rene

Is your Method really working?

On 11/25/2010 at 10:34 AM, rene said:

So you are hungry not for wisdom but for knowledge! What a pity! Wisdom is almost as satisfying as good millet-gruel, whereas knowledge has less body to it than tepid water poured over old tea-leaves; but if that is the fare you have come for, I can give you as much as your mistreated belly will hold.

Sarcasm, old school! :)

I gotta get a copy of that book. Amazon lists it for only $79 used with markings in the margins or $400 like-new. Oh, boy...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

Sarcasm, old school! :)

I gotta get a copy of that book. Amazon lists it for only $79 used with markings in the margins or $400 like-new. Oh, boy...

The section in this thread is from Ch11, the first 10 are wonderful. Loaded with the essence of Taoist magic (not a 'how-to' manual) but the feel of it, taoist spirits, and much much more. It really conveys the underlying, imo...when read in a receptive manner; if you know what I mean. 🦋

• Like 4

Thank you, Rene, it was sweet and funny about the fish.  :wub:

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2010 at 8:00 PM, RyanO said:

This kind of reminds me of how enthralled I was by J. Krishnamurti. He argued against reliance on techniques and recommended no practice but choiceless awareness.

But then I have to wonder: What does this sage's day look like? What does he practice?

It's all well and good to talk about the method of no-method, and the realization of our intrinsic connection to the Tao. But surely there is also a place for methods and practices? And that Buddhist and Taoists practices might differ in a significant way and lead to different results?

For instance, Krishnamurti practiced hatha yoga for hours everyday. He never talked about it in his lectures, but it was an integral part of his practice.

I think it's a little patronizing to tell someone that methods are silly and then go and practice meditation or yoga without mentioning their importance.

Still, I do resonate with the philosophy that by practicing methods you are not becoming more perfect or divine in the eyes of the Tao, you're just achieving harmony with something that is already there. But methods are important and worthy of investigation.

Yes, I see your point. Perhaps the methods are really down to interest and what is useful to one's own circumstances?

For example, I don't believe that I will become any closer to the Tao from practicing Tai Chi or Yoga, but I do know that it will iron me out from all the sitting at a desk.

Lao-weng's lifestyle is far different, being a recluse. I remember seeing a video on the Bee-Taoist who simply just eats, looks at his favourite mountain views, and not much else.

So I think the environment that you put yourself may determine what needs to be done, but believing that they will take you to a higher place is the misunderstanding.

• Like 1

On 25/11/2010 at 8:00 PM, RyanO said:

For instance, Krishnamurti practiced hatha yoga for hours everyday.

Did he ?