Sign in to follow this  
searcher

Which qigong system combines movements with specific breathing patterns like pranayama?

A friend told me I can get my answers here. Looking for some qigong styles with pranayama breathing yogic techniques. Which ones should I learn?

A friend told me I can get my answers here. Looking for some qigong styles with pranayama breathing yogic techniques. Which ones should I learn?

Mantak Chia has some breathing exercises and you get to jerk off at the same time and call it a spiritual practice.

But my question is this - why on the earth are looking for "pranayama yogic" techniques in Qigong?

If you want to learn pranayama you gotta find a pranayama teacher. Not a book, not a DVD but a Master. And guess what - the pranayama masters are in India, Nepal ....

So I can tell you this for sure: You are not going to find a pranayama Master on this forum.

Not all but probably the majority of Qigong sets I have learned incorporate breathing with the movements, such as 8 Brocade, Dragon and Tiger medical Qigong, Jenny Lambs Qigong set all involve breathing with movement, but none have involved forced rough breathing like you get in some pranayama.

pranayama can be learned on your own.

the book "the science of breath" gives you all you need as a base and simple 7 3 7 breathing is awesome (7in 3hold 7out and repeat).

labels such as gi gong, pranayama, etc are all just words....what techniques work for you is what is important! make your own.

pranayama can be learned on your own.

the book "the science of breath" gives you all you need as a base and simple 7 3 7 breathing is awesome (7in 3hold 7out and repeat).

labels such as gi gong, pranayama, etc are all just words....what techniques work for you is what is important! make your own.

You need to be careful with breathing methods, you are altering the instinctual brainstem level rhythms of your body by doing them which is why many people recommend pranayama being taught by a teacher

Small Universe is in a general sense very similar to the basic Pranayama of Lahiri Mahasaya's Kriya Yoga. Instead of 2 separate phases for rotating around the spine and then touching each center individually with awareness, with SU, it is as if these two phases were combined and the focus moves with the breath from one center to the next. Of course different centers are used but with either technique at the end of the practice, you have rotated energy is around spinal centers, and used sound currents on each center. That said I think the effect of each technique is very different.

Mantak Chia has some breathing exercises and you get to jerk off at the same time and call it a spiritual practice.

So I can tell you this for sure: You are not going to find a pranayama Master on this forum.

I haven't studied Chia's stuff in a while, but this seems to be a misunderstanding and over simplification of what he taught. I don't recall any masturbation in any of the chi gung, iron shirt, sitting or standing meditations. A small part of his teachings were sexual tantra, but even there as I remember he was anti ejaculation.

IMO there are many chi gung systems that include pranayama. No trip to Nepal, India or Shangrila is needed, or recommended until you get some basics under your belt. A live teacher is best but you can go pretty far without a 'master'.

Sign in to follow this