Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

The case for qi?

氣(chi), in the west, was only known or translated as energy. Unfortunately, the character was abide by the sole definition restricting to move forward for other explanations. If the character was traced back to its root, then, its multi-definition may be more versatile to be used in other fields. Its usage in the meaning of the character in the Chinese society is not very clear. The most common meaning in an ordinary daily life, it means 'air.' When a TCM practitioner says your chi is low, then, that is where the confusion starts. It didn't mean as air for sure but most people took it as chi without clarity. Unfortunately, when a chi kung master use the term to explain what it is, most people would think of it as the chi term in TCM.

Despite to the simplified Characters, there are three basic characters for chi in the Chinese language which are 气(Chi), 炁(chi) and 氣(chi).

气(chi) is the ancient character for air.

炁(chi) is an ancient character with the meaning as the primordial substance which is the basic essence of all matters. The essential chi comprised of the yin-yang chi as a whole. In order for matter to be formed, the yin-chi(yin substance) and yang-chi(yang substance) must react together and become a harmonized chi.

氣(chi) is a character with multi-definition. Its meaning depends how and where was used and applied in different fields. This character was used, in the modern time, almost anywhere without an explicit definition. That's why it was so confusing around the world.

To a Taoist with the notion of preserving life, 炁(chi) is the energy source within the human body. After breathing and taking the nourishment, it becomes 氣(chi) as human energy or body strength.

氣(chi) in TCM(Traditional Chinese Medicine), it means the functional activities of the organs. For example, when the TCM practitioner says that the liver chi was clogged, it simply means that the functional activities of the liver has come to a halt. When the liver chi was low, it was said to be that the liver is malfunction or not functioning to its full capacity.

氣(chi) in Chi Kung, the character by itself means 'air.' When compound with 功(Kung), chi means breathing; and Chi Kung means the ultimate method of breathing to be practiced or cultivated to its perfection. By the way, the tremendous energy in the human body resulted from Chi Kung was by the biochemical reaction of the functional activities of the organs. In western term, the bio-energy was known as adenosine triphosophate(ATP). In this case, the bio-energy can be referred as the chi-energy in the body.

Nowadays, the modern Chinese are trying distinguish the two characters by defining 炁(chi) as energy and 氣(chi) as air or gaseous substance.

The meaning of qi you describe above sounds identical to the indigenous native American's idea of manitou. It is the substance which underlies everything.

The meaning of qi you describe above sounds identical to the indigenous native American's idea of manitou. It is the substance which underlies everything.

it is the "force" that sustains the universe

氣(chi) in TCM(Traditional Chinese Medicine), it means the functional activities of the organs. For example, when the TCM practitioner says that the liver chi was clogged, it simply means that the functional activities of the liver has come to a halt. When the liver chi was low, it was said to be that the liver is malfunction or not functioning to its full capacity.

This is how I understand Qi, as the overall metaphor for the functions of the body, including those of the skeletal-muscular system.

With our eyes, we see the body as a solid thing, but its functioning is not. Its functioning is patterns, waves, pulses, fluid motion, electricity. Those functions can only be felt by kinesthetic senses, some of which don't have names in Western culture. By learning to pay attention to these subtler senses, we can go deeper than the visual illusion of solidity, and experience the body directly as energy, as process.

• Like 1

This is how I understand Qi, as the overall metaphor for the functions of the body, including those of the skeletal-muscular system.

With our eyes, we see the body as a solid thing, but its functioning is not. Its functioning is patterns, waves, pulses, fluid motion, electricity. Those functions can only be felt by kinesthetic senses, some of which don't have names in Western culture. By learning to pay attention to these subtler senses, we can go deeper than the visual illusion of solidity, and experience the body directly as energy, as process.

I guess people just can't run away with the notion that Chi is not "ENERGY". No matter how hard I tried.... :D

I guess people just can't run away with the notion that Chi is not "ENERGY". No matter how hard I tried.... :D

Maybe you're just joking, can't tell.

Just to be clear, I was not saying that Qi is energy. I just said that it is a metaphor of the body, experienced as energy.

Maybe you're just joking, can't tell.

Just to be clear, I was not saying that Qi is energy. I just said that it is a metaphor of the body, experienced as energy.

Experienced as energy. I'll buy that.

To me, I always thought the Experienced Energy as ATP.

Edited by ChiDragon

Experienced as energy. I'll buy that.

To me, I always thought the Experienced Energy as ATP.

I don't know what role ATP plays, but to me, Qi is more abstract than that.

For example, my experience of efficient movement or of being in a balanced wobble or whirling spiral, are the same as my experience of Qi. Taken literally, it suggests that Qi is (the function of the body, including) the movement of the body. When I feel balance and ease/efficiency, I am feeling my body following the flow, i.e. moving more like an "energetic" body, than a physical one.

The experience of the "energetic body" is identical to the experience of being effortless, and without intention. That is, authenticity = listening = flow = Qi. Qi is the metaphor for what I experience when I allow my body to be what it is itself, without "my" interference.

In these cases, power is not derived so much from quick-burning muscle fuel, but by efficient use of the muscle; fibers working in harmony. It comes from listening to the body, and letting the body choose, and lead the action, rather than forcing intention on the body.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this