Lucky7Strikes

The External World is Ultimately Unsatisfactory

When all your external needs have been fulfilled are you happy? Are you truly joyous in the satisfaction of your bodily needs? Maybe you are at a moment of peace. But what comes after? Boredom maybe. Restlessness.

I would speak from first hand experience that it is not enough. This isn't because someone told me about God, but it is at the very core and the very wonder of being human. Humans want much more than mere survival, there is this deep yearning to evolve, to expand, to experience, to discover. Gods, heavens, and all the tales of something beyond have been invented from this inner yearning. All perversions of greed and lust also are rooted in it. To dismiss them as a mere "wants" to be curtailed and suffering is to deny a very essential energy within you that seeks for something greater than bodily existence. I would say one should want, and want very intensely in the purest sense of desire without it being attached to material delusions. To trace that wanting back inwards and see that your awareness has this necessity to evolve.

Well that's simply because you've fallen into the trap that believes that you have a void to be filled in the first place. The void doesn't exist, it's only there because you've convinced yourself you're missing something. Stop believing there is something more and accept what is and you wont want to look for something more, you'll be content with what you have.

This is the truth of the matter, you can't seek happiness, only satisfaction. Happiness, like suffering, is fleeting, because it lies at the extreme of the spectrum, what we should be seeking is contentment (not even peace so much) and if we can learn to be content, then happiness and sadness won't matter so much.

You're fooling yourself into believing you need something else to bring you meaning and happiness, when in fact both of these things are ghosts, we can see them, but never keep them, because they are ephemeral and fleeting. Again, the key is being aware of your needs and wants, diminishing your desires, and in so doing finding acceptance with what is happening in your life. Acceptance will lead to contentment and within that contentment you wont want to feel happy anymore, because you'll have something that lasts and satisfies you.

Remember you don't need Buddha, Lao Tzu, Jesus, a qigong master, or anyone else to bring you satisfaction in your life. That is something you already have the capacity for, you need only understand how to achieve it.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

This is the truth of the matter, you can't seek happiness, only satisfaction. Happiness, like suffering, is fleeting, because it lies at the extreme of the spectrum, what we should be seeking is contentment (not even peace so much) and if we can learn to be content, then happiness and sadness won't matter so much.

Very nice Aaron! I am discovering this truth more and more in my life daily as well.

Well that's simply because you've fallen into the trap that believes that you have a void to be filled in the first place. The void doesn't exist, it's only there because you've convinced yourself you're missing something. Stop believing there is something more and accept what is and you wont want to look for something more, you'll be content with what you have.

You're fooling yourself into believing you need something else to bring you meaning and happiness, when in fact both of these things are ghosts, we can see them, but never keep them, because they are ephemeral and fleeting. Again, the key is being aware of your needs and wants, diminishing your desires, and in so doing finding acceptance with what is happening in your life. Acceptance will lead to contentment and within that contentment you wont want to feel happy anymore, because you'll have something that lasts and satisfies you.

Remember you don't need Buddha, Lao Tzu, Jesus, a qigong master, or anyone else to bring you satisfaction in your life. That is something you already have the capacity for, you need only understand how to achieve it.

Aaron

Well, first I don't feel like there's a void to be filled. I feel, no rather, I AM this nature that is yearning for inner expansion. It's a fuel synonymous with being alive. When you isolate the energy of desire from all the external things it's been attached to, and it is simply there with a pure sense of being, it is a tremendously blissful energy imploding within.

And, IMO, your stance is an example of another popular spiritual teaching that has been misunderstood: acceptance.

The type of mindset you are advocating is one of passivity that caters to a search for security, not transcendence. I think this happens when one suffers consistently from the ups and down of emotions, bodily pain, etc, he/she sees that there is problem with desiring for certain conditions so they stick to the mantra of "accept, accept, accept." IME when you do this you become very lukeworm, dull, liveliness really goes down. You end up a repressed being, and basically on a slow walk to the grave, all the while pretending this is being content. That type of contentment is a protective layer from suffering, not a genuinely spiritual life. You are really cutting off a very basic nature of yourself simply because it's not properly handled.

Acceptance as a teaching, I believe, is not so that the mind can go "accept, accept, accept" whenever a unfavorable circumstance arises, but it is to guide the seeker to see an aspect of his being that is always already in acceptance. It's a characteristic of awareness, when it is not intertwined so much in mental and bodily activities, to be completely open like space.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I look far and wide for that which i dont know

But i find oneday that i lost my self

Of all the books of knowledge in my mind's endless aisle

The one about my self is not on even one shelf

When i let go off these books can i turn back to me

And then will i learn that i was already free

Nice poem. I found that at certain points, reading spiritual texts can become great hindrance instead of support.

Well, first I don't feel like there's a void to be filled. I feel, no rather, I AM this nature that is yearning for inner expansion. It's a fuel synonymous with being alive. When you isolate the energy of desire from all the external things it's been attached to, and it is simply there with a pure sense of being, it is a tremendously blissful energy imploding within.

And, IMO, your stance is an example of another popular spiritual teaching that has been misunderstood: acceptance.

The type of mindset you are advocating is one of passivity that caters to a search for security, not transcendence. I think this happens when one suffers consistently from the ups and down of emotions, bodily pain, etc, he/she sees that there is problem with desiring for certain conditions so they stick to the mantra of "accept, accept, accept." IME when you do this you become very lukeworm, dull, liveliness really goes down. You end up a repressed being, and basically on a slow walk to the grave, all the while pretending this is being content. That type of contentment is a protective layer from suffering, not a genuinely spiritual life. You are really cutting off a very basic nature of yourself simply because it's not properly handled.

Acceptance as a teaching, I believe, is not so that the mind can go "accept, accept, accept" whenever a unfavorable circumstance arises, but it is to guide the seeker to see an aspect of his being that is always already in acceptance. It's a characteristic of awareness, when it is not intertwined so much in mental and bodily activities, to be completely open like space.

First, if you think acceptance is passive, then you're sorely mistaken (literally it seems). Acceptance takes practice and work and it isn't achieved overnight. Second, I can't even count the number of philosophers and messiahs that have said what you've said, so it's not original, nor was it a great insight into self awareness, it's something you were taught about yourself that's not true.

You are everything in existence. There is really no separation between you and me, except for our concept of "I", which we've been taught. You are not the passenger of a vehicle, you are are your body, just as your body is the universe. If there is a God or solution, then you are it my friend, regardless of what you want to think. You are seeking a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, only in your imagination. You've listened long enough that you believe you're on the path to some great revelation, but I've been to that revelation, dwelt there with bliss and happiness and realized it was all for naught. The truth is that the meaning that I found wasn't the meaning at all, because in the end there is no meaning to life. We think we can find solace by coming up with a definition, but very few people are capable of finding a definition to satisfy their needs. The question is whether or not we can stop seeking to define life and instead just live it.

If you can live life and accept the things that happen in your life, without believing that the universe is out to get you, or that they have happened for some greater purpose, then you can get a parking ticket and say, "I parked in the wrong spot", rather than believe that karma has caught up with you. When someone you love dies you can mourn their loss, rather than wonder why "God" has taken them from you. You don't have to explain things as having some greater purpose than they do, you can accept the universe on its own terms, realizing you are the universe. Death is not to be feared, because you will live on so long as reality exists, maybe not as "I" that you believe you are, but as the ultimate reality you actually are.

This is not an easy or passive task, in fact it's much easier to place the onus on the supernatural, god, or some divine retribution, than it is to accept that things just happen. It's much easier to say, "If I'm a good boy, nothing bad will happen" or "Bad things happened because I was a bad boy." That's how children think and they believe this crap because they're taught it.

Be done with knowledge, wipe your slate clean, and start anew and see what happens. Stop searching and let the universe come to you, then the mysteries will be revealed and you will no longer feel the need to find some higher purpose, because you will realize that every breath you breath is that purpose, every drop of water that falls is that purpose, just as every word I type is that purpose. The meaning of life is simply to live it, not find a purpose for it.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

First, if you think acceptance is passive, then you're sorely mistaken (literally it seems). Acceptance takes practice and work and it isn't achieved overnight. Second, I can't even count the number of philosophers and messiahs that have said what you've said, so it's not original, nor was it a great insight into self awareness, it's something you were taught about yourself that's not true.

Passivity can take a lot of work because a significant aspect of you is activity. Acceptance can become a very passive way of existence when the mind utilizes the concept to cope with conditions. Your second point is pretty moot. People have said lots of things, even more so of the things you wrote. I never said this is some great insight or an original thought. But what I write I write from experience. Whether you believe that or not is not up to me.

You are everything in existence. There is really no separation between you and me, except for our concept of "I", which we've been taught. You are not the passenger of a vehicle, you are are your body, just as your body is the universe. If there is a God or solution, then you are it my friend, regardless of what you want to think. You are seeking a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, only in your imagination. You've listened long enough that you believe you're on the path to some great revelation, but I've been to that revelation, dwelt there with bliss and happiness and realized it was all for naught. The truth is that the meaning that I found wasn't the meaning at all, because in the end there is no meaning to life. We think we can find solace by coming up with a definition, but very few people are capable of finding a definition to satisfy their needs. The question is whether or not we can stop seeking to define life and instead just live it.

Meaning of life? I never wrote anything about the meaning of life. You are insinuating too many ideas from an experiential insight I've had that I am sharing. I don't know what the meaning of life, or what God is.

Also I have no experience (nor do you I presume) of what you wrote about the non-separation between you and I. I can theoretically guess that might be true, but it also might not be true. So since it is not in my direct experience that this so called "I" is at one with the "world" or "you" I can't really comment on what you wrote here. But my guess is you haven't experienced these either. But they are merely ideas.

If you can live life and accept the things that happen in your life, without believing that the universe is out to get you, or that they have happened for some greater purpose, then you can get a parking ticket and say, "I parked in the wrong spot", rather than believe that karma has caught up with you. When someone you love dies you can mourn their loss, rather than wonder why "God" has taken them from you. You don't have to explain things as having some greater purpose than they do, you can accept the universe on its own terms, realizing you are the universe. Death is not to be feared, because you will live on so long as reality exists, maybe not as "I" that you believe you are, but as the ultimate reality you actually are.

This is not an easy or passive task, in fact it's much easier to place the onus on the supernatural, god, or some divine retribution, than it is to accept that things just happen. It's much easier to say, "If I'm a good boy, nothing bad will happen" or "Bad things happened because I was a bad boy." That's how children think and they believe this crap because they're taught it.

I never wrote about any of these things. If you simply discard all these idea you seem to have about "no supernatural" "no meaning of life" "no God" "karma" (it appears you have a set of "anti"-beliefs) or whatever and simply just see your awareness and the life energies vibrating as your being, this intesive aliveness begins to arise and it becomes clearer and clearer that it is trying to expand beyond its current limitations. The more familiar I became with this tendency, I saw that most, if not all, of my externally driven efforts arise from it. But here you are talking about all these terms, God, karma, supernatural, meaning of life, greater purpose....endless ideas!

Be done with knowledge, wipe your slate clean, and start anew and see what happens. Stop searching and let the universe come to you, then the mysteries will be revealed and you will no longer feel the need to find some higher purpose, because you will realize that every breath you breath is that purpose, every drop of water that falls is that purpose, just as every word I type is that purpose. The meaning of life is simply to live it, not find a purpose for it.

I think this is written more for yourself. But why care about the universe? Just simply discard all this and see your awareness and life energies as they are and what they are doing.

Live in contentment as a mere bodily existence...I'm telling you you will become very lukewarm, disassociated, repressed. All sorts of attachments start to happen to material things and persons. And your mind will go roaring every time small agitations come, "accept! accept! accept!"

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

Aaron

Let me understand what you said... we be it, the universe, the solution, God and the meaning of life is to have no higher purpose, no meaning at all nor any knowledge.... and just be aware that in the end there is no meaning to life...

Let me thing about what you said and propose...

Well evidently the meaning of life is to have higher purposes, with divine meanings at all times and much knowledge.... being aware of what be, what can be, while cultivating the experiences that will be once and for all...Why talk about the end... when it just keeps going and going and going... 'there is no meaning to life' may be the story some tell themselves to keep from finding and living the true meaning to life... it can be summed up in one word... LOVE! This purpose, its divine meaning and knowledge can provide the purpose for it all... IF one truly understands-feels-knows LOVE. This you do by being loved and by loving and a bit more... it involves everything and nothing at all... the simplest of things ... and the most complicated!

Evidently

--- on the one hand we have the meaning of life involves living life with purpose

--- on the other hand we have the no meaning to life other than living life

--- At least we agree that life is to be lived !

I prefer the having a purpose for it all than not having a purpose for any of it at all...

Passivity can take a lot of work because a significant aspect of you is activity. Acceptance can become a very passive way of existence when the mind utilizes the concept to cope with conditions. Your second point is pretty moot. People have said lots of things, even more so of the things you wrote. I never said this is some great insight or an original thought. But what I write I write from experience. Whether you believe that or not is not up to me.

Meaning of life? I never wrote anything about the meaning of life. You are insinuating too many ideas from an experiential insight I've had that I am sharing. I don't know what the meaning of life, or what God is.

Also I have no experience (nor do you I presume) of what you wrote about the non-separation between you and I. I can theoretically guess that might be true, but it also might not be true. So since it is not in my direct experience that this so called "I" is at one with the "world" or "you" I can't really comment on what you wrote here. But my guess is you haven't experienced these either. But they are merely ideas.

I never wrote about any of these things. If you simply discard all these idea you seem to have about "no supernatural" "no meaning of life" "no God" "karma" (it appears you have a set of "anti"-beliefs) or whatever and simply just see your awareness and the life energies vibrating as your being, this intesive aliveness begins to arise and it becomes clearer and clearer that it is trying to expand beyond its current limitations. The more familiar I became with this tendency, I saw that most, if not all, of my externally driven efforts arise from it. But here you are talking about all these terms, God, karma, supernatural, meaning of life, greater purpose....endless ideas!

I think this is written more for yourself. But why care about the universe? Just simply discard all this and see your awareness and life energies as they are and what they are doing.

Live in contentment as a mere bodily existence...I'm telling you you will become very lukewarm, disassociated, repressed. All sorts of attachments start to happen to material things and persons. And your mind will go roaring every time small agitations come, "accept! accept! accept!"

Sigh... no point in continuing. You don't get it. Maybe some day you'll understand, but right now you're still too conditioned to let go and live.

Aaron

But here you are talking about all these terms, God, karma, supernatural, meaning of life, greater purpose....endless ideas!

I find sort of humorous how some make stuff exist and go on about its nonexistence rather than focus on making and cultivating the stuff to experience.

------

That just hit a coord that I need to explore in further detail--- How to construct enriching insightful experiences with others that move others to also construct enriching insightful experiences...

Showing them the problem and solution just does not seem to work... some clamp up

Sigh... no point in continuing. You don't get it. Maybe some day you'll understand, but right now you're still too conditioned to let go and live.

Aaron

Aaron... please continue and live this process a bit more... there is a point , an important point that I hope you (and others) get, I am sure you will understand it when you understand it. 'no point in continuing' may just be a way to keep you from reaching and realizing something about the conditioned condition ... Note the statement you made: "right now you're still too conditioned to let go and live". Indeed some right now are quite conditioned to let go (of what they hold that enslaves them) and live (the truth that allows them to move).

Aaron... please continue and live this process a bit more... there is a point , an important point that I hope you (and others) get, I am sure you will understand it when you understand it. 'no point in continuing' may just be a way to keep you from reaching and realizing something about the conditioned condition ... Note the statement you made: "right now you're still too conditioned to let go and live". Indeed some right now are quite conditioned to let go (of what they hold that enslaves them) and live (the truth that allows them to move).

Have you noticed I haven't responded to your remarks? It's not because I agree with you, it's because I don't see the point. Please leave me out of this conversation.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Have you noticed I haven't responded to your remarks? It's not because I agree with you, it's because I don't see the point. Please leave me out of this conversation.

Aaron

I see the point... I even see that you don't see the point, nor care to see it...

You state what you consider, I state what I consider , each chooses if to read and respond or not...

Why do you ask me to do stuff for you when evidently you will not do what I asked?

That you choose to respond (or not respond) to my remarks that be your business.

I see a point... in continuing and thus I continue...

You claim not to see a point and still you ask me to leave you out of the conversation rather than you just staying out of it... yourself...

if you choose to continue... respond if not don't... BTW in public forums like this every post invites whomever wants to participate to participate...

My internal friend speaks of external matters, very often.

He says things like: "I don't know wether I am fucking her or I am being fucked by her?"

The diffrence is very subtle, but profound!

Edited by Everything

He says things like: "I don't know wether I am fucking her or I am being fucked by her?"

That profound difference becomes quite irrelevant when actually making love!

BTW note someone end all f+++ed up regardless of f+++ing or being f+++ed ...

Edited by et-thoughts

LOL

You are definitely fucking her!