Sign in to follow this  
surfingbudda

I Ching's purpose?

So what exactly is was the purpose of the I Ching? Is it just a tool for oracle prediction to help predict the future, or is its true meaning deeper than that? Does a seeker of the Tao and internal alchemist have any real use or need of the I Ching? I know the Tao Te Chin is a very useful guideline to understanding and becoming one with the Tao, but is the I Ching another valuable spiritual text or only for those interested in figuring out the future? I am just wondering if it is worth my time to try and understand the I Ching, however I am not too worried about predicting the future for personal knowledge so I am wondering if I should even bother to delve deeper into the text?

Without the Changes I doubt we would have had the DDJ.

The Yijing is utterly profound. It's purpose is to reveal all the possible changes in any given situation or state of mind.

It can be used as a book of wisdom, as a method of divination, or both.

I see it as a mirror to the mind.

More experienced folks might chip in here as I have only started to read it. I have divined with it twice and the outcome was startlingly clear and extremely relative to the question I asked.

All the best.

I don't know what it's for, but here's what I think.

It's the biggest "quantum processor" in the world because it is the world, all seen and unseen of it.

It's systems theory in action.

It's the "book" of how "things" (any "thing") change for people who keep forgetting that things change at all and sincerely expect things to keep on the way they think they are.

It's what I read when I get stuck in a stupid feedback loop that has nothing to do with reality. It's what I read when I wonder if I am "on tao" or off course entirely.

So what exactly is was the purpose of the I Ching? Is it just a tool for oracle prediction to help predict the future, or is its true meaning deeper than that? Does a seeker of the Tao and internal alchemist have any real use or need of the I Ching? I know the Tao Te Chin is a very useful guideline to understanding and becoming one with the Tao, but is the I Ching another valuable spiritual text or only for those interested in figuring out the future? I am just wondering if it is worth my time to try and understand the I Ching, however I am not too worried about predicting the future for personal knowledge so I am wondering if I should even bother to delve deeper into the text?

When you are looking at a steak you're about to eat, your eyes inform your brain as to what they're looking at and your brain starts predicting the future and transmitting the information to the rest of your body. The prediction is, "There's an 80% chance you are going to have to digest this." Based on this prediction, your brain informs your salivary glands: "something will happen in the near future that will require some input from you. You need to be prepared, so start secreting, please." It also informs the stomach, "I have a prediction for you, you are going to have to digest a piece of meat in the near future. Please release the hydrochloric acid." It also informs your heart, "something will happen in the near future, you don't need to know all the details but you have to pump some blood away from me, the brain, and in the general direction of the digestive tract -- starting in about ten minutes. Trust me. And get to work." It also informs your liver and pancreas, "there's a job coming your way, an easy one, no sugar involved, just proteolytic enzymes, please." In this way, your whole body is adjusted to meet the future with adequate tools.

If something breaks down in this system of communications about the future, an illness follows.

Just as it happens in a society that has lost this "just the tool for predicting the future."

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I think I will go ahead and read a copy if the I Ching when I get a chance. This book looks pretty good, has anyone here looked atMy link

Have a look round this site:

I Ching online

I have found

I Ching, The book of Changes and the Unchanging Truth (Hua-Ching Ni)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=I+ching+hua+ching-ni&x=0&y=0

to be especially profound and inspiring. It's about $23 right now on amazon... I paid the full $35 despite being very poor because I wanted to make sure that I got a copy true to the profundity of the spiritual path and content of the I Ching. As a wonderful supplement there are 200 pages before the root text that build from the base up the process of energy movement, combination, and description that builds all of life. It is very complex, but wonderful. I am working very hard on my Vajrayana BuddhaDharma commitments at this point, but have found what I learned here so essential in every aspect of life... My Dharma practice is so much more effective with even a small understanding of the patterns of energy flow.

About its benefit: The I-Ching is universally applicable when you understand that the divination process is a practice training the mind in the wisdom of energy movement/interdependence/cause & effect. As we do divination we get bigger perspective on a situation, where it came from, where it is going, and the various components (represented by the various lines and trigrams within the hexagram) that make it up. As we gain insight into the interdependence of all these factors, wisdom to manage our life well begin to arise spontaneously. The complexity of all the factors in the I Ching actually lead to simplicity in the individual. I would consider the knowledge contained within Hua Ching Ni's 200 page preface to be essential to any dedicated practitioner of the Tao (not that it is only place to get it, but it is direct, succinct, and easily available there if you can work with technical presentations).

After the basic energy combinations/movements are presented he moves through the way the way they move through nature, the spiritual significance of the sky, energy movement applied to human life, the spiritual truth in the otherworld, and guidance on living daily with in accordance with the natural truth. These sections are all very in depth, not just an introduction. After all this he explains how the I Ching is built, how the energy moves b/w lines, building trigrams, and eventually hexagrams. How to actually access the knowledge of the Tao through divination and harmonize with it...

The point being that the structure is given so that one can read the I-Ching based on inner wisdom. There are also traditional commentaries, commentaries by Mr. Ni, and poetic interpretations that help one to understand the vast complexities of how energy moves. This way you have the tools to access your own wisdom.... as well as access to the influence of those already highly developed.

Sorry it was so long... Enjoy!

Wonderful Book :D couldn't help myself

• Like 1

Yi Jing in China AKA I Ching in the west - both mean Sun and Moon or enlightenment - also known as Ba Gua or Language of 8 in China. (Bah = 8) (gua = language)

The reality is found in the Language of China.

It will do you some good to do the research and find out for yourself.

Sign in to follow this