Sign in to follow this  
qofq

Help to understand a experience during meditation

Working through "Taoist Yoga Alchemy and Immortality" has been interesting. Having dedicated much honest effort I started to feel the accumulated energy under my navel rise to my solar plexus without my willing that to happen so I stop... OK sure... another day's work, it happens again and this time I stop after letting it sit in my solar plexus for a while, not remembering what should be happening and not wanting to think about it... I stop it, but this time when I open my eyes it's like i'm looking through this wide purple tunnel that is rotating back and forth. (no clue!?!)... Another day's work I'm just letting the energy reside in my solar plexus again and SNAP!!!!!!! this brilliant white/blusish light like "pings" or "cracks" into the space between my eyebrows and I get this split second of complete euphoria but it subsides really quickly and I open my eyes because it was so shocking and the light quickly diminished also.

Can anyone tell me more about the process I'm going through?

and this is very subjective and I'm sorry if it feels Waaaay out there but I swear to my word it felt like my hands were magnetic for like 10 minutes afterwards. Like they were they same pole though so they would feel resistance against one another from like 6-8inches away. I must have looked like a loon doing all the little tests I was doing to see if I was really feeling this. hahah. So, any ideas, comments or words of wisdom? I could certainly use it.

Q

Personally I don't know much about what all the visions and things mean. I keep my eyes closed most of the time as I've read repeatedly that visions are mostly just distractions that can cause various illusions. It seems logical that once energy is building up it has the power to distort the vision so I figure whatever I'm seeing is just distortion rather than absolute. The important thing, imo, is what is happening internally. You might see something, but how does it feel? I think the importance is on this focus. If you feel something euphoric, then work with that rather than whatever visions it induces, imho.

Chi tends to build up in the hands, maybe because the hands and feet hold end points of energetic meridians. Sounds like you were tuned up for it but never really turned it on so you had that sort of "virgin high" experience, hahah. I suggest learning some qi gong as you will quickly get more used to the presence of chi and likely feel it very quickly. I wouldn't get too freaked out about it though. Really, these are not uncommon experiences.

Get into a good qi gong routine though b\c it's important to have balanced and balancing practices when working with chi energy. I find that Nei Gong is especially active after qi gong.

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

The electricity you generate in the abdomen cavity during meditation is raising into the head to the center of your skull. There you have the pineal gland but also the Optic chiasm where optic nerves cross each other. So whatever you see in such a " vision" is because the nerves are excited and they send electric signals to the Visual cortex where you create the image. That's the first step to enlightement, to create interior light, to see the interior light in the center of your brain when the outer eyes are in darkness.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The vision was definitely in my minds eye and not open eye visuals and the vision aspect only happened at the end when the blue whitish light cracked me between the eyes inducing a very temporary state of bliss/euphoria/whatever. I thought it was strange how it felt like it hit my head and thew my head back though. Is that normal?

the point on my abdomen was filled with pressure first and then it felt as if it moved to my solar plexus. I was a little nervous because I've heard people mention not doing these types of meditations without a "master" or whatever, though I'm reluctant to trust just anybody with these types of matters as they are very special important to me and I'm weary to let some type of charlatan start program my thoughts on the matters. The internet is nice because one is not forced to believe what they hear and with honest searching I find it's easy to sense the truth.

The electricity you generate in the abdomen cavity during meditation is raising into the head to the center of your skull. There you have the pineal gland but also the Optic chiasm where optic nerves cross each other. So whatever you see in such a " vision" is because the nerves are excited and they send electric signals to the Visual cortex where you create the image. That's the first step to enlightement, to create interior light, to see the interior light in the center of your brain when the outer eyes are in darkness.

what is the next step?

what is the next step?

If at this point you dont experientially understand "complete and utter stillness" then that is a very important prerequisite. No mention was made of it so I thought I would mention it. It is imperative to integrate all of the energy you cultivate.

Working through "Taoist Yoga Alchemy and Immortality"

See the last question/answer from Chapter 7, "Holding on to the Center." I think it answers your question exactly.

If at this point you dont experientially understand "complete and utter stillness" then that is a very important prerequisite. No mention was made of it so I thought I would mention it. It is imperative to integrate all of the energy you cultivate.

I'm guessing that's the state you have to balance in to even get these events to occur? I'd love to hear you elaborate.

Are there any real masters in the Seattle Wa. area?

I'm guessing that's the state you have to balance in to even get these events to occur? I'd love to hear you elaborate.

Are there any real masters in the Seattle Wa. area?

It is basically *the* prerequisite for meditation and energy work, imo. The practitioner's ability to enter significant stillness is correlated with 'overall progress' in a way. It is like the difference between dunking a sponge in water briefly vs squeezing the sponge and giving it a deep dunk, letting it expand and fill before taking it from the water. One thing Ive seen mentioned by some masters (most recently Wang Li ping) is that most students often lack a solid foundation in this very aspect. It is easy to play with energy and manifest phenomena, but if it all does not return to source then you're basically 'leaving chips on the table' that you should be taking to the bank. That of course is not intended to detract in any way from your progress, but merely a note that can help make the progress more robust and fruitful. One takeaway from taoist yoga seems to be that failing to experientially discover for oneself what utter and complete stillness means, one is significantly more likely to falter at some stage of the game and ruin the progress and effort one has put in. Of course the requirements for ty are quite stringent, so for a lot of other practices one wouldn't necessarily say 'ruined,' think more along the lines of chunyi Lin saying good, better, best.

So basically, stillness should be the start and the completion of a session, if there is to be an active phase of the session it should take place after a certain measure of stillness is attained, then afterward marinate oneself in a fully aware state of stillness.

Part of 'fixing the spirit in its original cavity' entails letting go of the air passageways and sinuses, relying on the smoothness of diaphragm motion to resolve the changing air pressures instead of utilizing the sinuses to buffer the air pressure. That stimulates the olfactory nerve and causes resonances elsewhere in the brain. (think...what is the source of the thought-stream-energy...what makes it more likely to manifest?)

These phenomena you have experienced are good, I just wanted to highlight the integration aspect :)

It is basically *the* prerequisite for meditation and energy work, imo.

These phenomena you have experienced are good, I just wanted to highlight the integration aspect :)

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I had another question regarding the experience of being smacked with the blue light between the eyes.

Is this something that should be worked for as something that happens every time? it's only happened once for me.

Does it happen faster with more practice and to what degree?

And you mention "energy work" which I am totally inexperienced with. I am generally a thinker and use various methods (lucid dreaming and fungal sacraments) after spending a great time forming a honest question. (imagine if you could ask a superior intelligence a sincere and profound question once a year what would you ask.) This method of searching has lead me here with my last answer being "learn to control your mind" but I'm very curious about being able to control the phenomena I mentioned (ie. magnetic feeling hands) Does that really happen? and how?

Don't strive for phenomena. Whatever comes will come as it ripens, what good is watching and wishing upon a green fruit? :D Don't have attachment to them, this way when things spontaneously manifest they will be more genuine, less potential for confirmation bias. Meditation is sorta energy work. Taoist yoga certainly is. Accelerants of various sorts are not necessary, a still contemplative mind has what it needs. Magnetic hands and other siddhis are a result of good diligent practice. Control your mind, control the phenomena; your focus determines your reality (but not to arbitrary extent!) Don't speculate too far and worry about what may come up, preconceived notions can hinder your progress, you can miss a street sign ig you are Ooh look shiny!

Control your mind, control the phenomena; your focus determines your reality (but not to arbitrary extent!) Don't speculate too far and worry about what may come up, preconceived notions can hinder your progress, you can miss a street sign ig you are Ooh look shiny!

Many thanks. yeah that phenomena only happened once and I've kind of scaled my work down since as it was a obvious sign that something was happening (which was good) but I didn't know what or really how to continue. I only stumbled into "toaist toga .." and read a few other snippets relating to the practice that reminded me of these dreams I had as a kid where I was doing strange body postures, doing this breath thing and giving myself chills and then turning invisible, flying, etc. And I was so young that it was shocking to have that light bulb go off at nearly 30 years old and see that maybe those dreams (like 3rd or 4th grade) and these practices could be related somehow.

Anyhow, that lit a fire in me to really devote some time to that book (Finally some real life confirmation of the fruits of spiritual labor) and my intuition is practically screaming at me to follow this work through so.. If I may pose some more questions to any who wish to comment for the sake of my own clarity.

------------------------

The stillness absolute (and reverse breathing) was the antecedent to the energy in my lower belly (months and months of meditation) which then rose into my solar plexus (while still in my belly) before finally rising between my eyes manifesting in a blue light/ ultimate bliss..

Q: Is that process ok to be recreated frequently?

Q: Once the light and bliss come what is the best thing to do? prolonging it? take a break? Is it safe to mess around with in any way?

Q: Does or should the series of events (rising cauldron and light manifesting) outlined happen every time for people who are very experienced? Does it happen sooner with more practice or is it random and happen when it wants to as long as your are "in position" so to speak? Do you forget about it past a certain point?

Forgive me for asking if I'm asking too much. Time is valuable and so I appreciate all who are kind enough to offer some to a wanderer.

See the last question/answer from Chapter 7, "Holding on to the Center." I think it answers your question exactly.

Not sure if you've gotten to this chapter yet but you might want to skip up to it, especially the last part, before continuing from where you are as it sounds like some of your experiences are mentioned there though I can't be sure which ones they are. At least the answers in chapter 7 will give you some guidance to recognize "phenomena" and help you know what to pay attention to and what to let go of (like you would with thoughts, though personally I think some things are occasionally better to work out in order to progress beyond them, based on some reliable sources [which might be contradicted by others.. hence the need to know yourself as well - but who am I to tell you....])

joeblast:

Don't strive for phenomena.

Plus what HE just said!

Open sincerity without intending phenomena is a reasonable space to aim for in this kind of observing/experiencing mind (Which is no different in practice from enlightening activity in everyday ordinary situations).

Just don't rush ahead; all you need do is recognize potential as you maintain a subtle consistency of openly sincere concentration. It is emptiness that beckons fulfillment. Ultimate stillness is already there where you find it. Movement comes naturally. When the celestial moves, respond; otherwise bide the time innocently as the celestial timing is not the result of human effort.

At the right time of fullness, seal the pot; don't keep it on the fire, yet don't let it cool off.

Be careful and attentive without being insistent.

Even energy-work just comes in stages; keep silent (to yourself) about its workings.

Ultimately, there is no one who knows; everyone experiences these things for themselves.

Even so, the particularities in terms of experiencing phenomena isn't terribly significant in the long run as these things are kind of like running a fixing permissions session on a computer.

At some point there is nothing to fix …wherein one simply drops off altogether at the right time; and no one knows why.

Ed. note: Add "(Which is no different in practice from enlightening activity in everyday ordinary situations)"

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this