Baguakid

Closed Door Krapola?

First of all, no one's saying that higher level material shouldn't be protected and reserved for those who deserve it. Not at all.

I'm just saying I've been burned before and burned hard with this stuff. I'm a serious practitioner, not for play and my time and money is worth a lot to me. If I head down a road I want to know that that road has a conclusion and not a deviation for political or other horse$hit reasons.

Think about it like this... Joe Smo has the inner circle teachings of Master XYZ.. . I spend 10+ years training with Joe Smo who advertises that he's an inner circle student of XYZ. So, when I get to the door of the inner world, Joe Smo tells me that'll be 10k please for this opportunity. After I get up from passing out on the floor, Joe Smo tells me this stuff is golden and no one else has it. It's acually worth 20k so I'm getting a bargin.

Can anyone see this point? I'm not saying Garry is this way or GMDW.

Now, let me put it a different way. If, for example, Sifu Garry said, you are going to learn the burning palms system. This will cost you about ~xx.xx dollars and if you can succeed in this training and you are of good character then I will teach you the inner teachings of this system and that will cost you xx.xx dollars for that. You are not allowed to teach anyone else and blah blah blah...

That I can accept.

Two different flavors.

Inner door teachings cost nothing, cause you have earned it, all my teachers never charged me a cent once I become his disciple, so yes I totally feel for you regarding money. But I also charge until I see my student has earned my respect and loyalty and it goes both ways. You train hard and give to the system u deserve the higher teachings!

Informer,

Yes there is many secrets, which I call higher learning this has always been the way of Kung Fu. Example is I teach you a form or meditation without tell you what the names are and what its for, of course you will think you will understand it and then add something you may research or learnt from another system to fill in the blanks. I dont hold back my knowledge you can ask any of my students now and previous, just they need to train hard and show me there skills and knowledge of what is taught to them and they will get the next level plain and simple. If students dont show me what Ive taught them and or do show me I will see very quickly if they have put in the practice and research that I have asked for. They cant answer my questions I give them I see they havent advanced, why should they get another level??? Cause they have money??? Nah, fuck the money I protect my art and my teachers name as well ancestors....money means nothing you cannot buy your way into the school or become a disciple in that manner.

Unless you have been brought up in the chinese way of thinking and training maybe you will never understand this concept, sad but true mate.

Sifu Garry

In my early Yau Kung Mun Kung Fu training with my Sifu, if you never learnt , practiced the lion and dragon dancing every sunday, and participated in the chinese lion and dragon dance festivals you would never be taught the kung fu. So your loyalty to the school was the 1st thing in my experience of traditional kung fu with my sifu.

In my early Yau Kung Mun Kung Fu training with my Sifu, if you never learnt , practiced the lion and dragon dancing every sunday, and participated in the chinese lion and dragon dance festivals you would never be taught the kung fu. So your loyalty to the school was the 1st thing in my experience of traditional kung fu with my sifu.

<smile>... I've been there before too... In a school I was at you were expected to take seminars whether you wanted to or not.. It wasn't said but it was felt if you didn't take the seminar.. Of course, seminars had a dollar value attached to them. It was said, half kidding, half true, just wave some cash under Sifu's nose and he'll teach you whatever you want (maybe real, maybe something he made up).. Sad but true.

I don't know Sifu Garry other than on this board and youtube videos. If we were in person I'm sure we'd be fine. He's said a lot in the past few posts which gets me to know him better..

Gaining admiration and respect to you Sifu Garry.

Thanks for responding that we get to know you a little better,

Bill

Thanks, im not really that much of a bad guy, just very protective of what Im taught and I seem to tell it how it is, just being straight up which some cannot understand. Anyway sorry that you have had a bad experience with Kung Fu, its truly is an amazing culture and journey when you find the right teacher/s!

Take care

Sifu Garry

How many people here on this forum, learn something of this and that and think they know it all from a book or DVD in a matter of months or a year and claim to be the teachers pet and representative? Kunlun is a perfect example!!!

People mixing KAP with Kunlun, and mao shan and all sorts but havent even bothered to study one thing perfectly, another example how a system gets watered down and destroyed I totally see why the masters kept the secrecy.

Yup, as a beginner it's easy to learn various methods....but understanding the ultimate purpose is something far beyond simply having some knowledge about 'how to'.

One interpretation of the Greek word gnosis means, "knowledge gained through experience"...as opposed to knowledge gained from a teacher.

Agree scotty, some need guidance in the interim more than others though and gnosis will come quicker when they have a better understanding before they actually start, do you agree?

How you going these days, what is your practice now?

True...I like both types of knowledge. The more the merrier.

I am sticking with Kunlun, despite not fully understanding it yet lol...and still study other things like rosicrucian, tantra, various forms of bodywork, etc.

Do you feel it was flaunted in a consistent enough manner to intentionally illicit discontent?

Or was it more of a notification that you don't get to participate in watever they do behind the scenes? Some people do some pretty wierd things behinds the scenes, maybe it's for the best.

Well behind the scenes can you give a better example what you mean? Defo not a cult feel, just more training and understanding, herbal and healing knowledge, dim mak information and how things are meant to be. There is an oath you do at the alter when you bai shee to certain gods and or Deities, pouring of wine and other stuff that is transmission if that is what you call behind the scenes?

My Hun Yuan Gong teacher when I bai shee and offered the tea he did an energetic transmission using energy channels and acupuncture points that was different to my Yau Kung Mun one, the YKM Bai Shee which was the oath and offerings, plus we had a dinner after that and I showed my kung fu to my sifu and family.

just to avoid confusion. when I say inner circles are for cults, there is a differentiation between inner circles which are sort of "naturally occurring" and those which become overlords of the outer circles. In retrospect, most martial arts schools probably don't operate in this way as there has always been emphasis on tempering the ego in the religious influences on martial arts, but it would be something to be aware of when inner circles do exist. Cult mentalities form very easily when uncultivated characters develop spiritual authority, as might happen in martial arts schools. I'm glad that hasn't happened at the TTB, at least to my knowledge.. Seems there's enough Anarchism, intelligence, and humble pie to keep the dust down..

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness