mewtwo

teaching qigong?

you meen learn taichi starjumper7? why would i need a how to video on taichi?

I haven't been fol.owing this thread much but I didn't mean that. I saw that you have learned tai chi so maybe you should teach that instead of chi kung, and if you show us a video of your tai we can see how you move.

I dont know taichi well enough to teach it i dont think. I do know my system of qigong well though.

I dont know taichi well enough to teach it i dont think. I do know my system of qigong well though.

Who taught your system of chi kung to you?

Again i came up with it after i learned that it does not matter what form you do externaly it matters what you do internaly.

Besides grounding does anyone have any other things to do for someone experienceing a spiritual emergency/awakening?

Edited by mewtwo

Again i came up with it after i learned that it does not matter what form you do externaly it matters what you do internaly.

HA! It matters if your form sucks, doesn't it?

Besides grounding does anyone have any other things to do for someone experienceing a spiritual emergency/awakening?

Learn how to ground.

yeah so um one more time in your guyses oppinoin do you think i should be teaching based on what you have gathered from asking me questions and such? i kind of get the feeling after seeing the video of me you guys are ok with me teaching do i have this right?

Thanks

yeah so um one more time in your guyses oppinoin do you think i should be teaching based on what you have gathered from asking me questions and such? i kind of get the feeling after seeing the video of me you guys are ok with me teaching do i have this right?

Thanks

NO, you're not ready to teach. not even close.

if any of my students walked into your class, they would take one look at your stance, and they would walk out the door. unfortunately, absolute beginners don't have an eye for that sort of thing, which is why it's a responsibility you should take more seriously and REALLY LEARN YOUR CRAFT BEFORE YOU TEACH.

i'm not sure if people are just being polite or if they truly don't see what's staring them in the face, but i have no problem saying that it's a horrible idea. you don't know enough. even what you THINK you've figured out is severely flawed. and your body mechanics are awful. balance and connectedness matter. understanding the difference between cleansing, tonifying, refining, and storing is important. knowing when there is TOO MUCH energy stuck in a particular area or organ matters. CIRCULATION OF THE ENTIRE SYSTEM is the bare minimum that someone should expect from a qigong class, and your form doesn't have it. even the color you visualize has consequences. if you were teaching your "lion style" to someone with a heart condition or hypertension, the idea of swimming in red sauce could be disastrous for that person. if they are lucky, you won't be able to generate enough energy in the class to be of much consequence. and too many of your movements will stimulate heart energy, to the exclusion of the other organs.

if you were actually skilled at listening to your body, you would feel the disharmony in your movements and you wouldn't move the way that you do. and being a big guy is no excuse. i'm a big guy, but my movements are graceful, fluid, and, when appropriate--LIKE WHEN TEACHING OTHERS--exquisitely executed. beginners seldom pick up the subtleties of movement, but if the teacher doesn't have them to begin with... :unsure: good teachers move in everyday life with a certain grace and balance. you can see some of their skill in even their most simple motions. look at a video of Jerry Alan Johnson or Bruce Kumar Frantzis.

you have potential. there's no question there. but IMO you have no business teaching. you have a lot more learning to do, and you might want to start with UNLEARNING what you think you already have figured out. like the idea of eating a haphazardly generated energy ball to heal the digestive system? you really are lacking in even the very basics of qigong theory.

you should share a list of the books and videos you've studied. you've either got the wrong material or you're missing too many important details that are right in front of you.

there's a whole lot more to it than "here's a way that you can gather energy that you can feel." all energy is not created equal, but nothing you've shared here, including your form, demonstrates that you understand that. if you're lucky you'll get nowhere because you're not dealing with enough energy. otherwise, you could do some damage.

there's plenty of good material out there for you to practice while you continue to learn. and maybe you can lead your friends through one of the medical qigong forms that are safe and easy to learn. then you can develop your skill in a safe way. also, if you start meditating daily, many of the elements you're missing will become self-evident. vipassana is great, and there's plenty of material available on it.

i take my role as a teacher and healer very seriously. i have hundreds of books and videos, and i'm always refreshing my knowledge. but really, it only takes one or two good books & videos if you study them THOROUGHLY, but you've gotta have the right material and be willing to really, REALLY study that material. or one good teacher will do. ;)

thank you to those of you who were willing to express caution and/or disapproval. this was an instance in which it was necessary.

• Like 3

Thanks

No.

But it should not be based upon our opinion but your own accomplishments of study of qigong. And it appears you have not done one single bit of study or practice of qigong. Martial Arts is martial arts. Qigong is qigong.

I see a definite lack of confidence. One cannot manipulate energy without confidence.

Suggestions for your form: Learn real qigong, practice it about 6-10 or more years, then put what you have learned into your form. Broader, more sweeping movements. Get it out of your head that the upper centers need stimulation for beginning students. Work more with lower dan tian. Develop a closing that brings energy down. More graceful, whole body movements.

I wasn't going to comment here but people have been so darn nice to you that it seems you have not listened at all. I truly believe that you would only confuse and quite possibly hurt people if you continue with this.

Now all that said, I encourage you to stick with qigong and end up developing your own form. But first learn and practice it. Once you have, your form will significantly change.

• Like 6

IMO fixing qi sickness should be intuitive (a skilled teacher can tell you how to fix your specific problem before you finish explaining it). There is a complex interrelated system of chi circulatory channels running through the body that each have problems associated with each meridian.

If the spine is slightly out of alignment during a spiritual awakening then the most peaceful person can quickly develop psychosis, just as an example of one of the things that can happen.

I think that you should study healing modalities such as reiki or massage therapy. This will increase your knowledge of such things.

Maybe hold off on teaching until you have some proficiency with healing. also aura vision is a useful skill to possess when guiding neophytes.

I think Darin Hamel (who posts here and has a youtube channel) asserts that after your spiritual awakening has stabilized then there is a phase where you should pass on what you have learned. I find wisdom in this particular assertion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarinHamel

keep going, keep playing.

Edited by phore
  • Like 1

I think you guys still aren't being blunt enough so I will be blunt to mewtwo.

In chi kung you must first heal yourself before you heal others and you haven't done that. You are disgusting fat and highly toxic, the only reason you have some health left is because you are so young. Save yourself first ... if you can.

THEN if you can heal yourself you can teach

On the other hand someone as sick as a dog, and many of them are, can do Reiki; so that is better for you.

It is good you want to teach chi kung but you don't appear to have studied it much at all, either on DVDs or in person with a real teacher. You are being a big fool.

Get real man, and if you teach and end up making someone sick, which I guarantee, how will you feel then?? Do you care about helping others? Really? Or is this an ego thing for you? You can't help others if you don't help yourself first and you haven't done that much. Why am I wasting my life here?

Edited by Starjumper7

For almost my entire adult life I have been in the aerial photography/mapping business. I have a B.S.degree in Physical Geography, and took numerous courses in cartography and graphic arts. Shortly after getting out of school I took a job with a local mapping firm.

I have done every phase of the process, almost always with a deadline. 40 hours a week, 31 years, tens of thousands of feet of film and a reputation within the industry as one of the best. Several years ago, the university called and needed someone to teach Air Photo Interpretation. I accepted the part time evening position and taught the course for 5 semesters. In preparing my notes and class presentation I learned that there was still much more to learn. It wasn't so much that I didn't know the information, it was getting what was intuitive and second nature into a presentable format. I also found that the students challenged me.

Teaching will humble you, however the rewards are worth it.

Edited by Eric23
  • Like 2

I think you have some very good advice here...some gentle and some not so gentle but still good advice.

A teacher said to me, years ago, when you practice, practice perfect, not just practice, practice, practice.

It is perfect practice, perfect practice, perfect practice.

The more I learn the more I realize I still have so much more to learn. In Dr. Johnson's school, we were told not to teach qigong until at least a minimum of 3 years of daily practice and to be authorized by a teacher.

Here's one of the places I learned. You might check it out. Some times they will come to your area and train people if there is enough interest. You will get good, solid foundational basics from them. These people are masters.

http://www.medicalqigong.org/

Good luck,

Susan

So um yeah i really wana teach qigong i have spent alot of time researching it and such. I have even kind of developed my own system. i was wonderind what you guys think it takes to teach qigong?

Like you, Mewtwo, I don't have a lot of formal training, and I do a lot of improv "Qi Gong-ish" stuff. I find it very powerful in my life. And there was even a time, in which I thought I was close to teaching it to others.

Teaching, however, is much more than being able to experience mastery within myself. Since I have my own awareness of what goes on in my body, then I can feel "what matters" from within.

But I have no such insight into another. I can't tell where energy is going in them, or how they are experiencing an exercise. I only have the outside to view, and I only have words and example to share.

I can't speak for you, but I feel that I have many more levels of mastery to go, before I should ever consider being a teacher, and quite possibly misleading others. This, despite the fact that like you, I once thought I might be ready.

I hope you take the precautionary advice given to you by so many clear-eyed practitioners in this thread. I am willing to bet that in a couple years, you'll look back on this moment and ask yourself: "what was I thinking? I knew nothing back then."

hey mtwo...

i apologize for my previous post, i often misread things and have to insert the proverbial foot. so i am glad at least that you aren't poking people with things!

:blush:

i still stand by my opinion that these arts are things you should be almost reluctant to teach, and if anything should be approached hesitantly...as if crossing a frozen river. are you ready to fall in?? i sure ain't...i like to be dry!

so i apologize again, and i promise to do a better job of reading in the future,

later

Edited by Mr. T

I'm always taken aback whenever someone tells me they took one or two lessons in something and then feel free to change it - to create their own style, version and then on top of that to teach it. Sometimes it is done after seeing a DVD or reading a book.

In Qi gong and tai chi chuan there are so many subtleties - internal goings on that it is almost impossible to grasp without someone who is knowledgeable to show you the way - and it takes many times of them showing before you get it, and sometimes you don't.

After studying, actually the correct word is practicing, one imbibes it. All tai chi chuan has the same underlying principles as chi gong - tai chi is a form of chi gong, so at some point when one has mastered these principles fully and internally knows them (in the biblical sense -_-) he/she might make modifications to fit an organic situation.

Usually after someone has practiced and understood they feel no need to change only to refine by going deeper and deeper into their path. It is only ego - beginners who have this need.

Here we have systems which have been handed down and improved upon from generation to generation - what would be the point to make up your own. The improvements were made by long term practitioners after many years of hard work and practice.

As you must have surmised by now i don't think you should teach at this time.

However, you should find a system you love and work it. You'll know when it is time to teach.

A man is stopped in the street and a stranger asks him "How do you get to Carnegie Hall". The man replies "Practice practice practice":D

Whew longest post I've ever written.

Mewtwo,

You've gotten some pretty direct criticism. Before I give my .02, let me tell you that your desire to teach is honorable and you should follow it. But, first before becoming a teacher, you need to learn how to be a good student which takes time, patience, persistence and dedication. You have not put enough time or energy in being a student... Study, practice, learn and set a goal to become a teacher. Learn from some recognized teachers first. You may be destined to be a brilliant teacher. But, first you need to study and learn...

I understand what you mean when you say that all movement with breath "cultivates" chi. But there is much more to it than that.

Having watched your vid, I do not think you have an understanding between the difference of Martial qigong (which is VERY exacting and specific), healing qigong (which is also very subtle) and basic warm-up style qigong. You mentioned that you were trying to teach a martial qigong style. As a martial artist, if I came into your class and you were teaching martial qigong, I would expect you to be able to demonstrate how to transfer that qi energy into your strikes and blocks. based on what I saw of your posture and movements, I do not think you are able to transmit chi effectively in a martial application. So, I am not completely sure why you called it martial qigong. Perhaps you are thinking of a Tai Chi style warm-up or health style qigong?

Anyway, this horse is dying and I think the message is clear. Focus on your own study and practice before even considering teaching...

Good luck to you...

• Like 1