surfingbudda

Taoism Vs Buddhism

Interesting as Tao led me to Buddhism just over a year ago. And the more I think about this, the more I see similarities due to one conclusion...

Β 

And that is there is so many schools of Buddhism teaching different things, so how can we ask such a question?!

Β 

But if you take the straight philosophies to Lao Tzu and Guatama Budda, then both are just tales of a man's exploration and findings. True, philosophies differ at their cores (see vinegar tasters painting) but the way I see it is the moment you buy into any sort of dogma, from either philosophy or religion, immediately there will be more and more differences with others.

Β 

I don't care much for a label, because if I say I'm Taoist or Buddhist in conversation with someone, that immediately prompts further connotations or suggestions of a belief system. People may assume that I'm an anarchist, or that I believe that if someone is bad, they will be an insect in their next life etc etc. But really, the philosophies are designed to send us on our own way and to find truth for ourselves, no matter what the "religions" say.

Β 

At the end of the day, there is only us having this unique experience...so really, we shouldn't get caught up in similarities or differences...because once we have made our choice to soul-search or what have you, then we shouldn't really need to hold a firm belief, right?

• Like 1

More and more it seems to me that Taoism and Buddhism are doing and saying the same thing, just using different terminology.

• Like 1

More and more it seems to me that Taoism and Buddhism are doing and saying the same thing, just using different terminology.

Yep. That is truer than most would admit. When we try to get technical we throw the whole comparison out of shape.

Interesting as Tao led me to Buddhism just over a year ago. And the more I think about this, the more I see similarities due to one conclusion...

Β 

And that is there is so many schools of Buddhism teaching different things, so how can we ask such a question?!

Β 

But if you take the straight philosophies to Lao Tzu and Guatama Budda, then both are just tales of a man's exploration and findings. True, philosophies differ at their cores (see vinegar tasters painting) but the way I see it is the moment you buy into any sort of dogma, from either philosophy or religion, immediately there will be more and more differences with others.

Β 

I don't care much for a label, because if I say I'm Taoist or Buddhist in conversation with someone, that immediately prompts further connotations or suggestions of a belief system. People may assume that I'm an anarchist, or that I believe that if someone is bad, they will be an insect in their next life etc etc. But really, the philosophies are designed to send us on our own way and to find truth for ourselves, no matter what the "religions" say.

Β 

At the end of the day, there is only us having this unique experience...so really, we shouldn't get caught up in similarities or differences...because once we have made our choice to soul-search or what have you, then we shouldn't really need to hold a firm belief, right?

Β 

I agree with a lot of your points, but for the vinegar tasting painting. That is a relative expression of how people view the teachings of the 3 sages,it isn't touching on the core of the teachings at all, only the expedients used to point to the true mind.

The painting fails to point directly to the non-discriminating mind, and only emphasizes the expedients used to break through the discriminating mind. Unfortunately, even that is misunderstood.

Yep. That is truer than most would admit. When we try to get technical we throw the whole comparison out of shape.

Β 

It is because nobody really knows the difference even though there is a difference.

Edited by ChiDragon

Β 

It is because nobody really knows the difference even though there is a difference.

Β 

The difference is in the end stages, as well as the beginning intentions.

Β 

Brief example:

Β 

In Buddhist cultivation, there is no worrying about this and that energy. It becomes known that the energy will cultivate

to its high potential on its own given that the mind is cultivated accordingly. Hence, if done wholeheartedly, one attains the fruit of Bodhi, jumps off the wheel (attaining immortality)and completing their unsurpassed realization of wisdom. Thus, the process, for some, will be faster than the Daoist cultivation methods.

Β 

In Daoism, if the teachings of putting down the inner dialogue, ending discriminating thinking, is taught in

the beginning, then the cultivator will find himself "attaining"results faster than those who were just taught other methods first,l like the various qigong practices. Also, in Daoism, most assume that feeling the energy, attaining some type of power is a marker for progress. Most times than not, the seeking of a sensation, state and or ability overtakes the real purpose for cultivation, and leaves the cultivator chasing, and creating more views about how things are. This, in Buddhist cultivation, is not a focal point, and in the manner of attaining powers, etc, it is known as an inevitable outcome to applied concentration, and an outcome of opening up to inherent wisdom.

Β 

There is more to compare. There is the total misunderstanding of indulging in one's emotional desires in the "New" Daoism, letting one's urges, without hindrance, do as they please. In the "new" Daoism, people seem to think that controlling the emotions and mind is not natural; that letting things just be as they are experienced is the natural way.In truth, it is not. The experiences that seem to just be, are caused by the mind and attachments to views, hence, even the experience is not real.

Β 

Buddhism and Daoism both cultivate the way. Both have cultivators falsely assuming powers mean wisdom, or sagehood.

Β 

There is one "Way". That one "Way" is the world without views, attachments. It is the way of the overall essence of all things, the thus nature of all things. It is not a "manner"of living, it is not a "manner of practice"in which the thing you do means you are cultivating for the attainment of the "Way".

Β 

Β 

Some assume just because they practice a set of breathing exercises, that they are Daoist. Some think just because they read a Sutra, they are Buddhist.

Β 

Many fail to realize that energy and mind are of the same source, and are the same thing. Both are on the relative realm. Light, energy and all that "energy work"talk is just more relative thinking, false thinking, and only superficially touching the surface.

Β 

What is the lifestyle of the Cultivator of the Way? One who adheres to the methods which liberate them self from false thinking, false views, and grasping. One who adheres to the method (Way) of practice which results in the realization of their true mind, wisdom.

Β 

Not every Cultivator of the Way is correct just because they are either left home, and or practicing a Qigong. Not every Cultivator of the Way follows the same practices in order to attain the fruit of their practice. Not every Cultivator of the Way actually cultivates for the wholesome paths that result in attaining wholesome results.

Β 

When putting both Buddhist and Daoist practices together, they fit very very well. In Daoism, after attaining a lifespan of 10,000yrs, seen as immortality, one may not wish to continue cultivation, and live on their blessings of practice. In time, it will waste away, and they will be reincarnated, or karmically create another body according to the vibration of their mind. If they continue cultivating, because they realize they still have a view of a self, and attachments to a personality, they will find the teaching that result in the putting down of false views, and purification of karma. Resulting in realizing Buddhahood, the immortal attains true immortality, and wisdom unsurpassed.

Β 

On Earth, there is too much identification on which method is more superior, and less focus on actually breaking through the facade of the expedient, and attaining realization.

Β 

On higher realms, the terms and ideas we hold of Daoism and Buddhism, don't exist. It is as though those out there in the higher, more cultivated/refined realms laugh at how us humans can't grasp the fundamental principle of what an expedient is, and thus wait till we get it one day. When we, if we, end up in those higher realms, those views we held about which is better, which is proper, etc, will have no ground, simply because the view is false.

Β 

Its not about which one is better, or correct, its all about actually finding out if the method is resonant with your mind, and then actually practicing it till the day you die.

Β 

Grasping for powers, sensations, states over the actual true mind is just more false thinking and attachment. It would be better to actually be able to come and go as we please first, then do all the extra stuff.

Β 

Its likened to people buying a beat up used car, and putting a really nice sounding stereo system in it. They drive around as though they are the greatest thing since sliced bread, but in truth, its still a crappy car that's not worth more than the stereo system.

Β 

People treat their lives like this in cultivation. The body is still turbid, the mind is still deluded, and they put on fancy clothes to practice a method of energy cultivation, whether it be anything in the coined term Qigong, or even in Buddhist recitation practices.

Β 

They may look good on the outside, but in truth, they are not getting anywhere.

Β 

You all could say I am wrong, and bring up historical writings, but that still won't change the fact that in the end, none of these comparisons will mean anything. It will all come down to putting down false views, and refining(purifying) the mind. All the worries about this yang qi and that yin qi, this meridian, and that pressure point, this chakra and that kundalini will mean absolutely nothing.

Β 

Β 

Peace and Blessings.

Namo Yin Tuo La Ye!

Β 

Β 

Β 

Lin

Β 

P.S.: Yin Tuo La Ye means: Lord Shakra, The Jade Emperor, who is also a Dharma Protector, and the Judeo-Christian God, G-D, and Lord Allah Blessed Be.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 5

Β 

I think it is a natural tendency of the human mind to amplify the differences rather than concentrate on the similarities. Doesn't matter if we really don't understand these differences, we just pretend we do.

• Like 2

I think it is a natural tendency of the human mind to amplify the differences rather than concentrate on the similarities. Doesn't matter if we really don't understand these differences, we just pretend we do.

Β 

No one will ever known the difference, do we....??? We just talk about it but don't care what it is. WOW. Nice open discussion without reaching a conclusion. Is this just how all the members of TTB handles all matters in such manner for enlightenment and wisdom...???