Sign in to follow this  
Machin Shin

Primordial alchemy that I've done before.

gah, it is a piece of music I'm pretty sure I have on disc somewhere, but I really cant place it right now.

Hells yeah! Led Zep is the shiznit. I think tonight I shall bake myself and then listen to some excellent tunes.

Nice catch Deci Belle! I picked up a classical music for guitar book up from the library the other day and noticed that one in there. Some of that stuff is really cool when you play it with the wrong timing and such.. lol..

Nice catch Deci Belle! I picked up a classical music for guitar book up from the library the other day and noticed that one in there. Some of that stuff is really cool when you play it with the wrong timing and such.. lol..

I miss learning classical guitar. Hard to keep the nails the right length and everything. :P

Not to mention I'd bleed every time I scratched an itch. >.<

Thanks everyone!

I'm putting together a letter for the Kalachakra ceremony in December. Suggestions or timely observations about reality that H.H. Tenzin Gyatso would like to hear about?

Hey hey pretty lady!

• Like 1

gain staging :lol: (we were gifted a '62 HK a- 260, and it made me correlate ;) )

Nice! I'd love to play around on something like that. Getting bored with my Line 6...solid state is no fun. :P

Less nerve-wracking to gig with, though. Hehe.

That's actually going to be powering some good studio monitors for mixing & mastering...once I clean 30 years of grime off of it and replace all the caps, etc :rolleyes: That's going to be a pain in the rear!

Been screwing with a lot of tube amps lately and repairing some gotta pour over schematics, having the old yeti trace signal paths along the schematic is pretty interesting. Those applications are similar to mixing audio together and applying effects - you can only "bring in so much gain" for a given stage that the signal passes through; otherwise the result sounds unnatural in some fashion (doesnt matter the effect being applied, the rule is the same whether its compression, delay, eq., etc.) In other words, for a given process there's only a certain size step that's appropriate. When the signal first comes in a 12AX7 stages pretty hot to bring a good dynamic to the signal path, then something like a 12AU7 provides a smooth compression where the signal never reaches the point of breaking up (distortion.) Then by the time the signal hits something solid state the step-ups are the most "clean." (I tried popping a pair of 12AU7s in my ADA MB-1 and the result was turning the distortion from clean to edge to full only meant the signal got fatter, fatter, whereas with the 12AXs provided a good distortion.)

Basically the tubes are the *true* analog and everything else is far more granular in its quantization.

That can all be related to the body's fields, except that it goes both ways instead of just stepping a signal UP for presentation through a speaker cab. The "gain staging" still takes place ;) And that's why you can only do a certain measure of gainstage at a given energycenter...

The line 6s arent that bad - its nice to hear certain things "for real" and then hear what the emulation sounds like - its pretty close, and at low volumes the emulated stuff can take the pepsi challenge - but at full performance volumes, a good set of tubes from the 50s or 60s blows the emulated stuff out of the water. (what line6 do you have? if its something that does a stereo presentation like the X3 or UX models you can send the left & right channels through different preamps - setting those in stereo produces a really cool effect, play around with that if you have the capability!)

:lol: it just occurred to me that HK can mean more than one thing - while my buddy does have a really nice hughes & ketterner (old tubes did *WONDERS*) I meant Harmon Kardon, since hughes was most certainly not around in 1960 :lol:

Edited by joeblast

Sign in to follow this