Jetsun

Cabbages talk to each other and warn each other when attacked

Eh, plants scream less whenafter you chop them up.

Fixed that for you...

Same goes for people.

:)

EDIT: BTW, they seem to continue sensing after that in some cases. My administrative assistant just pointed out to me this morning, unprompted, that the cut flowers she puts in my office window last about twice as many days as the ones she puts in the office next door -- same type window, same view, same sunlight/shade, same HVAC, same vase even. She voiced the opinion that the only difference is that the energy in my office is much more calm...

:D

Edited by A Seeker
  • Like 1

i just noticed that i missed that post.. so four months later...

i think consciousness and spirit can take forms and be sad and have nothing to do with nerve cells and neurons and a CNS. I have encountered very sad spirits. But that, for many who do not and have never encountered a spirit, presupposes the existance of noncorporeal beings, which i understand is a stretch for some, and takes the conversation to a different dimension entirely. So take that or leave it.

That being said, i don't think sadness requires a CNS. I think plants get sad. I think that thinking that the whole phenomenon of emotional intelligence rests on a brain and CNS is anthropocentric. I think life is stranger and more complex than that.

And as far as fish go, pain is pain, whether one gets sad about it or not. So i don't really see how that point relates directly to what we are talking about. Maybe people think fish have no emotions because they don't have eyebrows :) lol neither do chickens and people love to eat them too. I dunno could be more anthropocentrism!

In the end, i only have my suspicions based on my limited range of interaction with plants, animals, and spirits. But that being what it is, i don't think a CNS has much to do with consciousness. Maybe the mind is different from the brain and doesn't rest on the existance of grey/white matter. I think the brain is the interface between the mind and the body, in other words, our minds have an awareness or a thought, and it is filtered through the brain to send the electrical impulses to our, hands for example, or anywhere. There are a lot of different theories though, so i am open to the possibility of being wrong lol

I thought that was interesting about 'sad' being 'about' pain and not pain itself (many a happy masochist may be reading). That means to me that as creatures (beings, if you like) with consciousness of our conditions, well that 'consciousness of' likely has some function/use - otherwise we wouldn't have it. Or maybe it had a use, now no longer applicable like the appendix. Or maybe it is useful until you grow your third eye or something. Or maybe it's a compensating function because many people's third eyes have been closed.

I dunno.

I thought that was interesting about 'sad' being 'about' pain and not pain itself (many a happy masochist may be reading). That means to me that as creatures (beings, if you like) with consciousness of our conditions, well that 'consciousness of' likely has some function/use - otherwise we wouldn't have it. Or maybe it had a use, now no longer applicable like the appendix. Or maybe it is useful until you grow your third eye or something. Or maybe it's a compensating function because many people's third eyes have been closed.

I dunno.

Perhaps you could consider raw consciousness-light as the evolutionary aspect of lifeforms while conditioned consciousness is the root-lock on space/time, or 'karma'.

Perhaps you could consider raw consciousness-light as the evolutionary aspect of lifeforms while conditioned consciousness is the root-lock on space/time, or 'karma'.

That's an interesting POV. I have never experienced such a thing as 'raw consciousness' (shiva?), but I kind of 'get it' through practice plus the hypothesis is interesting) Also considering that much 'conditioning' seems to be 'passed on down the line' as it were (or 'across' if I'm referring to 'cultural conditioning'). I dunno, I'd tend also to throw in that 'karma' is an expression in interaction with 'raw consciousness'. (Shakti?) It's sort of romantic (as in 'like a story' to imagine that the 'raw' consciousness has some kind of unbinding action on the karma.

That's an interesting POV. I have never experienced such a thing as 'raw consciousness' (shiva?), but I kind of 'get it' through practice plus the hypothesis is interesting) Also considering that much 'conditioning' seems to be 'passed on down the line' as it were (or 'across' if I'm referring to 'cultural conditioning'). I dunno, I'd tend also to throw in that 'karma' is an expression in interaction with 'raw consciousness'. (Shakti?) It's sort of romantic (as in 'like a story' to imagine that the 'raw' consciousness has some kind of unbinding action on the karma.

The seemingly fluid nature of the 'ego' construct is in actuality raw consciousness itself reflecting the 'free will' of the heart-singularity. Take a look at your hands while they're behind your head... The mind is completely luminescent. Within the heart-singularity is the spark of paradoxical potential (ten thousand things) which gives birth to the entire universe the moment it 'touches' raw consciousness (the 1 goes through 0, resulting in the sound of a circle's radius, OM).

The form of the heart-singularity is affected by the 'free will' of the initial reflection (The full-spectrum sound of 'you' making a full circuit through space/time, the total sum of all cause-and-effect for that particular universe). Since that 'free will', though engulfed in it's past-times, has complete access to the full radius of potential (the whole of the circle's radius), the essence of consciousness... is acting. Gives a whole new dimension to phrases like 'divine play' eh? :lol:

If such a thing were true, self-recognition would be closely intertwined with evolution and the resultant place of the individual self within the universal web. Of course, it's all dream logic and what-not. It was fun to write, though... left a sweet taste at the roof of my mind. :lol:

Fun to think about!