ralis

Fukushima Reactor Meltdown

It would mean that everyone everywhere would be able to enjoy a much higher standard of living than we do today, and we could get cheap energy to the developing world to help them get out of poverty.

The problem is that the introduction of LWTR technology alone wouldn't accomplish that, because we already have enough resources today to easily eliminate poverty in the whole world.

As I said, humankind's problems are not of scientific nature, but of political nature.

This is the kind of stuff that makes my blood boil when I think about it. You called it "absurd?" How about criminal?

The two illegal wars and the action in Libya are in direct violation of U.S. and International law! This law was established by the Nuremberg tribunals after WWII. No matter how the Bush administration framed it, an unprovoked attack on a sovereign country is illegal. Those wars are about oil and resources! So far the costs will probably be over 1 trillion.

LFTR would be our best bet, solar and wind are great but not realistic for grid power.

I agree that most of the hold up is political and not scientific or technical in nature.

I hope to work with the LFTR community to change that via a PR campaign.

The problem is that the introduction of LWTR technology alone wouldn't accomplish that, because we already have enough resources today to easily eliminate poverty in the whole world.

As I said, humankind's problems are not of scientific nature, but of political nature.

LFTR would be our best bet, solar and wind are great but not realistic for grid power.

I agree that most of the hold up is political and not scientific or technical in nature.

I hope to work with the LFTR community to change that via a PR campaign.

The problem is one of entrenched corporate power here in the U.S. Overturning 'Citizens United' would be a first step.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031963_radiation_exposure.html

EPA to raise limits for radiation exposure while Canada turns off fallout detectors

The EPA maintains a set of so-called "Protective Action Guides" (PAGs). These PAGs are being quickly revised to radically increase the allowable levels of iodine-131 (a radioactive isotope) to anywhere from 3,000 to 100,000 times the currently allowable levels.

http://blog.alexanderhiggins.com/2011/04/01/breaking-radiation-san-francisco-18100-drinking-water-limits-13014/

Radioactive Iodine-131 in rainwater sample near San Francisco was 18,100% above federal drinking water standard

Iodine-131 was measured in a rainwater sample taken on the roof of Etcheverry Hall on UC Berkeley campus, March 23, 2011 from 9:06-18:00 PDT. The 3 Liters of rainwater collected contained 134 Becquerels of Iodine for an average of 20.1 Becquerel per liter, which equates to 543 Picocuries per liter .

The federal drinking water limit for Iodine-131 is 3 Picocuries per liter, putting the rainwater sample at 18,100% above the federal drinking water limit

~~~ TheTaoBums Moderation ~~~

Moved into the "Off Topic" section.

Thanks for your patience,

Trunk

~~~ /out ~~~

Actually, anarchy requires a certain mindset... mature, self-determined people and a lot of effort to make it work. In your energy-crisis scenario what is much more likely to happen is what history shows usually happens in great crises (just look at the Great Depression): tyranny. Because the majority of people (those who make 'soft tyranny' work in the first place) are weakened by the crisis and having lived in a control structure for so long, when they are a lot more on their own, they look up to a great authoritative leader to make things nice again.

Anarchy can only work if people respect others and don't look up to power.

The thing is that our imagination is very important for bringing about change, and seeing further into the future can work, but many people abandon thoughts like that, thus it is a self-fulfilling failure.

Of course smaller steps forward have a higher chance of succeeding than greater ones. Nevertheless, I think the whole spectrum is important. Looking farther ahead is a more difficult endeavor, thus we should support those people instead of treating their effort like it's worthless. Everything hinges on what we choose to believe.

yes yes yes

do not be distracted just becoz they found another war or 2, produced a birth certificate , and now have a dead bin laden.

is there an effort to re-colonize north arfica and arabia? and lets just pretend the crisis in japan went away.........

Edited by zerostao

I just realized that I've been reading about LFTR technology years ago without knowing which technology it is. Lyndon LaRouche has been advocating those so called "fourth generation nuclear reactors" for years and mentioned that they are inherently safe. He said they could even be built as a mobile mini-reactor on a ship, thus portable along a coast wherever needed. He thought this might be a nice thing for Africa.

Edited by Hardyg

I just realized that I've been reading about LFTR technology years ago without knowing which technology it is. Lyndon LaRouche has been advocating those so called "fourth generation nuclear reactors" for years and mentioned that they are inherently safe. He said they could even be built as a mobile mini-reactor on a ship, thus portable along a coast wherever needed. He thought this might be a nice thing for Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_IV_reactor

LFTR is a type of molten salt reactor and I guess would technically qualify as a 4th generation reactor. There are 5 other types of 4th gen reactors.

Of all of them LFTR is the safest, cheapest and produces the least waste that I am aware of.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

"The report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office noted that while the industry has a voluntary initiative to monitor leaks into underground water sources"

Amazing that checking for radioactive leakage is voluntary. :blink:

And that coolant and radioactive leaks are considered a mere PR problem.

I guess those people don't have to lie anymore. They feel safely protected against the rage of the people.

The article also shows how regardless of the technology, profit-maxing efforts can make any technology harmful. A while ago I found a German website that documents the environmental messups of wind power plants. One of the most outrageous cases was a windmill built in an environmental protection area. It had a transmission oil leakage, spilling the oil all over the place by means of its rotor blades.

By the way ... that's why privatization is cheaper. Because they do a messy job.

Conclusion: Keep potentially dangerous technologies away from immature children.

P.S.: Why is that article calling nuclear power plants "nukes"? Nukes means nuclear weapons.