The Observer

Enlightenment and the Hermit

Here's a stream you might enjoy! WNCW Not everyone's cup of tea but some interesting stuff (most of the time...) Here's a program listing <click me>

Comes out of Isothermal Community College in downtown Spindale, NC (just down the mountain from here...)

Listening to it now. Some Alternative Country playing right now. Thanks for the link.

Peace & Love!

The idea of enlightenment is of no concern to a hermit.

Even those who spend most of their lives in retreats do not focus on enlightenment. They choose instead to live a life of clarity and non-harming, to themselves, to others and to the environment. In this way they return to total sanity, which some call Wholeness.

Those who are single and who opt for this way of living would find it less complicated to adapt to such a change than say 'householders', namely those with family ties, mundane responsibilities, and jobs for example. The demands on a householder requires that his/her priorities are set right. Look after all mundane affairs mindfully, and then when all is in order, the spiritual path would have no hindrances. There is a certain auspiciousness tied in to this common sense. Some of the contemplative traditions recommend this sort of practical approach to spiritual cultivation. I know Buddhism/Hinduism/Confucianism encourages this format.

My father is a Theravadin Buddhist. Born as one, and practiced as one. Daily meditations, surrender, devotion etc. Very devout. He was also a stockbroker for 35 years. One day he simply announced he was giving up the business and handing it over to my older brother, who is a qualified Accountant and working at that time as an Assistant Manager in a Financial Institution. He was given a six-month familiarization training, left his job and then assumed the role vacated by my father. He is still trading to date.

Since his retirement my father became a recluse. Totally. He gave up all his little pleasurable hobbies and pursuits, and tuned out of everyday life. He has stopped leaving the house, and almost ceased to even walk around in it, preferring to stay in his study and contemplate on the Dharma and do his prayers and meditation. My mother cooks his meals (one a day) and looks after his meager needs, like once a week on Saturdays he has to make an offering of sweet black sesame custard to the holy ones, so she makes sure this is done. Other than this he asks for nothing.

He is neither satisfied nor dissatisfied with his life as it is now. He is just present, as i can see it. He says he has fulfilled his responsibilities and no longer have any ties with society and owes nobody anything, hence there is little to obstruct the fulfillment of his final wish, which is to prepare himself for leaving with a clear, undistracted mind. I remember casually asking him once if enlightenment was his goal, he laughed, put his hand on shoulder, and said i am being very honorable (to him) to suggest that enlightenment is achievable. I wanted to hear more, to know what he meant, but was politely dismissed from the room.

Three days later i got a mail in the post. It was a blank card save for a picture of a pippala leaf (or Bodhi tree leaf) [like this http://www.enlightenedhorsemanship.net/tag/pipal-tree/ on the front. Opening it, the words inside said, "Enlightenment is for those who seek. Would it mean anything to you if there is no seeking?" It was from him. That was the only card he ever sent me. Of course there were birthday cards and all that, but they were always sent by mother. That particular day i felt very close to my father.

Such is a life of one.

:) (Thought it might be okay to share this story here.)

Inspiring story! I'd hope to retire in as graceful a manner as your father did.

Cool?

Lol!

No, just find joy in being challenged and finding a way out of the maze.

Or more like looking and not finding anything, but the point is always looking.

It gives me something to look forward too!

Thanks!

The thing is, finding a way out is difficult enough, so why make it even harder?

<highjack>

One of my personal favorites is "This Old Porch" on Sunday afternoons (East Coast time) but "Goin' Across the Mountain" and "Mountain Stage" are also good (albeit syndicated). "Mountain Mornings" is also excellent but 6-7 AM East Coast might not work so nicely for you... :)

Really no telling what you might hear during the "Music Mix" segments, though!

</highjack>

Yeah, finding a station that plays only what 'you' like all the time is prety hard.

I'm listening to some Mike Bloomfield blues right now anyhow.

I think we should give this thread back to the hermit so s/he can find enlightenment.

Peace & Love!

Heh :)

Feel welcome to add Bluegrass, Banjo and Blue Velvet to my music thread.

:)

Heh :)

Feel welcome to add Bluegrass, Banjo and Blue Velvet to my music thread.

:)

Blue Velvet is a really beautiful song. I'll look for a good DooWop version I can link to.

How's the hermit doing with his enlightenment?

Peace & Love!

In order for one to achieve spiritual transformation should one have to isolate himself from society at large or is it possible to attain enlightenment through daily practice (referring to meditation, mindfulness, compassion amongst other noble qualities) as a unit of society?

My feel is that what you are doing while you ponder such questions are the most important. They will probably give you the shot at knowing what to do anyway;

h

Guest paul walter

First recorded by Tony Bennett in 1951 and then again in 1955 by the Clovers. Beautiful song covered by many artists.

Peace & Love!

Yes, kind of misses the point of my reference (the film) but I suppose that was the point...

Well the issue of "balance" is mmore usually an issue of fear!. This society we are talking of is desperately out of balance, so what does one need top do in order to re-balance the scales? Why would someone wilingly come back to pollution, mental illness, cars, pressures of all kinds (most 'invisible') etc when there may be a chance of something 'better'? Just thoughts....

I definitely see what you saying.

I do tend to agree to disagree...

However, I guess it's for wanting both...

Where one can leave society and comeback whenever there is a need.

Who knows...

Thanks!

The thing is, finding a way out is difficult enough, so why make it even harder?

Good point...

I guess I am all for balance?

Walk the middle way, but at the same time, move from right to the left once in a while...

Yes, kind of misses the point of my reference (the film) but I suppose that was the point...

Yeah, wasn't sure if you were referring to the film or the song but since music is my first love I just assumed that you were talking about the song.

Peace & Love!

In order for one to achieve spiritual transformation should one have to isolate himself from society at large or is it possible to attain enlightenment through daily practice (referring to meditation, mindfulness, compassion amongst other noble qualities) as a unit of society?

It is better to isolate. Forget that relative and absolute bodhicitta

stuff. It is not a spiritual transformation, it is an actual physical

transformation.

It is better to isolate for safety reasons. There are issues with unseen

forces. Demons body switching in order to steal powers (check the Demon/Deva

Mara legends). Has a lot to do with kundalini and poisonings. BTW...there

are angels who practice this. Shakyamuni has a discourse on this.

Your shot group better be extremely tight in order to move forward

so that not theft occurs. I'm not playing.

My tailbone was cut off (PHYSICALLY)and fused so I can't even go

through stream entry again. I've been cut off from ever moving

forward. I can't even find the help to get it fixed and the help

that I can get is too low on her chain of command. Her chain of

command is too shaky.

Edited by lino

It is better to isolate. Forget that relative and absolute bodhicitta

stuff. It is not a spiritual transformation, it is an actual physical

transformation.

It is better to isolate for safety reasons. There are issues with unseen

forces. Demons body switching in order to steal powers (check the Demon/Deva

Mara legends). Shakyamuni has a discourse on this.

Your shot group better be extremely tight in order to move forward

so that not theft occurs. I'm not playing.

My tailbone was cut off (PHYSICALLY)and fused so I can't even go

through stream entry again. I've been cut off from ever moving

forward. I can't even find the help to get it fixed and the help

that I can get is too low on her chain of command. Her chain of

command is too shaky.

Do you need to move forward?

h

Do you need to move forward?

h

To prevent to be frequently stolen from. I'm post-vedic

and post-vedic people have a lot of curses put on them.

The Bible and Quran have a lot of the curses documented.

Post-vedic people have to check those documents just to

see what kind of reality they are in.

I can't even receive help so I'm stuck and theft is inevitable.

Edited by lino

To prevent to be frequently stolen from. I'm post-vedic

and post-vedic people have a lot of curses put on them.

The Bible and Quran have a lot of the curses documented.

Post-vedic people have to check those documents just to

see what kind of reality they are in.

I can't even receive help so I'm stuck and theft is inevitable.

If you are conscious of reading this, of being here, how can you be stuck?

h

If you are conscious of reading this, of being here, how can you be stuck?

h

I'm stuck because stream entry is a lot more important than people

think.

I'm stuck because stream entry is a lot more important than people

think.

Stream entry? I'm a living question mark...

You probably don't want to go through the whole thing, but could you atleast give me some links or pointers as to what this is?

h

You probably don't want to go through the whole thing, but could you atleast give me some links or pointers as to what this is?

h

Stream entry in Buddhism is a stage on the path to Arhatship, it means that one will not be reborn in three lower realms again. Who knows what it means to Lino though...

h

Stream entry is not what people think. It maybe an adaptation to a

hot environment. In the Buddhist symbology, there is a ship's steering

wheel on the kidney point of the foot. Jesus's stream entry was cut

by the stake on his feet and on the hands while on the cross.

The Ship's steering wheel is the representation of the Truth Chakra

or the Wheel of Dharma.

Stream entry serves too many purposes in the body.

I had to invest a lot of time in scripture.

I found out that it wasn't the End of Suffering that was

ojbective, it is the End of Poisonings collectively. The

poisonings for fear get so bad that it ruins the middle

of the brain.

Stream entry in Buddhism is a stage on the path to Arhatship, it means that one will not be reborn in three lower realms again. Who knows what it means to Lino though...

If a person is an arhat and is a first class asshole

they ain't going to be protected.

If a person is an arhat and is a first class asshole

they ain't going to be protected.

Not possible. Even a Sotapanna (1st stage) is assured of not falling into the 3 lower realms.