Stigweard

Tai-Chi-Wizard.com Blog

The Tai Chi Blog is my mini-journal about Tai Chi Chuan found on www.Tai-Chi-Wizard.com. It...

• lets you know whenever any new Web pages appear on Tai Chi Wizard, telling you about a new find or story
  • keeps you up-to-date with other postings or news about Tai Chi
  • points out some of our super-special past discoveries or stories that you might otherwise miss
  • lets you know when I send out the Tai Chi Wizard e-zine (in case you don't like to give your e-mail address, or if your ISP tends to over-filter causing you to miss an issue).

To subscribe to my Tai Chi blog (no e-mail address necessary), LEFT-click on the orange RSS button (opens a new browser window) and then copy-and-paste the URL of this site's RSS feed into your RSS reader. OR...

Or click on the Google, My Yahoo!, My MSN, or Bloglnes button if you keep a personalized home page there. Follow their instructions.

rss.jpg

googleplus.gif

addtomyyahoo4.gif

add-mymsn2.gif

bloglines.gif

Become Part Of The Blog!

Become part of the Tai Chi Blog! Simply tell your favorite story by clicking here! Your story becomes part of this blog (which shows the site's most recent pages) and a permanent part of Tai-Chi-Wizard.com for others to read! And I'll tweet your Web page at my Twitter account, too!

Enjoy... this is fun!

:D

You can also follow my updates:

Facebook

Twitter

Google+

Edited by Stigweard

Zhi Dao Guan, The Taoist Center, Oakland, California

School Name: Zhi Dao Guan, The Taoist Center and Wu Tao Kuan Martial Art Institute

Overview: A robust Center for the Daoist arts - healing, physical health, spiritual health - Clinic for Traditional Chinese Medicine, Wu Tao Kuan Martial Arts Instuitute, and the Zhi Dao Temple. Founded by Dr. Alex Feng, called The Real Deal. Come and explore Dao in whichever of the Arts calls to you, in an urban Center that is a Taoist community.

Read more about Zhi Dao Guan, The Taoist Center

Edited by Stigweard

Chen Pan Ling Tai Ji Quan

Chen Pan Ling was born in 1892 and spent his entire life studying and teaching Chinese martial arts until his death in 1967. He was expert in external martial arts as well as the three major internal arts: Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, and Taijiquan. During the 1940's, he was involved in the Central Guoshu Institute as a vice president and chaired a committee charged with collating traditional martial arts and developing standardized forms and practices.

Read more about Chen Pan Ling Tai Ji Quan

Why Taoism can change the world

The closing ceremony of the international Taoism forum and a prayer meeting for world harmony concluded at Hengshan Mountain of Hunan province on Oct. 25. The forum has made the "Nanyue Declaration," which states that "being simple and sincere can help people to secure a peaceful mind, and following the laws of nature will ensure sustainable development," "respecting public lives will generate common prosperity" and "striving to promote harmony between heaven and mankind as well as world peace."

Read more about Why Taoism can change the world

Daoist Gate - Wudang Tai Chi, Boston, Massachusetts

School Name: Daoist Gate

Overview: Wudang Mountain Daoist priest Zhou Xuan Yun offers classes on traditional Wudang style tai chi, qi gong, and kung fu with ongoing classes in Boston and in workshops and seminars throughout the U.S.

Teachers Name: Zhou Xuan Yun

Teacher's Lineage: Wudang San Feng martial lineage- 15th Generation

Tai Chi Styles Taught:

Wudang Taiji

Read more on Daoist Gate - Wudang Tai Chi, Boston, Massachusett

• Like 1

Spring & Autumn Martial Arts -- Wudang Tai Chi in University Park, Pennsylvania

Overview: Traditional Wudang Taijiquan, Gongfu, Qigong, & Daoist Studies. Offering classes focused on health and martial discipline.

Teachers Name: Instructor Michael A. Vollero (夏崇义)

Teacher's Lineage: Wudang Sanfeng Pai (under Zhou Xuan Yun)

Tai Chi Styles Taught OR Taoist Sect/Tradition:

Wudang Sanfeng Pai Taijiquan & Gongfu, Zhengyi Dao, Longmen Pai

Tai Chi / Taoist Curriculum:

Health classes focus on the first section of the Wudang Sanfeng Pai Taijiquan 108 Postures Form (approximately 20 movements) with a strong focus on filling and emptying. Martial classes focus on application training, sensitivity development, and offer the full form, along with the Wudang Sanfeng Pai Taijiquan 13 Postures Form for additional martial training. Qigong & Meditation curriculum are focused on student needs and goals.

Read more on Spring & Autumn Martial Arts -- Wudang Tai Chi in University Park, Pennsylvania

Edited by Stigweard

In Tai Chi 'one part of the body moves, the whole body moves'

I think there are 2 'masterkeys' in Tai Chi Chuan .. what you do with your torso & what you do with stepping. You learned some of the torso method from me - sink & allow the upper body to swing so the arms are like pendulums.

The stepping method from the stationary position depends on how well you sink on both sides. The yin & yang of taijiquan if you like. Not hard really as we all do that when we walk. I do watch people walk a lot. It's a sort of hobby of mine.

Read more on In Tai Chi 'one part of the body moves, the whole body moves'

In Tai Chi Chuan, Should the Body Be Integrated or Separated?

I recently had an eye-opening Facebook conversation in one of the Tai Chi groups about, In Tai Chi 'one part of the body moves, the whole body moves'.

There was an instant discrediting of the idea, with the counter claim if one part of the body moves all others must remain still; that the body should be separated into disconnected parts. That Tai Chi movements should be sequential, like ... foot moves, then waist, then upper torso, then arm etc ???

Read more on "In Tai Chi Chuan, Should the Body Be Integrated or Separated?"

Hi Stig,

Question. I've gotten materials from WuDangtao.com and there is blog from Master Chen who I believe does some of the audio materials, which I've enjoyed.

Some of your Tai chi references mention Wudang. Are you familiar with the Wudangtao.com people? Do you find it a legitimate source. It feels authentic to me, but for all I know could be some kid in a basement :).

Hi Stig,

Question. I've gotten materials from WuDangtao.com and there is blog from Master Chen who I believe does some of the audio materials, which I've enjoyed.

Some of your Tai chi references mention Wudang. Are you familiar with the Wudangtao.com people? Do you find it a legitimate source. It feels authentic to me, but for all I know could be some kid in a basement :).

Thanks TL, I don't know anything about them so I have dropped them a line. Thanks for the lead :D

usawkf-national-wushukungfu-championship-2011-21580397.jpg

Event Title: USAWKF National Wushu-Kungfu Championship 2011

Event Date and Time: December 10 & 11 2011

Overview: This annual event at the national level is open for all athletes in the United States and internationally. There are over 200 unique divisions open for all ages and levels. These include Contemporary Wushu, Traditional Kung Fu, forms and weapons, Taijiquan, Other Internal Arts category, Sparring, Grappling, Push-Hands, Chi-Sao and others. At this event the following highlights will also be determined:

Read more on USAWKF National Wushu-Kungfu Championship 2011

2011 Canadian Open Taiji Championships

Event Title: 2011 Canadian Open Taiji Championships

Event Date and Time: Saturday November 12, 2011

Overview: Taiji championships in traditional styles including Chen, Yang, Wu, Sun and Wu/Hao styles. Several event categories in single & group hand forms, weapons and push hands. Showcase of taiji martial artists from all ages competing for top spots

Open championships with participations from across Canada and internationally Special Grand Championships awards.

Read more on 2011 Canadian Open Taiji Championships

Kai Ming Tai Chi Chuan, Birmingham, England

School Name: Kai Ming Association for Taijiquan

Overview: Kai Ming teach Cheng Man Ching Style tai chi and qigong in the Midlands. We have been teaching for over 15 years and cover both the health and martial aspects of the art

Teachers Name: Mark Peters

Read more on Kai Ming Tai Chi Chuan, Birmingham, England

A Small Selection of Scientific Studies About the Health Benefits of Tai Chi Chuan

There have been some groovy scientific studies on the health benefits of Tai Chi Chuan. Here is a small selection:

1. A study investigating the effects of Tai Chi Chuan: Individuals with traumatic brain injury compared to controls

2. Effectiveness of Tai Chi as a Therapeutic Exercise in Improving Balance and Postural Control

3. The Application of Tai Chi Chuan in Rehabilitation and Preventive Care of the Geriatric Population

4. A Cross-Sectional Study of Balance-Related Measures with Older Adults Who Participated in Tai Chi, Yoga, or No Exercise

5. The effect of supervised Tai Chi intervention compared to a physiotherapy program on fall-related clinical outcomes: a randomized clinical trial

Read more on "A Small Selection of Scientific Studies About the Health Benefits of Tai Chi Chuan"

Stillness Movement & Gift of the Tao Neigong with Medical Qigong & Taoist Medicine Clinical Applications

Event Date and Time: January 21-24, 2012

Overview: Join us January 21, 22 to learn the internal Neigong system of Stillness-Movement along with the Shamanic Shifting Neigong techniques of Gift of the Tao movements. In the optional clinical applications days January 23, 24 learn Qi projection techniques (wai qi liao fa) and Chinese Taoist Medicine therapeutic techniques for healing others.

Read more on Stillness Movement & Gift of the Tao Neigong with Medical Qigong & Taoist Medicine Clinical Applications

SIT Monterey- Sunrise Integrative Therapies Monterey, CA, USA

Overview:

These are community service by donation sessions- and we only ask for written feedback via email- of the effects of therapy or hand written after the therapy- about the experience sensations or immediate results. Info could be used for Doctoral research for our Doctoral work within the International Institute of Medical Qigong and Henan College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (China)

Practitioner's Name(s):

Amba Dryg, Takakshi Tamasu, Dahveed Daharo, Hannibal Abera all MMQs (Masters of Medical Qigong Therapy) Current Doctoral Candidates under Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson founder of IIMQ.

Read more on SIT Monterey- Sunrise Integrative Therapies Monterey, CA, USA

Tai Chi Postures and Tai Chi Movements

When discussing the various Tai Chi postures and Tai Chi movements (also referred to as Tai Chi poses or gestures) the very first Tai Chi posture to understand and establish is the Wuji 無極 stance. By understanding this Tai Chi posture properly you will develop a good foundation to then learn all the other Tai Chi postures.

Read more on Tai Chi Postures and Tai Chi Movements

Tai Chi Chuan and the Tao of Anger Management

I recently had the pleasure of being involved in a discussion with fellow Tai Chi practitioners about how Tai Chi can help people deal with anger. The context was in relation to my request for advice about how to help a student manage anger in the training environment, especially once they took a hit or two in sparring. Here are some of the excellent responses I received:

Read more on Tai Chi Chuan and the Tao of Anger Management

Spiritual, Medical & Martial Bagua Qi Gong - Ashland, OR

Event Title: Spiritual, Medical & Martial Qi Gong

Event Date and Time: Dec 10 & 11 - Noon to 7:30pm

Overview: When mastery of vortexes is accomplished with the oldest traditional practice it becomes a beautiful spiraling dance that coils and uncoils with the tao, originating form the void (zero point.) The root of these arts are seen in dances of indigenous cultures and shamanic practices which open up sky ladders to connect with the ancestors. Instead of forms, simple short drills are introduced to make learning easier and fun.

Read more on Spiritual, Medical & Martial Bagua Qi Gong - Ashland, OR