Nikolai1

The Spiritual Splendour of the Ego

I figured there were a few different takes in there that seemed to cover a lot of what gets discussed on here.

Really, I don't know which of them were the 'right' one when it comes to 'enlighenment' since as far as I know, I'm not enlightened. What I do reckon is that potentially one is asking the same 'thing' to attempt different stuff on itself towards different ends, none of which (apparently) it's particularly good at (whether killing itself, accepting itself or loving itself - at least this has been my short experience so far).

I do wonder why a 'spiritual acheivement' would be of such little benefit to the person themselves? Or is there some 'wider' shit happening? Right now I'm thinking the gunk thrown off by the sea (foam) could be a good example.

K I too wonder and ponder about the veracity of the different stances and the 'wider' shift happenings... ( had to put the 'f' in there) ... There are many possibilities ... determining which to embrace and which to reject can be rather complicate when it comes to 'enlightenment'... the solution I have found that works can be summed up as "be it a dream be it real always choose the better ways"... I could go on an on as to the rationale to hedge and bias the outcome so that the perfect solution always results, no matter what happens... That is choose a certain way even in uncertain ways... now compare that to how others prefer to resolve the situation ... They embrace the illusion of certainty rather than accept the uncertainty... it may all boil down to who and what each chooses to believe... Personally I prefer the notion of a loving caring God directing stuff than some arbitrary judge... I believe that a single voice of righteousness suffices to direct and bind to the healthy truthful ways everything... even if spoken by the humblest of being...

I do wonder why a 'spiritual acheivement' would be of such little benefit to the person themselves? Or is there some 'wider' shit happening? Right now I'm thinking the gunk thrown off by the sea (foam) could be a good example.

There is no wider stuff happening, there is a lot of stuff inserted in the old writings which was meant to wear down the mind and make a person amenable to subsequent reasonable statements.

Thats why so much of it is self contradictory or inactionable.

If someone said "Be nice to one another." it wouldnt look wise standing alone, even if it was wise.

The benefits of spiriual behavior are the likely outcomes of the virtuous behavior itself.

If one doesnt put oneself in contention with others, then there is a subsequent peaceful situation as your benefit.

If you refrain from interfering in other folks business, you have not shouldered their problems.

Etc.

Like Chi dragon suggested (more or less), live wu wei fashion -(to have the benefits of wu wei.)

I dismissed it at the time , it was too simple, I needed more direction as to what that meant.

Now that I have found out what the term means, I see that it IS the essence of the teachings.

Ignore the snakeoil.

Stosh

There is no wider stuff happening, there is a lot of stuff inserted in the old writings which was meant to wear down the mind and make a person amenable to subsequent reasonable statements.

Thats why so much of it is self contradictory or inactionable.

If someone said "Be nice to one another." it wouldnt look wise standing alone, even if it was wise.

The benefits of spiriual behavior are the likely outcomes of the virtuous behavior itself.

If one doesnt put oneself in contention with others, then there is a subsequent peaceful situation as your benefit.

If you refrain from interfering in other folks business, you have not shouldered their problems.

Etc.

Like Chi dragon suggested (more or less), live wu wei fashion -(to have the benefits of wu wei.)

I dismissed it at the time , it was too simple, I needed more direction as to what that meant.

Now that I have found out what the term means, I see that it IS the essence of the teachings.

Ignore the snakeoil.

Stosh

Stosh

One can NOT make a person amenable to reason for it is the person who chooses the attitude they will have to reason... I wonder how to deal with contentions bullies while remaining a courteous playful dancer and directing each and everyone into the virtuous behaviors. When we choose the Action of Non-Action in other folks business, we choose a form of interfering just as when we choose to act... thus the question centers on what we will cultivate... and how are we going to help...

Will start a new topic on dealing with beliefs to explore a bit this notion...

Etc.

You had to put the 'f'-)

Yea shift happens especially when the shift hits the fan... :-)

Oh 'f' if for force friendly feelings shifting...

Why out of all that I said was that focused upon idea?

Yea shift happens especially when the shift hits the fan... :-)

Oh 'f' if for force friendly feelings shifting...

Why out of all that I said was that focused upon idea?

Oh, personal present foibles to do with language and whether or not it adequately describes reality. And if not, what possible uses for it?

Oh, personal present foibles to do with language and whether or not it adequately describes reality. And if not, what possible uses for it?

I was told that resorting to certain words reflected negatively upon the intellectual levels of the speaker... cussing words reflect that one still has to learn some better expletives... which is still way below resorting to better ways to express oneself... shifts do happen and pebble do improve...

• Like 1

I was told that resorting to certain words reflected negatively upon the intellectual levels of the speaker... cussing words reflect that one still has to learn some better expletives... which is still way below resorting to better ways to express oneself... shifts do happen and pebble do improve...

People, even. Improve I mean.

Creativity expressed postivitely is a great quality in my book. I met a very funny guy who was able to cheerfully express himself differently all throughout the day.

Hmm, I used to think something along those lines that people who used less words, or a 'poorer' vocabulary had 'poorer' interior lives and indeed tended to be financially less well off. These days I'm tempted to call BS on that one. Why exactly? Because I don't think everything is worth embroidering. Say what one means and all that :-) So if I say 'shit happens' it is actually what I mean. Had I wished to say 'shift' or any synonym I think it's likely I would have. In fact one person telling another what they mean is exactly how lots of shit happens IMO. :ninja:

Hmm, I used to think something along those lines that people who used less words, or a 'poorer' vocabulary had 'poorer' interior lives and indeed tended to be financially less well off. These days I'm tempted to call BS on that one. Why exactly? Because I don't think everything is worth embroidering. Say what one means and all that :-) So if I say 'shit happens' it is actually what I mean. Had I wished to say 'shift' or any synonym I think it's likely I would have. In fact one person telling another what they mean is exactly how lots of shit happens IMO. :ninja:

I understand that some go through life cussing, cursing and bitching rather than prising appreciating thanking and that its up to each to choose which to cultivate... the point that I wanted to expose is that interior lives stem from appreciating thanking and blessing ... put in other words choosing a better attitude... You are right not everything is worth embroidering... though the words thoughts, feeling and stuff we choose to have around us does affect us and others in one way or another and I just prefer to cultivate the certain things... sometimes what matter is not what you say but what others perceive then again sometimes what others perceive is irrelevant what matter is what one sought to say... you already know this deep down... wether you recognize it or not is another matter...

Well said!

Speaking plainly and simply is clearly affirmed by the ttc

The stereotype that folks who cuss are somehow inferior is BS

In fact there is a metaphorical shelf in the mind

where cusses specifically are kept and stored for use.

The fault would only be in inappropriate application.

Sneaky behavior like wrapping condemnations in flowery form

is just acting sneaky.

Stosh

Well said!

is just acting sneaky.

Stosh

Well said!

is just acting sneaky.

Stosh

Stosh,

When one points a finger to someone, three fingers point back!

Similarly when one condemns other one cultivates the condemnation of self... and I prefer to cultivate better ways...

Some here seem bent on cussing and condemnations rather than appreciation and understanding... I just point out that indeed we should consider critically what we sow (with words, thoughts, feeling, action) for we will reap in abundance its fruits...

Some possibilities are meant to remain as possibilities forevermore...

Well said!

is just acting sneaky.

Stosh

Would you like a link to the web pages where the correct grammatical use of the 'f-word' is in question:-)

As discussed with another TTB sometime this week, 'we humans' (assumed) have this incredible capacity to lie, to make things up, to say things in the place of other things, to use jargon, to use slang, turns of phrase. I'm personally more interested in the way things are, not the way they are presented, even nicely wrapped, or especially well-framed towards any particular single direction. In fact the latter makes me sniff a bit (here I am tempted to underline what I'm saying with a chosen comedy-sketch, but I doubt some people would get it).

Apologies for the passive-agressive stance in the concluding sentence.

Apologies for the intentional sarcasm in the previous sentence.

Oh wait, now the just before previous phrase is no longer the concluding sentence, haha

That wasn't funny.----deadpan----

Would you like a link to the web pages where the correct grammatical use of the 'f-word' is in question:-)

As discussed with another TTB sometime this week, 'we humans' (assumed) have this incredible capacity to lie, to make things up, to say things in the place of other things, to use jargon, to use slang, turns of phrase. I'm personally more interested in the way things are, not the way they are presented, even nicely wrapped, or especially well-framed towards any particular single direction. In fact the latter makes me sniff a bit (here I am tempted to underline what I'm saying with a chosen comedy-sketch, but I doubt some people would get it).

Apologies for the passive-agressive stance in the concluding sentence.

Apologies for the intentional sarcasm in the previous sentence.

Oh wait, now the just before previous phrase is no longer the concluding sentence, haha

That wasn't funny.----deadpan----

I'm from new york,

In that land of my ancestors the f word is well loved

it is an adjective ,noun, verb , modifier, and pronoun

Thank you , I know its varied usages well.

I am told that in The lands of the Russias

they have turned cussing into an art form

and they employ great creativity humor and emotion

within it.

I dont understand the apologies.

I dont understand your rejection of my support

occasioning them.

Its fine though.

I am just a square peg, reluctant to admit I am perpetuating a self defeating paradigm.

Namaste

Stosh

Stosh, that was what I call a 'drive by' insult. In other words, you 'drove by' my post and took it for yourself I understand :blush: The 'some people' quip was not intended for you but to illustrate passive agression... So I guess passive agression 'works' but perhaps too broadly and drags sensitive people into feeling slighted when they aren't the target. :ninja:

Anyway, once I'd written the part about being passive agressive, I thought that part didn't stand out enough so I pointed to it, then I looked at that pointing and I found it sarcastic (because that's what I was purposely doing with it). And then I found it funny that by saying more I ended up contradicting what I'd already said. The final part was a sort of a 'meta-comment' on how unfunny it ended up being.

Anyway, no rejection of any kind intended. The idea being if I wanted to I'd just come out and say it (although I might not say f-off:-))

NY, eh? Nice!

I'm personally more interested in the way things are,...

REALLY? it seems to me this thread has delved quite a bit into how stuff is presented... rather than in the way things are... evidently the words thoughts feelings actions one chooses reflects something about what one chooses to cultivate... and each ought to consider carefully what they choose to cultivate... some take the now opportunity to cultivate this or that... when they could cultivate thoughts feelings actions words that truly enrich the interchanges... hey if you get the inside punt about adding the f to the word said to make it into a shift great... if not that thats ok too...

I found it sarcastic (because that's what I was purposely doing with it). And then I found it funny

K

FWIIW I used to think that being sarcastic was humorous until told that all sarcasm is a hidden aggression towards others or towards oneself... so I gave it up... and now just say what I mean and mean what I say :-) I believe that what we do and do not do has repercussions and will come back to us amplified... so I prefer a kind merciful word thought action... which goes along the notion of The spiritual splendor of the Ego... besides some of the stuff one finds funny and hilarious may be seen as something else by others... the true intentions of each should tell you what each be doing...

K

FWIIW I used to think that being sarcastic was humorous until told that all sarcasm is a hidden aggression towards others or towards oneself... so I gave it up... and now just say what I mean and mean what I say :-) I believe that what we do and do not do has repercussions and will come back to us amplified... so I prefer a kind merciful word thought action... which goes along the notion of The spiritual splendor of the Ego... besides some of the stuff one finds funny and hilarious may be seen as something else by others... the true intentions of each should tell you what each be doing...

Oh I wouldn't just go believing everything one is told. Anyway, 2 things here. I was dancing around with the words on purpose and trying to explain what I was doing while I was doing it. Looks like I didn't do too well with that. :)

2nd thing, "funny" was referring to the way my final phrase contradicted what I'd said previously. If you are going to quote, I think quoting the whole thing is best. If you don't quote the whole thing then I fear it may be misundertood as referring to my finding sarcasm funny.

Oh I wouldn't just go believing everything one is told. Anyway, 2 things here. I was dancing around with the words on purpose and trying to explain what I was doing while I was doing it. Looks like I didn't do too well with that. :)

2nd thing, "funny" was referring to the way my final phrase contradicted what I'd said previously. If you are going to quote, I think quoting the whole thing is best. If you don't quote the whole thing then I fear it may be misundertood as referring to my finding sarcasm funny.

K

I agree one wouldn't just go believing everything one is told. ... pardon me if what I understood misrepresented what you said... shifts do happen :-) ... Oh do believe what I just said :-) ... Hey the misunderstandings can and do happen even with full access to the facts... sometimes its three times humorous... the perceived joke the intended one and the discrepancy between the two... the good things is that we can always just point stuff out and resolve the issue (or get another misunderstanding going and into more trouble...)

Stosh, that was what I call a 'drive by' insult. In other words, you 'drove by' my post and took it for yourself I understand :blush: The 'some people' quip was not intended for you but to illustrate passive agression... So I guess passive agression 'works' but perhaps too broadly and drags sensitive people into feeling slighted when they aren't the target. :ninja:

Anyway, once I'd written the part about being passive agressive, I thought that part didn't stand out enough so I pointed to it, then I looked at that pointing and I found it sarcastic (because that's what I was purposely doing with it). And then I found it funny that by saying more I ended up contradicting what I'd already said. The final part was a sort of a 'meta-comment' on how unfunny it ended up being.

Anyway, no rejection of any kind intended. The idea being if I wanted to I'd just come out and say it (although I might not say f-off:-))

NY, eh? Nice!

Ok great! nevermind.

I guess it is my guilty conscience that made me confused

I think Et thoughts is a snake charmer ,disingenuous and bad.

I feel a split responsibility to just butt out and to butt in.

You sound like you can handle yourself, so I will just butt out.

Have a great morning.

Stosh

I think Et thoughts is a snake charmer ,disingenuous and bad.

Now I understand k comment about "that was what I call a 'drive by' insult". Glad that you at least said that you think it... which is quite different from just claiming it. For the record my participation 'here' has sought to focus on one singular idea expressed in different ways... to know good truth love one just requires to know good truth love... I question the duality idea as a disingenuous and bad distraction used by the snake in apparent charming ways. Its rather humorous to me to see the pretenses lures and baits put forth by some next to the real valuables given by others. Some choose worthless shining trinkets that they find so valuable that they freely give up the truly valuable stuff. No one on their right mind would make such a deal, only those deceive would go for it... Soon everyone would see the truth of the matter and have the opportunity to choose anew what to embrace... and follow, my suggestion is that each pick the truth rather than some deception. Some egos will let go of falsehoods and embrace truths then again some egos will rather die than embrace the truths...

Whatever..

happens to be ... happens to be... even if some want to believe otherwise... some do recognize what happens to be going on...

Now I understand k comment about "that was what I call a 'drive by' insult". Glad that you at least said that you think it... which is quite different from just claiming it. For the record my participation 'here' has sought to focus on one singular idea expressed in different ways... to know good truth love one just requires to know good truth love... I question the duality idea as a disingenuous and bad distraction used by the snake in apparent charming ways. Its rather humorous to me to see the pretenses lures and baits put forth by some next to the real valuables given by others. Some choose worthless shining trinkets that they find so valuable that they freely give up the truly valuable stuff. No one on their right mind would make such a deal, only those deceive would go for it... Soon everyone would see the truth of the matter and have the opportunity to choose anew what to embrace... and follow, my suggestion is that each pick the truth rather than some deception. Some egos will let go of falsehoods and embrace truths then again some egos will rather die than embrace the truths...

Oh, this is bad. I feel compelled to rush in on behalf of Stosh to say something. I shouldn't do that. Should I?

Anyway, it's not an insult I'm going to suggest Et. But I was wondering whether you were going to hit me over the head with flowery goodness for a while there :lol: