jacklantegi

Specific problem sitting in the lotus posture.

Hi everyone! There have been many enlightening discussions on how to gradually train your body to be able to sit in the full lotus posture.

I have been performing a rigorous daily stretching program for almost 2 months now and I have made pretty good progress.

However, my biggest issue is that I cannot full flex (extend) my ankles. Most people can do this without a problem, but I was born without this ability.

I have incorporated ankle stretches into my program, but I am not seeing any progress in terms of ankle flexibility at all! I am starting to worry that this may be an anatomical abnormality that I have, and not just regular stiffness.

I have read in many places such as here http://zenmontpellier.voila.net/eng/lotus/lotuseng.html (Scroll down to figure. 13) that it is very bad to attempt the lotus or half lotus position without having your ankles fully flexed as it adds a lot of stress on the knee joint. And I can attest to that! Although through all the practice I have done, I am now able to sit in half-lotus relatively easily, after sitting in this posture for a while (anywhere from 15-45 minutes), my knees are in excruciating pain when I get out of the posture and it takes a few minutes before I'm able to walk.

So what should I do? If it's not a good idea to practice the lotus position because of my ankles, how can I practice it at all? Should I just continue working on all my stretches and simply leave out actually sitting in the posture until my ankles become more loose?

It really really sucks, because after having sat in the posture, I can really attest to the numerous tangible benefits it has had on my meditations, and now I will have to give that up. :(

Do any of you bums have the same problem as I do? Any tips on increasing ankle flexibility? Stretching my ankles is the most painful thing *ever* for me. It is ridiculously painful for some reason. I cannot even sit in za-zen for more than a few minutes (sitting with your butt on the bottom of your feet) at a time.

Any advice at all would be extremely appreciated! :)

You can try this with sitting in Seiza

s.gif

as you see right the picture show you when you sit naturally the ancles spread and turn outward, which looks like the sickle position in Full Lotus. So you wish to have the ancles flexibility you may sit Seiza "but" you roll a towel to the degree you but them under the front part of the ancles. The feet should be then parallel. Since you roll the towel you can unroll as much and then place it below the ancles until you feel a slight stretch. You sit practical with the hip bones on the heels.

Edit : May I ask you if you use to wear boots a lot in the past which are higher than the ancles?

Edited by Friend

The ankles dont need to stretch ridiculous. Open the hips properly and the knees, ankles, dont get tons of stress put on them.

• Like 1

The ankles dont need to stretch ridiculous. Open the hips properly and the knees, ankles, dont get tons of stress put on them.

YEAH, your right...i use to get pains in my hips and it would take me a minute to stand up in walk...but i learn to relax and qigong breath at the same time when i was doin my stretches...this aloud my joints and hips to feel the flow of energy in the middle of stretching which inturn made it easer to sit for longer and get up faster..