^ How have you found maintaining physicality?

Well, I've started doing some weight training 3 times a week to supplement my other practices. Nothing too heavy though. Just looking for muscular definition, fat burning and strength rather than bulk. Plenty of daily walks and my Xingyi Neigong.

Diet is basically, no grains, low carbs, high in protein and moderate fat. No sugar or sweeteners of any kind.

Good quality meat, fish, veg, fruit and nuts. Lots of water, green, oolong and white tea and occasional coffee. Moderate dairy consumption. That's about it really.

Once I was a couple of weeks in, I didn't notice any hunger on a morning.

Seems to be working fine and I feel so much healthier.

Well, I've started doing some weight training 3 times a week to supplement my other practices. Nothing too heavy though. Just looking for muscular definition, fat burning and strength rather than bulk. Plenty of daily walks and my Xingyi Neigong.

Diet is basically, no grains, low carbs, high in protein and moderate fat. No sugar or sweeteners of any kind.

Good quality meat, fish, veg, fruit and nuts. Lots of water, green, oolong and white tea and occasional coffee. Moderate dairy consumption. That's about it really.

Once I was a couple of weeks in, I didn't notice any hunger on a morning.

Seems to be working fine and I feel so much healthier.

Cheers :)

At the period of their greatest power, the Greeks and Romans ate only one meal a day. Dr. Oswald says: “For more than a thousand years the one-meal system was the rule in two countries that could raise armies of men every one of whom would have made his fortune as a modern athlete–men who marched for days under a load of iron (besides clothes and provisions) that would stagger a modern porter.” He also says, “The Romans of the Republican age broke their fast with a biscuit and a fig or two, and took their principle meal in the cool of the evening.” Among the many things that have been offered as an explanation for their physical, mental and moral decline has been their sensuous indulgence in food which came with power and riches.

“The Hygienic System: Orthotrophy” by Dr Herbert M. Shelton, originally published in 1935:

http://www.theiflife...meal-frequency/

11. Building Health And Strength

Many physical workers and athletes think they must eat excessively to maintain strength and endurance—but the result is premature aging.

Professor Gilman Low demonstrated the ability of the body to build and maintain Herculean strength and great endurance on little food. He trained for two months. For the first five weeks he ate one meal a day, almost all uncooked foods. During the last three weeks he ate only four meals a week. In fifty-six days of training, he ate forty-seven meals. After the first five weeks of almost all uncooked foods, he ate eggs, whole wheat bread, cereals, fruit, nuts, milk and distilled water.

Eleven hours after the last meal, he lifted 1,000 pounds 1,006 times in 34 minutes and four seconds. Fifteen minutes later, he lifted one ton 44 times in four minutes.

The preceding details about Professor Low's spectacular feat is given in Dr. Shelton's Volume II, pp. 285-286, but no information is included on the date this occurred, the height and weight of Professor Low, and whether or not he was a professional weight lifter.

This was an impressive demonstration of the fact that health and strength can be maintained on minimum amounts of food, but, in general, Dr. Shelton says, "It is quite true that a man needs more protein while he is building large muscular bulk, and he perhaps needs a little more protein than the average man to maintain so much muscular structure, but it is a fallacy to think that he needs and can use as much protein as is consumed today by men who train with weights." (Dr. Shelton's Hygienic Review, March 1974, p. 161.)

On the other hand, it is true that there is an important relationship between activity and the amounts of food that can be efficiently processed by the organism. The combination of sedentary habits and dietary errors, especially overeating, will inevitably lead to disease. Active people, who make vigorous activity and regular exercise an integral part of their lives, are better able to process the food that they eat—to reap the benefits—and even to discard undesirable substances and excesses.

Dr. Shelton says (Dr. Shelton's Hygienic Review, March 1974, p. 150), "Excess of food is often but another term for a lack of fresh air and exercise."

http://www.rawfoodex...d-strength.html

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

What really convinced me to try intermittent fasting, is the research that shows how it helps promote insulin sensitivity in humans.

IMO, the real reason why all diets fail once stopped, and why people regain their weight (this book is good for showing tons of studies on the failure of dieting), is because of insulin/leptin resistance. This is also tied into low testosterone, and of course tons of other scientific things that I don't understand.

All of the low-carb/low-glycemic diets out there are based on this problem (also called metabolic syndrome), trying to even out the glucose and insulin spikes by micromanaging carb intake...but basically, everyone's been doing it wrong, besides the fact that dieting is annoying and unnatural. When we eat, we want to eat good things. There is a reason why skinny people stay skinny, despite eating whatever they want. There is a reason why we like eating sugars and fats...it's because they aren't bad.

Two studies showing changes in insulin sensitivity:

http://jap.physiolog.../99/6/2128.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8238506

White wolf, hope you don't mind some science and health focused posts in your topic, rather than just fasting for spiritual purposes.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 1

Ok, I am on day 6 of a water fast. I was going to break it today but maybe hold out a bit longer, because now that my digestiion system is completely shut down, its very detoxing, and gain the most benefit. Nothing but water. There are other types of fasting, but for rapid deep cleansing you shouldnt eat anything, its a completely different ball game to take even juice.

Its not so much fun, thats the drawback. Plus no energy to do much. Meditation is challenging, I suppose because of the thoughts and stuff coming up, plus, difficult to put your heart into it when you feel like a selfish whiner. I expected to do some yoga and energy practises to pass all the time but feel too exhausted to do them, and also dizzying. I think when you can fast and meditate properly that would be what would be a breakthough.

Water fasting is pretty common, up to 40 days. Please search "Alan Goldhamer" on youtube on safe waterfasting, as he runs a clinic an has tons of good info. Other good stuff on youtube, just have to search water fasting. The biggest reason people dont fast is fear, or just lack of serious information.

The sufis practised a kind of fasting where they took a bit of food every other day, and I think that sounds like my next foray, as I'd rather have the strength to meditate and do yoga.

So far, no speaking with God or Tao, but lost most of my stomach fat.

• Like 1

Normal water. I've never heard of salt water in the fast.

I think this Taoist quote says what I've been feeling, essentially you have to have detoxed enough so your mind is clear and you don't meditate properly or try to communicate with divines while feeling all wrapped up in your ego, and its tough because you feel like crap, and mind tends to want to whine like a self-absorbed kid--and that creates the emotional physical state in your body and effects qi an chakras etc. So to reach that stage either by mental perserverance or perhaps getting past the detox effects, then you can really make huge progress.

"Fasting has two functions. Firstly, it is a step to cultivate the Tao. Taoist scriptures state: "Fasting is necessary for a Taoist to cultivate Perfection in a Taoist temple. Be careful about what you say and be prudent so as not to make mistakes. Then you may approach Tao." Taoism believes that fasting is the root of Tao and the bridge of skills. If one is to cultivate Tao, he must fast and obey the commandments, keep the perfect Tao in one's mind, and then one's evil desires disappear automatically."

Secondly, it is a method of communicating with divines. When it comes to fasting and reciting scriptures, Zhang Yuchu wrote in the Ten Daoist Commandments: "Anyone cultivating Tao must fast for a clean body as well as a pure heart, and he must visualize the divines and read Taoist scriptures silently in his mind. It is as if facing the Higher Emperor, communicating with him with the heart. Once concentrating on it with a pure heart, he will understand the perfect meaning of the Tao. If one reads aloud the scriptures in a clear and melodious sound, the Vital Breath will rise and harmonize smoothly, so one can accumulate merits quicklyhh

If you are talking about intestinal parasites like round worm, you starve them, but I hear it takes 14-30 days. I bought some chinese medicine to do after the fast, because I dont plan on taking it that long, and hopefully it will knock them out. You cant know until you start producing stool.

If you are talking about the 3 worms of Taoism, they feed off of grain, so just stop eating the 5 grains.

If its the etheric worms, if they exist, then you starve them like normal parasites, or perhaps the body is able to mobilze defences against them. Im not sure if I believe in etheric worms though.

OK. good.. Next time around I will do a salt water flush maybe on the 2nd day. It also helps to clear some crap out of your intestines, and that would bring around ketosis more quickly. This is my first strict water fast.

What really convinced me to try intermittent fasting, is the research that shows how it helps promote insulin sensitivity in humans.

IMO, the real reason why all diets fail once stopped, and why people regain their weight (this book is good for showing tons of studies on the failure of dieting), is because of insulin/leptin resistance. This is also tied into low testosterone, and of course tons of other scientific things that I don't understand.

All of the low-carb/low-glycemic diets out there are based on this problem (also called metabolic syndrome), trying to even out the glucose and insulin spikes by micromanaging carb intake...but basically, everyone's been doing it wrong, besides the fact that dieting is annoying and unnatural. When we eat, we want to eat good things. There is a reason why skinny people stay skinny, despite eating whatever they want. There is a reason why we like eating sugars and fats...it's because they aren't bad.

Two studies showing changes in insulin sensitivity:

http://jap.physiolog.../99/6/2128.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8238506

White wolf, hope you don't mind some science and health focused posts in your topic, rather than just fasting for spiritual purposes.

Quite alright, very interesting stuff cheers.

I think maybe it best to be clear on what type of sugars etc though... I am assuming the sugars refer to natural fruit sugars etc, not refined white sugar (poison).

+ The type of fats... as one can get ample oils etc from nuts and other plant based things.

> Depending on ones preferences

The salt water travels through your digestive tract and clears your intestines so they do not become impacted and you do not have toxic materials sitting static in your gut for too long. I was advised to use this method by a D.O. who was also a very accomplished Taoist. What is the longest you have done this water fast for?

What salt do you speak of? there are many types of salts.

This is my latest development in terms of fasting that I have been researching lately

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25344-shivambu-kalpa-vidhi-alchemy/

^ I think this is the next step / In terms of salts perhaps the Taoists refer to this too

Here are some additional links for those interested.

http://aquariusthewaterbearer.com/the-truth/24-doctors-tell-the-truth.html

"The Water of Life" by John Armstrong ( This book is about 130 pages... doesn't take long to read and may change your life)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/449835/The-Water-of-Life

Best to read through the website and additional resources... I think you will be amazed.

Ok, I am on day 6 of a water fast. I was going to break it today but maybe hold out a bit longer, because now that my digestiion system is completely shut down, its very detoxing, and gain the most benefit. Nothing but water. There are other types of fasting, but for rapid deep cleansing you shouldnt eat anything, its a completely different ball game to take even juice.

Its not so much fun, thats the drawback. Plus no energy to do much. Meditation is challenging, I suppose because of the thoughts and stuff coming up, plus, difficult to put your heart into it when you feel like a selfish whiner. I expected to do some yoga and energy practises to pass all the time but feel too exhausted to do them, and also dizzying. I think when you can fast and meditate properly that would be what would be a breakthough.

Water fasting is pretty common, up to 40 days. Please search "Alan Gioldhamer" on youtube on safe waterfasting, as he runs a clinic an has tons of good info. Other good stuff on youtube, just have to search water fasting. The biggest reason people dont fast is fear, or just lack of serious information.

The sufis practised a kind of fasting where they took a bit of food every other day, and I think that sounds like my next foray, as I'd rather have the strength to meditate and do yoga.

So far, no speaking with God or Tao, but lost most of my stomach fat.

If you can work up a sweat, then brush your body with one of those brushes you get from a health store which is not too hard but not too soft, then shower. As you fast you will be breaking down loads of toxins which will be brought to the surface of your skin, if you brush you open your pores and remove the waste otherwise the toxins can just be reabsorbed into the body poisoning it. This way you open the pores which releases pressure from the organs which are detoxing as well as the lungs and kidneys. I have heard the Ketsbah Sufis talk about the importance of this as well as others like Franz Brandon in his Hermetics. I can confirm the benefits of this myself too.

• Like 1

There is a reason why skinny people stay skinny, despite eating whatever they want.

Does the articles you linked explain this? This basically describes me, i can eat a lot or a little my weight just doesn't change.

Also, fasting if you are skinny? Is it potentially hazardous?

I would like to try fasting but only if i wouldn't lose weight in the long run.

Does the articles you linked explain this? This basically describes me, i can eat a lot or a little my weight just doesn't change.

That's because that is how the body is supposed to work (and does work in a natural context). Link

There is a reason why skinny people stay skinny, despite eating whatever they want.

In my opinion, you should read this book for the best explanation of what's happening, and the reasons why (although I disagree with the diet and exercise plan that the book suggests). madMUHHH is right, it's because your weight fluctuates around a set point, which has been determined by your hormones over a long period of time.

In my opinion, intermittent fasting has the potential to lower the set point due to increased insulin/leptin sensitivity...but it should probably be done over a long period of time for a permanent lowering of the set point. And it seems easier to raise the set point (by having extreme carb binges) than to maintain it or lower it. So part of the plan must include eating normal and balanced when you're not fasting, for the person who wants to lower it.

About whether a skinny person should do it...they should stay in contact with their doctor when doing it. You don't want to go below a certain bodyfat percentage, because your health will greatly diminish. It could literally take years off of your life.

I think if you're skinny, and you want to raise your set point, don't fast. Eat until you're full like 5 or 6 meals a day, every few hours. Lift heavy weights. Don't be afraid of junk food and extra sweets or fatty foods. This might work.

@White Wolf. I'm off to the beach.

Ish, I just googled it, http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1300624

I think there are more than one reasons why a person could be skinny like you, for example having to do with the helpful bacteria colonies in your digestive system, impared or some kind of problem of that system, or "fast metabolism", etc

I think fasting might be beneficial because it would help your food absorbtion and would allow you to gain weight. But you cant know if you are too scared to try, which is where alot of people are. I'm sure you could research your particular question.

Cool :)

I agree with De Paradise too ^^

I think if you're skinny, and you want to raise your set point, don't fast. Eat until you're full like 5 or 6 meals a day, every few hours. Lift heavy weights. Don't be afraid of junk food and extra sweets or fatty foods. This might work.

^ this might kill you (though exercise is good / I think there are other threads on weightlifting)

haha

You don't want to put on weight / fat ... which is all that will happen with ^^ and fat is toxic waste the body can not process due to the system being overloaded...

You want lean muscle build / if you look at many native people they are "skinny" though very well built / muscular / fit.

+ Others practicing natural diets... no processed foods etc.

You really don't need to eat that much... all you are doing is overloading the body / stress otherwise...which leads to dis ease.

The higher quality food you eat the less you need to eat... I have found recently by eating mostly to all raw (as opposed to cooked) veges + fruit... also much less in the way of salts / spices etc... I need much less + the taste buds adjust and the food is delightful on its own.

+ most importantly I feel great.

and not sluggish... as the body uses a tremendous amount of energy in digesting food.

Look at these articles about fasting. All are scientifically backed up and really really great source of information.

Why Fast? Part One – Weight Loss

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Two – Cancer

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-cancer/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Three – Longevity

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-longevity-lifespan/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Four – Brain Health

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-brain-function/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Five – Exercise

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-exercise-workout-recovery/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Six – Choosing a Method

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-fast-part-six-choosing-a-method/#axzz24HiGEToi

Why Fast? Part Seven – Q&A

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-questions-answers/#axzz24HiGEToi

Edited by Shagrath
  • Like 2