Aaron

Wu Wei: Real or Myth?

I'm not a Dao De Jing scholar and I haven't read much of it lately.

I practice Daoist methods (Taijiquan, Baguazhang, Daoist meditation, Qigong) much more than I read the philosophy.

That said, I do feel that many of the chapters of DDJ reflect the approach of Wu Wei, particularly with respect to governance and interacting with others.

Explicitly, governance relates to overseeing a group of people.

Implicitly, as everyone knows I'm sure, it can be extended to oneself and personal relationship.

Similarly, the concept is widely addressed in the Zhuangzi as well.

Whether the Wu Wei concept is purely Daoist, purely Buddhist, Non-dual, or an amalgam of influences over time is not terribly relevant to me.

Investigating it deeply in my practice and daily life has been extremely useful in terms of approaching who I am and what I do.

Daoist and Buddhist (and by extension, Hindu) concepts have been thoroughly blended over the centuries.

I'm not sure it's realistic to try and tease them out as isolated entities.

Too much of an abstraction, IMO.

Indeed, I agree that Wei Wu Wei is far more then just a concept or theory. It is a very deep observation translated into a language that is born out of limitation trough which we experience this time space reality, which is nothing but a matter of perspective. Wei Wu Wei is so simple that we're now all pretending we don't understand it. We are such masters over it, we practice it faster then the speed of light. Wei Wu Wei hints us at our eternal and natural state of being. That state in which we are constantly creating all these experience from. That being that we can never truely be disconnected from. Only experience a disconnection from by using this state of being to create the illusion for yourself of disconnection! That which allows us to change perspective in our eternal all inclusive here and now moment, so as to experience an EXPERIENCE of constant everlastig ongoing change. In reality, there just is this moment. It is all inclusive. All time frames all places an all times of these places are right HERE and right NOW.

Edited by Everything

you do not get out of the water.

Hi Everything,

You are reading but you are not listening. I will give it a break for a while. It was nice talking with you.

Hi Everything,

You are reading but you are not listening. I will give it a break for a while. It was nice talking with you.

I have enjoyed it aswell. Good tidings

Wacky thread!

Nah, it doesn't matter what was originally meant or intended. What matters is that it's effectively pointing at something glorious. It's the easiest thing ever. Some choose to complicate it. Everything said all this, and it's true. It's one of the themes in TTC.

Also that Thusness guy is really starting to get on my nerves..

Room full of sages! lol

Boy, thanks for that "Fingers Pointing Towards The Moon" (Wei Wu Wei/Terence Gray) moment !! I'm often guilty of overlooking the Blinkin Obvious !!! LOL

I know that I'm a relative Novice, in a room full of Academics & Sages but it seems to me that this thread has become "a lot of Fuss about Nothing".

The above was actually my attempt at Taoist Humour !!! (Void/Nothingness/TAO) :blush: Obviously, judging by the Tumbleweeds blowing past, my meaning got completely lost in Translation !! LOL

Would amend my quote to read, ... room full of some Academics, some Sages & some Onions !!!

Lots of people on here with VERY STRONG opinions... I'm right, you're an Idiot, kinda thing. :blink:

I'm reminded of the Sign hanging above the Entrance to several Buddhist Temples in Burma/Thailand and the Potola in Lhasa, Tibet (if Tuesday Lobsang Rampa Books can actually be believed). :unsure:

"A Thousand Monks, a thousand Religions". :ph34r:

Lots of us may be searching for spiritual advancement/enlightenment, but is there really only one way to get there ?

Basher (The Novice)

PS: WWROA thanks for the PM. :lol:

Lots of us may be searching for spiritual advancement/enlightenment, but is there really only one way to get there ?

Id say your point is valid and that

each of us is looking for our own peace using

clues we have in common

Glean what you can

and be comfortable with others finding different pearls.

Each of us is our own expert in our own 'way'

and is largely oblivious to everyone elses regardless

of whether we have been issued an ID card

Just my opinion

Stosh

Edited by Stosh

Stosh & Boy

Thanks to Both. :D

Edited by Basher

Stosh & Boy

Thanks to Both. :D

I find this forum similar to the Eternal Tao

It allows nothing to go uncontested for long :)

Stosh