Immortal4life

2 Sweet Documentaries

Here Graham Hancock talks about areas where Shamanism is superior to western science-

Nowhere does he say shamanism is superior! He said there are differences. What is your point in all of this?

Edited by ralis

Wisdom from Richard Feynman. I hope Immortal 4 Life views these videos which reveal how science really works.

i would also recommend post-52446-130435575488_thumb.jpg

post-52446-130435579231_thumb.jpg

I could add my thoughts about evolution here, but it seems as though this conversation is delving into something more fundamental than that.

This is a discussion that questions, "Is there value in things that are not science?" "If so, is it possible for those things to have more value than science?"

To initially answer this question, I draw attention to this podcast on the placebo effect:

http://www.radiolab.org/2007/may/17/

One particular segment describes Dr. Albert Mason who hypnotized a patient into curing himself of warts. What neither Mason nor the patient knew at the time was that the patient did not actually have warts, but instead was diagnosed with an incurable skin disease. This disease was so ingrained that, according to other doctors, treating the disease was impossible by any means, let alone via hypnosis. But no matter how impossible it was, it happened.

What I glean from this story is that there are areas of thinking (in our brain chemistry perhaps?) that it is possible to tap into in order to produce miracles. It is likely that many religions have tapped into this same process in the past, though it is possible they did this unknowingly. Perhaps science will one day be able to quantify this feat and we will all be able to produce miracles. Or maybe science is leading us into a different direction. This new direction may take us to many wonderful places, but at the same time move us away from this inherent process of miracles.

While I think that science is a very useful and democratic path, I think it is only one path mankind could have followed and not necessarily the only path it could have followed.

While I think that science is a very useful and democratic path, I think it is only one path mankind could have followed and not necessarily the only path it could have followed.

It's interesting to think about what science and technology would look like if it were developed from a spiriritual perspective or by a spiritually enlightened society.

It would probably be quite different than the science that exists today.

Not true - evolution as a scientific theory is so consistent with observable data and so strong in predictive value, that the only folks calling its overall validity into question are those who believe in an alternative assertion (not a scientific theory mind you). As a rule, all of these folks are attempting to gain support for Creat-Intelligent Design-ism due to their fervent desire that the book of Genesis represents reality rather than allegory. That's the bottom line.

Yawn...

Hello Steve,

I believe that a higher power actually formed everything in existence and dictated the direction that life took, whether it was through the process of evolution or some other process. I don't necessarily believe that all people who examine evolution and question it's scientific merit are necessarily anti-Darwin. I don't actually question evolution mind you, for me it's quite and open and closed case, just making a point.

Aaron

I believe that a higher power actually formed everything in existence and dictated the direction that life took, whether it was through the process of evolution or some other process. I don't necessarily believe that all people who examine evolution and question it's scientific merit are necessarily anti-Darwin. I don't actually question evolution mind you, for me it's quite and open and closed case, just making a point.

Aaron

How that is an understanding which, although I do not hold to, I can easily understand and accept.

Afterall, who can say that they know, absolutely, what caused the first cause?

For those who need an answer I think that this is an acceptable one.

But the processes exist and to deny that they exist is to be very close-minded and tunnel-visioned.

It's interesting to think about what science and technology would look like if it were developed from a spiriritual perspective or by a spiritually enlightened society.

It would probably be quite different than the science that exists today.

Uh... medieval alchemy? Which evolved into chemistry :D

Edited by Romie

It is debatable how enightened people really were in the midieval age. Even the most spiritual people of that time may have still had limitied concepts and thinking.