Approach to the Inmost Cave

Ordeal

Reward (seizing the sword)

The Road Back

Resurrection

Return with the Elixir

:lol:

Oxherding_pictures%2C_No._2.jpg

In Search of the Bull (aimless searching, only the sound of cicadas)

Discovery of the Footprints (a path to follow)

Perceiving the Bull (but only its rear, not its head)

Catching the Bull (a great struggle, the bull repeatedly escapes, discipline required)

Taming the Bull (less straying, less discipline, bull becomes gentle and obedient)

Riding the Bull Home (great joy)

The Bull Transcended (once home, the bull is forgotten, discipline's whip is idle; stillness)

Both Bull and Self Transcended (all forgotten and empty)

Reaching the Source (unconcerned with or without; the sound of cicadas)

Return to Society (crowded marketplace; spreading enlightenment by mingling with humankind)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bulls

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Joseph Campbell needs to be rejected:http://aconstantineblacklist.blogspot.com/2009/01/profiles-of-americas-beloved-tv_20.html

Hey Drew -

Whatya say for old-time sakes that we don't derail each other's posts with divergent material, eh?

Welcome back.

Blasto

:lol:

Oxherding_pictures%2C_No._2.jpg

In Search of the Bull (aimless searching, only the sound of cicadas)

Discovery of the Footprints (a path to follow)

Perceiving the Bull (but only its rear, not its head)

Catching the Bull (a great struggle, the bull repeatedly escapes, discipline required)

Taming the Bull (less straying, less discipline, bull becomes gentle and obedient)

Riding the Bull Home (great joy)

The Bull Transcended (once home, the bull is forgotten, discipline's whip is idle; stillness)

Both Bull and Self Transcended (all forgotten and empty)

Reaching the Source (unconcerned with or without; the sound of cicadas)

Return to Society (crowded marketplace; spreading enlightenment by mingling with humankind)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Bulls

Definitely an intriguing parallel between the inner and the outer quest. Thanks for posting.

I studied to be a writer in college, published some journalism, a few poems, and such, but never loved it. In fact I was good at it, but it was so tedious I found it hard to do. I also tended to only write really well when I suffered from depression, otherwise I rarely felt compelled to write. I've been toying with the idea of writing something, a book to be exact, but I can't seem to get started. I have written a novel in the past, but lost it as well as my collection of short stories and poems. I don't miss them that much to be honest.

I would consider myself to be a very good writer, that comes from other people commenting on my writing and my own objective analysis after rereading much of my stuff later on. I think what made me a good writer was that I read A LOT, wrote something every day (for much of my teen and college years) and paid attention to how my stuff sounded. In other words you need to write something and read it aloud. I try very hard, when I'm writing fiction in particular, to remember my voice, the authentic voice that is me, rather than aspire to a voice that I think others will appreciate. In the end I think why I found writing tedious then and a bit now, is that I was more worried about how my work would be received, than whether or not it was true to myself.

If you want to be a successful writer, in my opinion, then you need to write something that is authentic to you, something that you want to write about, and something that you find meaningful. If you can do that, then it's just a matter of time, if you practice, before you'll end up succeeding. But keep in mind that the majority of successful writers never publish before they reach 30 and most of them don't make a name for themselves til they reach their 40s. So don't expect instant success. Just keep practicing and studying (in other words reading), take plenty of workshops if you can, and never give up. If you can do that then you may succeed, but even if you don't you'll have done something you love.

(To be completely honest, I don't love writing these days, but I am good at it so I don't mind making a living doing it. There are worse things to do in the world.)

Aaron