white.

Still lots of work to do and I am pretty much limited to about four hours daily in the morning.  About noon time I run out of energy and it gets too hot anyway.

• Like 3

Yesterday morning I was greeted with a surprise from the Passion Vine.

It has always put out scarlet red flowers.  The first two this year were scarlet red.  Yesterday morning I go out and see two pastel pink flowers on the vine.  First time that has ever happened and I have no idea why it happened.  They were pretty though.

Something to do with the black snake in your garden?

Hehehe.  No.  The only thing I can think of is a change in the chemistry of the soil (doubtful) or the plant isn't getting enough nutrition (likely).  (I have done a lot of reorganizing out there and it is likely that some of its feeder roots got cut in the process.)

• Like 1

Curious if you will see more colour variations on it.

Yes, I'm curious too.  I'm not disappointed with the pink ones but they did look a little weaker than the normal flowers.  I might have to give the plant a shot of fertilizer.  (I don't normally fertilize it, just water and occasionally spray for aphids.)

• Like 2

Aphids!!! Little beasts!

I bought a couple of citronella plants in October, they were beautiful, in the beginning. About two weeks after I planted them, I noticed that some of the leaves were turning yellow, dried out, and finally brown and dead. There was no way that they were getting too much or not enough water, so I went on the hunt.

Aphids seem to love citronella. Seemed odd to me that the little beast would like a natural repellant so much.

A few shots of some neem oil chased them off, and they are now thriving. One of them even bloomed little purple flowers.

1/2 tablespoon of neem oil to one quart of water in a hand sprayer works wonders :)

• Like 1