Sign in to follow this  
z00se

Mental Dialogues

I realise everyone has dialogue running through their head every day but i'm sure the type of thing that runs through everybody's head is different, especially depending on what type of person they are. Since this is a tao forum i guess most people would know what element they most probably belong to so i would love it if some people could post a snippit of the general dialog that runs through their head (and i think alot of people have the same things go through their head day in and day out :) - if it's a bit funny and silly all the better!

Heres mine...

Lets get to work, lets get there early then i can get a drink and prepere everything so i can have an easy day. Alright i need to clean my teeth, wash my face, get dressed, have breaky, make my lunch.. yep i've done them all and i've got 25 minutes left to get to work. Ok normally takes me 20 mins so i'll have 5 minutes spare.

(Start driving to work)

ooo look at that chick crossing the road - she's hot, ah what about that one in the car, i can't see her yet, what about the next car, who's in the car after that. What about that girl walking down the street she looks awesome from behind i wanna see her face... *stop and red light* ooo please hurry up and turn around before green light *green light* start to drive off she turns around WOOHOO saw it but it was a bit dissapointing. Alright 20 minutes left to get to work - 5 minutes to the halfway mark, then another 10 minutes, yep cool i'll still make it on time. Ahh my babys got some excama, got to remember to look up on the net about natural remedies at lunch time. Need to remember, Can't forget. Actually i'll write a reminder in my phone so i know i'll remember. Damn i should done some qigong this morning before work my mind is racing. It's alright i'll save it for lunch time. Ah shit thats right i gotta find out about baby's excama, alright net first then qigong. Ah shit but i gotta eat too. Ok eat first then qigong then net. Oh but it's better to do qigong before eating. ok qigong first then eat then net. alright cool. Ok got to halfway mark... hmmm... 15 minutes until i start and 10 mins to arrive. cool on time. *drive past maccas* ah that reminds me of my cool business idea i should really try start my own take away store, it will make me lots of money so easy. Gotta get started! who's in that car, that car, that car, whos walking down the road. Ah yeah my poker night on the weekend i haven't messaged everyone the details. Ah i musn't forget. I'll put a reminder in my phone too. Maybe i can send the messages out on my phone on the way to work at the red lights - one more thing crossed off my list. ok 3/4 to work 10 mins to go, still on time - good. Ah my brain is going 100kms an hr i feel worn out and i'm not even at work yet. Ok do a few healing sounds in the car for the last 5 mins. Ahhh a clear head & peace and quiet thats better. cruise into work with a smile!

• Like 2

Not exactly mental dialogue, but last night while I was lying in bed I kept having this thought run through my head that aliens were in the room with me and wanted me to acknowledge them so that I could see them.

UGH . . . it looks way crazier in type than it did in my head.

My mind battled between trying to dismiss the idea as ludicris and being terrified it was real. It went something like, "Nope, too scary. Just want to forget about it. It could be true. but that's crazy, it can't be possible. but maybe it is, how do you know. maybe you should try to acknowledge them and see if anything happens? what's the worst that could happen? nothing? maybe I don't want to see aliens tonight. Why not? Aliens are ugly and scary as hell and they have those freaky big black eyes and I HATE them and I don't want to see them I just want to go to sleep. but this could change your life. I don't want to change my life, I JUST WANT TO GO TO SLEEP!"

This kept me up for at least an hour . . . I had a serious childhood fear of aliens (probably because my parents let me watch Close Encounters of the Third Kind) and my mind had a really tough time letting go. For a while it just cycled through different reasons why invisible aliens might be hanging out in my room. "Maybe they aren't aliens, maybe they are Terrence McKenna's self transforming machine elves. But I'm not on DMT. Maybe they are parasitic thought forms inhabiting my mind."

Double UGH . . .

For me, there are certain topics that just tend to stick like fishooks in my head. Good topics to avoid at work or before bed.

Oh these are great! Thanks for posting. Mine tend to go a bit like this:

Oh! I just noticed i was thinking, what was it? Oh yeah that (again) damn if follow that one nothing good is going to come of it so...nixed. Ok, what can I think of instead? Ok, let's plan the day in the right order, ok ---switches order about until it feels like a good order---....

Hey ZOOse!

Did you actually get any work done once you finally got there? Hehehe.

Well, y'all know I love music and I have it playing most of the day. The songs take me on various trips. I never know where I will be next, who I will be holding in my arms, where on the planet I will be.

I do work sometimes but I try to keep that to a minimum.

'Go up to the add reply, yeah up there! TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE!! I make a lot of noise typing. Damn I need to take this bowl into the kitchen.'

'Go up to the add reply, yeah up there! TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE TYPE!! I make a lot of noise typing. Damn I need to take this bowl into the kitchen.'

My thought after reading that: "Hahahaha!"

"If I think about my thoughts, I no longer hear any thoughts! Hmmm, I should post that I think..."

I realise everyone has dialogue running through their head every day...

I won't write mine, cuz it's every bit as inane and cluttered as what you wrote.

But I do want to say: great topic, and sharing of that nonsense. :)

It's pretty humbling, when I realize how foolish the thought generators sound. The only times I really step in, though, is when I find myself chasing stuff emotionally, like if I start "scolding" a driver in another car. Then I'll try to derail the thought process. Or if I've gone over something, again and again, and I'm just digging a rut in my brain.

Of course, the thought that these thoughts are wrong, is just another thought. :wacko:

When walking alone, my head often creates scenarios, potential conversations with another person. For awhile, I started to see this as problematic, non-empty, because the "other person" is obviously just a projection of mine. But then, I realized that the scenario-ing can be very useful, because it allows me the chance to find careful wording for me to use, if/when the conversation actually happens. I just have to make sure I don't get attached to the wording, or to my expectations about what the other person wants out of the conversation, or I will ignore the actual conversation, in favor of what I had previously rehearsed.

I see the thought process as potentially very useful, just often way too frantic and compulsive.

"If I think about my thoughts, I no longer hear any thoughts! Hmmm, I should post that I think..."

I have that exact same problem sometimes. They suddenly become really subtle and quiet and not said in words. They go ninja when they don't want to be spotted. :ninja:

I have that exact same problem sometimes. They suddenly become really subtle and quiet and not said in words. They go ninja when they don't want to be spotted. :ninja:

I get that too! So i guess the only way to figure out what they're up to in that situation is to be aware of how you feel and look at what you do?

I get that too! So i guess the only way to figure out what they're up to in that situation is to be aware of how you feel and look at what you do?

Feelings, actions, or very quiet thoughts. Sometimes they just aren't as loud as usual thoughts when you pay attention.

I'll get to a point where I think there's no thoughts coming up, but I'll feel more like shit than with thoughts. There's no inner peace. I'm guessing it's because I'm suppressing thoughts.

Edited by InfinityTruth

Feelings, actions, or very quiet thoughts. Sometimes they just aren't as loud as usual thoughts when you pay attention.

I'll get to a point where I think there's no thoughts coming up, but I'll feel more like shit than with thoughts. There's no inner peace. I'm guessing it's because I'm suppressing thoughts.

Yeah i get constant internal muttering but i can still hear myself think over the top of it. I don't know what the muttering is unless i specifcally listen to it, rather i just talk over the top of it all to myself. Only after i've meditated there is proper silence. The first time i heard silence i didn't know what was different i just felt different. I didn't really notice the muttering i was so used to it but when it was gone it was So peaceful - felt strange.

Hey ZOOse!

Did you actually get any work done once you finally got there? Hehehe.

Well, y'all know I love music and I have it playing most of the day. The songs take me on various trips. I never know where I will be next, who I will be holding in my arms, where on the planet I will be.

I do work sometimes but I try to keep that to a minimum.

haha end up going round in too many circles to get anything done, too busy thinking about the best and most efficent way to do it instead of actually doing anything.

The music is going in your head or on the radio? I have an internal radio sometimes... it's amazing how it sounds so much better in my head than when i try to hum or sing the tune.

It's pretty humbling, when I realize how foolish the thought generators sound. The only times I really step in, though, is when I find myself chasing stuff emotionally, like if I start "scolding" a driver in another car. Then I'll try to derail the thought process. Or if I've gone over something, again and again, and I'm just digging a rut in my brain.

Of course, the thought that these thoughts are wrong, is just another thought. :wacko:

Yeah i agree. The only time i step in is if i don't like what i'm thinking about then i just try change it. The main thing is how your thoughts make you feel. If they make you feel happy then carry on!

When walking alone, my head often creates scenarios, potential conversations with another person. For awhile, I started to see this as problematic, non-empty, because the "other person" is obviously just a projection of mine. But then, I realized that the scenario-ing can be very useful, because it allows me the chance to find careful wording for me to use, if/when the conversation actually happens. I just have to make sure I don't get attached to the wording, or to my expectations about what the other person wants out of the conversation, or I will ignore the actual conversation, in favor of what I had previously rehearsed.

I see the thought process as potentially very useful, just often way too frantic and compulsive.

I do this too, especially when i'm doing something naughty or think i'm going to get told off about something i'll already come up with 5 excuses or perfect conversations to try get myself out of trouble. The only thing is when the time comes i don't actually use any of my rehersed lines. I just fret and my mouth just garbles out whatever it does at the time and none of my rehursed stuff works. Kinda like in the movies when the boy likes the girl and practices what he will say to her then when he sees her he garbles out half of what he practiced and it doesn't make sense and just makes a fool of himself. Thats what i do - so logically, at least for me it's not worth rehersing this type of thing but i still find myself doing it. Now i try to not do it so much because i know it's not useful for me.

haha end up going round in too many circles to get anything done, too busy thinking about the best and most efficent way to do it instead of actually doing anything.

I know what you mean. Been there, done that.

The music is going in your head or on the radio? I have an internal radio sometimes... it's amazing how it sounds so much better in my head than when i try to hum or sing the tune.

Mostly the music is on one of the players. I don't sing worth a darn so I let others who are much better than I do it for me. But yes, sometimes when I have no player going I will get a song in my head and play with it. Mostly these are songs that hold significance to past experiences and the song leads me to recalling the experiences. Hehehe. Just had a recall of Elton John music and the beack in Italy and the beautiful woman I met. WoW! What a nice memory.

I've wondered about that too. But I've found it also works in reverse too. So if I feel like sh$t I'll get more crap thoughts than when I don't.

Sign in to follow this