onlyindreams

The Way of the Warrior

Impossible, I posted them up a few minutes ago lol. READ don't skim!

Please don't speculate about such matters, i did read them, there were 25 minites between you posting and mine.. they are piece-meal conjurings of people with agendas, and no objectivity is noted.. c'mon, look at those articles again, they are trying to create an image that isn't actually there.. let go of your own desire that it mean something that it doesn't..

Be well..

This is how it often goes at websites, and similar or far worse internal conflicts can also be expected among members of military institutions. (excepting that open debate or arguments with those of higher rank are seldom or never tolerated in certain situations; hello brig goodbye off-duty)

Greetings..

Humble apologies for my tardy response acknowledging the clarity of Stigweard's post.. very nicely articulated, and seasoned with the insight of someone that has made the journey..

Be well..

Greetings..

Humble apologies for my tardy response acknowledging the clarity of Stigweard's post.. very nicely articulated, and seasoned with the insight of someone that has made the journey..

Be well..

Correction ... is making the journey ... I am not "there" yet. I still struggle every day with the causes of my own inertia. Thanks though.

:D

Please don't speculate about such matters, i did read them, there were 25 minites between you posting and mine.. they are piece-meal conjurings of people with agendas, and no objectivity is noted.. c'mon, look at those articles again, they are trying to create an image that isn't actually there.. let go of your own desire that it mean something that it doesn't..

Be well..

The way you read my first post? :lol:

If you really feel like you have a clear grasp on anything, read your response to my first post, then read my actual post. They are almost entirely unrelated. You come to false conclusions before even getting the slightest grasp on what was said.

In other words you a very very reactionary.

If you like I will go through each section of your first reply to my first post to demonstrate your inability to think clearly but I feel that would be a bit cruel.

Maybe just slow down and really try to understand what others are actually saying.

Hi Marble. There are so many things I would like to say, I would rather meet you. even though we do not see 'eye to eye' on some Issues you are a Intelligent debater and I find you Interesting to say the least... :)

"I would like to suggest that your beliefs on this subject may well be misguided. Bin Laden created the current form of terrorism based on the terrorism practiced by Hezbollah. That is, the intentional killing of women and children and being too much of a coward to face your enemy in person"

You May say I am misguided, and from your conservative perspective I am not surprised, yet there is plenty of Evidence tying the bush government to 9.11. Have you seen Doco's showing Osamas face next to the other Osama Face?

The Osama you see after 9.11 is not the Osama from before. they actually look 'quite' different. In nose, cheekbones structure, skin colouring. It Is very easy to call this naive wooly headed thinking, but to see their pics with your own eyes is very compelling. Even funnier is that Osamas son is on you tube saying the man in post 9.11 screenings is not his dad.

I Think here is a case where you are misguided be the official story: America the Good, destroys Evil Terroists! Its really as black and white as it Sounds!

No, I will suggest that most terrorists are doped up on drugs and lies of 47 virigns if they give their life for the cause. Most of them don't even know what the cause is because all they can think about are the 47 virgins.

And what does America have to do with all the murder and slaughter the terrorists are involved in in Africa? Can you explain that? Of course you can't. No ne can except to say that the terrorists are out to kill anyone who does not believe the same way they do. They just want to kill people so they can have their 47 virgins.

This is just not true. I have read the psychological profiles of many terrorists.

Most have suffered terribly, had Family members blown to bits and really do not have much else to live for. Being Offered a bunch of Virgins is Icing on a horrible cake.

I feel that here you are falling prey to a typical Right wing tactic of trying to make everything black and white to justify your perspective.

If terrorists are purely Evil, and America is Purely Good, and merely defending its pristine Moral Self, then how can you feel bad about mass Slaughter? Its not Murder its Justice prevailing!

This is a typical De Humanise the enemy tactic, and I am frankly a bit saddened to see you using it.

"I think you are concentrating too much on America's role in this. The problem is a world problem. The terrorists are active not only in the Middle East but in Europe, Asia, Africa and elsewhere."

Sure America Rallies all the other greed merchants to its/their cause but Its the top Dog, so It needs the primary Focus

And an Aussie has no right to compalin about what Americans have and are doing considering all the destruction they have undertaken in Australia. They have intentionally killed entire races of people who lived on those islands. And they took everything the Aboriginals had. Same on you folks!

:D Really? I thought you stood for freedom of speech? But do not worry, I am equally 'noisy' about home Issues... lol

But it is true. Osama bin Laden made that statement to the world. He is out to destroy anyone who does not accept his version of Islam.

Not Osama, American Fake...

You really do need to understand the underlying roots behind what is going on. Remember, it is they who are throwing acid in the faces of young girls for no other reason than that they are going to school and trying to get an education. How evil is that?

No, they don't want anyone to get educated. They want everyone to be just as ignorant as they are and belive only what they believe.

That is not necessarily Terrorists, That is a Very nasty social problem at the root of many Islamic countrys and also happens in India. Its a Womans rights Issue. In most of those countrys Women have very few rights, and in some places are considered to not even have a Soul. This means acid burning them is not really that bad. Its a terrible situation that will take Internal activism, social awareness campaigns, and diplomatic political pressure to change. Rolling tanks in will only kill many men and also many of the women they are 'allegedly' there to save...

There are many people who have killed for whatever the reason and continue to live in peace with themselves because they know they did what needed to be done. That too is called karma if you believe in the concept of karma.

I am Glad that people can move on from their previous actions

Yes, it is okay to protect yourself. It is okay to kill (if necessary) someone who is wanting to kill you. You cannot tell me that you would just stand tall and proud and let some scumbag start carving on your body with a razor. No, you would defend yourself or at least try to run away.

Absoluty. Iraq is not this situation.

No one person needs to justify their being their in the first place. They are there because they were placed on orders to serve a tour in that part of the world. That's military service.

Yes they do. Nazi's were held accountable for 'just following orders' by the west.

If you join an army that may send you to do Injustice you are morally accountable.

Personally, I would rather fight them over there than wait until they come here and I have to fight them. More of my loved ones would probably die if the fighting were being conducted in my part of the world.

In rare circumstances this may be necessary, but we are killing their Innocent as well. And thus the cycle continues. That will just help the making of new terroists. Its Impossible to Kill all the Bad guys, as the killing will anger others, who will then become the Bad guys. But many of them are not really Bad.

This is the trap of black and white conservative thinking. It thinks the war will be won.

Us Good, Them Bad, We Kill them, now everything done and good. Hooray!

Unfortunately It never goes like this. look at the hilarious War on drugs. Look at Vietnam. Terroism numbers have only Increased since the occupation. There is something very Taoist about this... a yin yang thing...

"Do you know how many Aussies were killed in the 9/11 attacks? You do know that there were people from many countries who were killed then, don't you? Some of them were Moslims. The terrorists didn't care who they were killing. They just wanted to kill people. Our forces are simply trying to stop them from killing more innocent people."

You didn't answer my question. And your reply is not valid. American government does care who its military is killing. We are not bombing Berlin or London.

As I said, American Gov attack against its own people... And sure, I believe there are many people within the Government anywhere that do care and are good.

Military targets are generally very carefully selected. One major consideration is to minimize civilian (or non-combatants) casualities. This is an important consideration. And this is not true for the terrorists. In fact, their primary targets have always been against defenseless civilians; women and children. They are too cowardly to step up against anyone their equal.

Yes/No. Terrorists have learnt well. It works for them to put their operation room in a school, so that when we missile them there will be a lot of civilian casualties. Keeps the anger up, keeps the new members flowing in. All that will be remembered is that it was an American Missile. Very clever and very sad.

And America is far from their Equal. What crazy person with an AK will front up to the awesome fire power of the U.S. army?

So they do not really have many other options. Their rational is you kill our women and children, so we will keep killing yours, till you leave.

I find this Horrible, and If my daughter was killed in an attack I would be filled with murderous rage, yet my country is there killing their sons and daughters, so in a way we brought it on ourselves. Are not two little girls equal in value? even if one is Arab? Will their parents not grieve equally as hard, feel the same murderous rage and wish too for vengeance?

No one wants Karma when it arrives.

Thanks for your time ;)

Seth.

Hey, I enjoy speaking to subjects such as this.

And I have no problem with pacifists. But they should remember that it is the spilt blood of those who defend freedom who have made it possible for them to be able to live what they believe in.

I am not a pacifist. :)

Nothing is free. Someone has to or already has paid for that freedom.

Yes. Blessings my Friend.

The way you read my first post? :lol:

If you really feel like you have a clear grasp on anything, read your response to my first post, then read my actual post. They are almost entirely unrelated. You come to false conclusions before even getting the slightest grasp on what was said.

In other words you a very very reactionary.

If you like I will go through each section of your first reply to my first post to demonstrate your inability to think clearly but I feel that would be a bit cruel.

Maybe just slow down and really try to understand what others are actually saying.

Get started Seth.. no more unverified propoganda, no more "cruel" cheap shots, though that is your 'stock-in-trade'.. back-up your claims with vetted facts and verifiable citations, i'll do the same..

Be well..

Respek! [bows] {lol maybe a salute would be better?}

Lets get off this rant and get back on thread...

Give us some Inspiration on The way of the Warrior. :)

Blessings.

Seth.

Agree. A return salute to you. I am impressed that you were able to discuss this emotional topic without getting personal with it. I think this is very important and valuable when discussing any abstract topic.

Yes, Let us return to the topic of this thread - The Way of the Warrior.

I think Stig's first post to this thread is an excellent base from which to discuss this concept.

His post:

In my mind at least, I draw a distinction between a fighter or soldier and a Warrior. Though being a fighter or soldier can certainly be a pathway to becoming a Warrior, they certainly aren't the only pathways.

To me the true Warrior has only one concern ... freedom. And they will struggle until their dying breath for it's attainment.

But freedom for what and from what?

A Warrior's life is an incessant battle for self-sovereignty, self-independence, and the freedom of awareness. They fight for the freedom to stand as the being of their own choosing and to view the world with an unfettered awareness. They fight for the freedom of being a whole being; to fulfill the absolute potential of the human experience and engage the entire spectrum of possible human awareness.

And in that battle they have only one real adversary: the snares, chains and locked cages of social conditioning. The parental voices, the manipulations of siblings and friends, the contrivances of teachers and those who assume authority, and the mind-numbing intestinal gurgling of the very culture in which we live. All of these forces weave a harpy-song of "false self" around us; an illusion that distorts and separates us from who we are, making us believe these thoughts are our own, that they are who we are, and forces us to subscribe to a false view the world.

Yes, there is a great difference between a soldier and a warrior.

A soldier is an element of a military machine. That is all.

A warrior is a person who is on a path of freedom and free choice. Stig expounded on this very well.

Sure, a warrior may be called to battle. But his path remains the same. No conditions of the external effect his journey because it can be followed anywhere and under any circumstances.

I looked for that post (I think it was Stig's) where warriors of a different kind was mentioned. This is a beautiful concept that I think is worthy of discussion. For example, I think that Sister Theresa was an admirable warrior, fighting a war of a different kind.

How about the Warrior of the Palace Gardens? The one who makes it his purpose in life to insure everything is as it should be (based on someone's criteria, perhaps his own).

Correction ... is making the journey ... I am not "there" yet. I still struggle every day with the causes of my own inertia. Thanks though.

Agreed, i deeply appreciate the absence of a 'destination'.. the image of the 'Wandering Taoist' has a freshness to it.. when i think of modern warriors, Hatsumi Sensei comes to mind.. i have had the great good fortune to train with him, he and his senior students are extra-ordinary people.. ruthlessly generous and benevolent as the situation inspires them..

Be well..

I am a Hatsumi Sensai fan as well, and the Wandering Taoist is probably one of the most appealing archetypes I know of :)

I am suprised no one has brought up Bruce Lee's sayings... what was it... [correct me if wrong]

Take No way as way

absorb what is usefull

discard the traditional mess

Something like that...

I am suprised no one has brought up Bruce Lee's sayings... what was it... [correct me if wrong]

Although I respect what Bruce accomplished during his lifetime I don't normally quote others unless it is for the purpose of supporting something I have said.

I just let my mouth run whichever direction my brain sends it.

Who do people think are the modern Exemplars of a Spiritual Warrior?

I would Have to Include HH Dalai Lama in there even though he is not a martial artist.

Mickhail Ryabko jumps to mind for the European region... He is christian and the systema Guru, and an embodyment of soft power...

The military is no different than a small community police force that enforces the local, state, and national laws. The code "To serve and protect" applies to all police functions whether they be at a local level or at a national (on world as with the UN) level.

Without the warrior there would be no peace. History has proven this to be true.

Peace? What have the warriors brought of us peace? Armies create a cycle of violence. There were factions waging war for centuries in Europe until they finally took sides in an epic conflict known as WWI. The victors took the spoils of war and forced Germany into a humiliating position until nationalism took hold and gave rise to WWII. The victors again squared off to take the spoils of war, and we ended up in the cold war. We funded insurgencies in Afghanistan against the Russians that gave us modern-day Al Qaeda. We sponsored the Iranian Shah, and then the Iraqis against the new Islamic Republic of Iran when the dictator we propped up failed, and the "oops" maybe we should have done that so lets invade Iraq. We know how that worked out. Of course, the violence seeps out like an infection that spreads. Now that we've invaded Iraq, there are people in Yemen angry so lets go bomb them. This provides Al Qaeda with great recruitment opportunities, and they have more popular support than ever. We're now seeing in the bombs on the UPS planes the fruits of our actions in Yemen.

Of course, sometimes there are people powerful enough to break the cycles. If you had told someone a hundred years ago that India would be in the state that it is today, they would have laughed at you. They would have told you that India could never succeed the way it has without the colonial armies unifying it. And then along came Gandhi. He said there was a better way than bloody revolution to build a state, that it could be done peacefully. Today, India is not perfect, but it is a model for what can be accomplished without guns or bombs.

If you want to join the military, it's your decision, but there is no peace to be had at the barrel of a gun. Our actions are killing civilians, radicalizing the Muslim world against us, and creating more cycles of violence that will repeat over and over and over.

• Like 1

OK let's keep the discussion pointing in a direction ;)

First let us reemphasize that a Warrior is not necessarily a fighter or a soldier, i.e. someone whose main focus is the engagement of violent, physical conflict whether armed or unarmed.

Let us, for the purpose of this discussion, say that a true Warrior is someone who has honed their being to the finest state of human impeccability. And, as I said in my earlier post:

The true Warrior has only one concern ... freedom. And they will struggle until their dying breath for it's attainment.

But freedom for what and from what?

A Warrior's life is an incessant battle for self-sovereignty, self-independence, and the freedom of awareness. They fight for the freedom to stand as the being of their own choosing and to view the world with an unfettered awareness. They fight for the freedom of being a whole being; to fulfill the absolute potential of the human experience and engage the entire spectrum of possible human awareness.

And in that battle they have only one real adversary: the snares, chains and locked cages of social conditioning. The parental voices, the manipulations of siblings and friends, the contrivances of teachers and those who assume authority, and the mind-numbing intestinal gurgling of the very culture in which we live. All of these forces weave a harpy-song of "false self" around us; an illusion that distorts and separates us from who we are, making us believe these thoughts are our own, that they are who we are, and forces us to subscribe to a false view the world.

So let's journey together for awhile on the Warrior's Path.

As I said above, the Warrior recognizes that the only true adversary is sum contents of their own social conditioning, and the disentanglement of these shackles is the pathway to a Warrior's freedom. When we examine carefully the conglomerate mess of our own individual social conditioning we realize that it's all based on descriptions and explanations, all of which make up our individual view of the world.

And so one of the first steps a Warrior must make is to take inventory of the words and descriptions they use and acknowledge that these descriptions are not really who they are nor how the world really is.

But the Warrior needs an edge in the fight for their freedom. The drug-like myopia of social conditioning dulls the senses and imposes an almost semi-comatosed reality. Most people in our society could certainly be classified as the "living dead".

And it is in fact death that the Warrior embraces as the hot coal in the forge that quickens their spirit. For the reality is that death could take each and every one of us in this very moment. Death is the ultimate leveller of people -- it regards everyone equally and will take the rich just as quickly and as heartlessly as it takes the poor.

The Warrior embraces death as their teacher and so, almost as a mantra, the Warrior asks of themselves, "Death could take me this moment -- in this moment am I living to the fullest? Am I being impeccable?"

Impeccability to a Warrior means that they are acting to the best of their knowledge and power. To do anything else is to die with regret and regret has no place on the Warrior's Path.

OK let's keep the discussion pointing in a direction ;)

Thank you.

Truly, this is the kind of writing I was hoping to see more of.

"The true warrior has only one concern... freedom."

Succinctly and well said.

"When we examine carefully the conglomerate mess of our own individual social conditioning we realize that it's all based on descriptions and explanations, all of which make up our individual view of the world."

So part of the path would be to identify any abstract knowledge, the ego that arises from the knowledge, the thoughts that arise from the ego, and the spoken words that arise from the thoughts in each and every instant that it appears in our experience.

Going along with that train of thought, I intuit the necessity of silence / solitude / stillness and the development and continual cultivation of those prerequisites as another key 'facet' of the path.

"But the Warrior needs an edge in the fight for their freedom."

Elaborate on this 'edge'

How does one cultivate this 'edge'? How does one invoke it? How does one strengthen it (if that is possible?).

I imagine a sense of austerity, simplicity, and self - honesty is crucial to cultivating this edge (which I think is the ability to remain on the cusp of the present moment at all times...)

"And it is in fact death that the Warrior embraces as the branding-iron that quickens their spirit. For the reality is that death could take each and every one of us in this very moment. Death is the ultimate leveller of people -- it regards everyone equally and will take the rich just as quickly and as heartlessly as it takes the poor."

This paragraph resonates with me as I spent part of my day reading Book 5 of 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius.

Aurelius truly embodies the warrior mindset that you describe here. Anyone who has or will read the book will know exactly what I speak of.

"The Warrior embraces death as their teacher and so, almost as a mantra, the Warrior asks of themselves, "Death could take me this moment -- in this moment am I living to the fullest? Am I being impeccable?"

Impeccability to a Warrior means that they are acting to the best of their knowledge and power. To do anything else is to die with regret and regret has no place on the Warrior's Path."

I've got a .doc called 'taobums wisdom' that is a compilation of (what I believe to be) genuine wisdom from the posts on Tao Bums. I read over it frequently when the urge arises. The last two paragraphs of your post have been added to it.

Thank you for taking the time to collect and share your thoughts.

Who do people think are the modern Exemplars of a Spiritual Warrior?

I would Have to Include HH Dalai Lama in there even though he is not a martial artist.

Mickhail Ryabko jumps to mind for the European region... He is christian and the systema Guru, and an embodyment of soft power...

One of the hallmarks of SW-ship, in my understanding, is the ability to acknowledge one's limitations with a kind of relentless honesty, and then use this knowledge as a guide on one's way. Once this knowing is in place, there is no room for self-deception, and we all can identify how anti-growth self-deception can be. If one can be brutally honest that one is a fool, and learn to fully accept that, then this in itself is potentially the key to wisdom. Its when fools pretend not to see their foolishness, or act as if they are anything but, and in the process live a life that constantly demands them to upkeep this illusion, that's when obstacles begin compounding, until such time when/if situations begin to ask for honest appraisal of oneself, suddenly one is hit with the realization that one no longer knows where or how the mess began in the first place. The unravelling process then requires so much more effort. So at the very start, its good to cultivate this as a foundation - having done so, a lot of grief can be prevented.

This may sound a bit crazy, but i think Homer Simpson is a good example of one who fully accepts that he is a fool. Not saying that he is a spiritual warrior by default, but someone like him has a much greater chance of excelling at it if he happens to choose this particular calling. Once in awhile, he displays a kind of brilliance that is second to none ;). Another fictional character who would make a great spiritual warrior, in my opinion, is Pooh. Or Charlie Brown...

On a more realistic level...

Its easy to think of SWship in terms of people who are in the 'spiritual' spotlight often, but often again, there are many individuals who are just as 'spiritually' tough without being conventionally associated with mainstream spiritualism as such - these remarkable individuals have not claimed to be anything other than one who has the will to stand up for what they believe to be the righteous truth, and does so without resorting to any forms of violence, be it physical or otherwise, in defense of their principles and values. Someone mentioned Gandhi, who, in my mind, is a prime example. What about Mandela? Or Aung San Suu Kyi?

Naturally, these are all hi-profile people cited here; oftentimes, when we look around us, there are many ordinary folks who can also be seen to display all these same extraordinary qualities, and they can be found in any calling. Common people, who choose to act righteously in the face of impossible odds, and then simply go about their way without making any fuss about it... such self-effacing demeanor is mostly what makes them anything but common.

Peace?

Hi Simply Puzzled,

According to my understanding everything you said is true. I cannot argue against it.

But as you pointed out, there need be a leader who will take the people down the road of peace instead of down the road of war. Where is that leader now? He/she cannot be found. Therefore the leaders who prefer war over peace are leading the people.

As I have stated before, as long as there are people who would take or destroy what others have there must be some form of defense. Most people are unable to defend themselves against a well-armed evil-doer therefore there are police and military forces.

I will not attempt to justify the wrong-doings (IMO) of my government and its politicians. Wrong is wrong no matter who is doing it.

But I will defend my country and its way of life even if I disagree with many things that the various politicians do.

I do not allow people to steal from me. I think that everyone should feel this way. Who is there to protect those who cannot protect themselves? The police and military, of course.

Sure, a utopia world would be great. But that would require everyone to do the 'right thing'. This has never happened in the past and I don't expect it to happen in the near future.

The Warrior embraces death as their teacher and so, almost as a mantra, the Warrior asks of themselves, "Death could take me this moment -- in this moment am I living to the fullest? Am I being impeccable?"

Impeccability to a Warrior means that they are acting to the best of their knowledge and power. To do anything else is to die with regret and regret has no place on the Warrior's Path.

What a beautiful summing up of the concept!

For much of my life I have suggested that if a thing is worth doing we should attempt to do our very best at doing it. Sure, sometimes we fail. Big deal. A warrior can live with failure just as easily as he/she can live with success. It is the doing and following one's path as truely as possible that really matters. This will bring inner peace & contentment.

One of the hallmarks of SW-ship, in my understanding, is the ability to acknowledge one's limitations with a kind of relentless honesty, and then use this knowledge as a guide on one's way. Once this knowing is in place, there is no room for self-deception, and we all can identify how anti-growth self-deception can be. If one can be brutally honest that one is a fool, and learn to fully accept that, then this in itself is potentially the key to wisdom. Its when fools pretend not to see their foolishness, or act as if they are anything but, and in the process live a life that constantly demands them to upkeep this illusion, that's when obstacles begin compounding, until such time when/if situations begin to ask for honest appraisal of oneself, suddenly one is hit with the realization that one no longer knows where or how the mess began in the first place. The unravelling process then requires so much more effort. So at the very start, its good to cultivate this as a foundation - having done so, a lot of grief can be prevented.

Its easy to think of SWship in terms of people who are in the 'spiritual' spotlight often, but often again, there are many individuals who are just as 'spiritually' tough without being conventionally associated with mainstream spiritualism as such - these remarkable individuals have not claimed to be anything other than one who has the will to stand up for what they believe to be the righteous truth, and does so without resorting to any forms of violence, be it physical or otherwise, in defense of their principles and values.

... there are many ordinary folks who can also be seen to display all these same extraordinary qualities, and they can be found in any calling. Common people, who choose to act righteously in the face of impossible odds, and then simply go about their way without making any fuss about it... such self-effacing demeanor is mostly what makes them anything but common.

Such a beautiful train of thought! Thanks for sharing in this discussion.

A "warrior" can have the will to surrender their will. (to the greater power) Thus its not exactly that a warrior has or owns the power for themselves but that the power and truth has them.

Also a saying from chapter 13 of the TTC:

"...Hence, only he who is willing to give his body for the sake of the world is fit to be entrusted with the world. Only he who can do it with love is worthy of being the steward of the world.

Om

"...Hence, only he who is willing to give his body for the sake of the world is fit to be entrusted with the world."

Om

Yep. That would be a warrior.

For me a spiritual warrior would be this guy

Captain Paul Watson from Sea Shepherd

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society operates internationally without prejudice towards race, color, nationality, religious belief, or any other consideration except for an impartial adherence to upholding international conservation law to protect endangered marine species and ecosystems.

Sea Shepherd operates outside the petty cultural chauvinism of the human species. Our clients are whales, dolphins, seals, turtles, sea-birds, and fish. We represent their interests.

Our volunteer crewmembers come from all over the world including from the nations that we are forced to oppose such as Japan, Norway, and Canada.

We are not anti-any nationality or culture. We are pro-Ocean and we work in the interests of all life on Earth. We only oppose criminals and criminal operations.

Because he has a strongly held belief, and is doing his utmost to manifest that belief in reality for the benefit of all.

71098_47886412552_74206_n.jpg