spiraltao

A Zhan Zhuang video taoist point of view

This video this master says that ZZ gives one the logevity as baguazhang! I think he might be referring to his own personal system though, I have not got familiar with him enough yet.

I found this very interesting! This furthers my thinking that the standing practice (ZZ) might be one of those "hidden in plain sight" secrets to the high level development of internal power? If anyone has posted this link before I apologize. \

Please discuss!

(SORRY MODS IF THIS NEEDS TO BE MOVED TO TAOIST DISCUSSION PLZ DO SO)

Edited by jaysahnztao
  • Like 1

Nice video.

ZZ is a profound art, which takes a lifetime to master. Done correctly and consistently, I have no doubt its one of the great treasures of Chinese energy work.

The problem is, people do it for a year or two, and give up. It takes at least three years of daily practice to get the alignments right, and to get the feel for the alignments. And I reckon its at least five years, and maybe ten years, to get the real benefits coming through.

As for Bagua......another great treasure, but ten years to learn the basic art, in my opinion. So ZZ may be slightly more accessible.

Just my opinion, having studied both.......

• Like 1

Zhan Zhuang, standing practice, or Yi Chuan, is indeed a major key to developing internal power. There is a saying that 3 years of Tai Chi with consistent standing practice will produce the results of 10 years of Tai Chi without standing practice.

It's very, very good for health, vitality, and Qi development. After standing you will feel so energized and vitalized. There is just something about stillness that develops a tremendous amount of vitality. It also brings the bodies' strength and power deep into the body.

What it lacks however, is something that walking practices have. The rhythmic, steady, beating of the soles of the feet on the ground is very good for the heart and the pumping of blood. So it would be good, if you practice standing, to also have some sort of walking practice. Standing will strengthen the soles of the feet greatly, that is one of it's major advantages. Many people always say it's the soles of their feet that get tired first. However, it won't stimulate the heart in the same way that a walking practice will.

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1

Zhan Zhuang, standing practice, or Yi Chuan, is indeed a major key to developing internal power. There is a saying that 3 years of Tai Chi with consistent standing practice will produce the results of 10 years of Tai Chi without standing practice.

It's very, very good for health, vitality, and Qi development. After standing you will feel so energized and vitalized. There is just something about stillness that develops a tremendous amount of vitality. It also brings the bodies' strength and power deep into the body.

What it lacks however, is something that walking practices have. The rhythmic, steady, beating of the soles of the feet on the ground is very good for the heart and the pumping of blood. So it would be good, if you practice standing, to also have some sort of walking practice. Standing will strengthen the soles of the feet greatly, that is one of it's major advantages. Many people always say it's the soles of their feet that get tired first. However, it won't stimulate the heart in the same way that a walking practice will.

Indeed! That reasoning is what brought me to schedule my workouts like so-wuji, qigong warm ups (from Victor Fu's golen taiji DVD), more swinging arms ala Bruce Frantizis, then about twenty minutes of standing work. I have been finishing my standing in the Santi, then after the standing workout my baguazhang workout begins.

I find my hands have much more heart/mind energy (shen?) being expressied through them doing things in this order.

Edited by jaysahnztao

This video this master says that ZZ gives one the logevity as baguazhang! I think he might be referring to his own personal system though, I have not got familiar with him enough yet.

I found this very interesting! This furthers my thinking that the standing practice (ZZ) might be one of those "hidden in plain sight" secrets to the high level development of internal power? If anyone has posted this link before I apologize. \

Please discuss!

Important points:

1. The first line he wrote: 內練一口氣

Internal practice is a mouthful of breath.

2. At 2:50, he says: "When you practice Chi Kung(練氣) and NeiGong(內功), actually, you are practicing breathing."

When the Chinese talk about Chi Kung, the emphasis is on "breathing". When translated to another language, it was treated as Energy Work which put them on the wrong track and looses the Chi flavor.

Edited by ChiDragon

2. At 2:50, he says: "When you practice Chi Kung(練氣) and NeiGong(內功), actually, you are practicing breathing."

I can't believe you are still going on about this. :lol:

• Like 1

It is NOT wasted on me,Scotty, lol:wacko: , I am a very slow learner! I have heard chi kung translated as energy work as well...

Thanks for the input Chidragon.

What is yer opine on the logevity issue Chidragon?

I am also interested in anyone else who does Jam Jong with any internal system! I have an Adam Tsu Baji tape where he even goes into a bit of stance practice.

Thanks for the input Chidragon.

What is yer opine on the logevity issue Chidragon?

I am also interested in anyone else who does Jam Jong with any internal system! I have an Adam Tsu Baji tape where he even goes into a bit of stance practice.

Thank you! I am glad to go over the longevity issue with you scientifically.

First of all, what do we need to survive? We need food and breath. Someone can survive more than a month without food. However, anyone will die in few minutes without oxygen. The more oxygen that we can provide to the body, the body will be more healthier. If the body is healthy, then we can prolong our lives. Hence, breathing is very important for longevity.

The matter is how well can someone breathe, in order, to provide the oxygen to the fullest capacity for the human lungs. The ability of the body to perform its function depends on how much oxygen that one can be provided. Indeed, the body will perform its function all by itself if there was enough fuels were given to it. Another words, if one only breathes in half the capacity of air into the lungs, then the body will only perform it function to 50% of its full capacity.

The ancient Taoist knew that breathing is very important for longevity. So, they learned how to breathe and developed the ultimate method of breathing and called Chi Kung.

• Like 1