island

retribution

Slice the Pie

Serve the Dish

Manifest Great Deeds

Without Breaking the Rules

Thankyou for some wonderful replies. I do hope this thread continues so i can learn more?

:)

Thankyou for some wonderful replies. I do hope this thread continues so i can learn more?

:)

Well, I am still reading the thread to see if there is anything I can respond to. Yes, there have been some really nice posts to the thread.

Peace & Love!

'Those who wrongfully kill men are only putting their weapons into the hands of others who will in turn kill them.'

Taoism. Treatise on Response and Retribution.

So when is it morally just and right?

So when is it morally just and right?

What a question! When is it morally just and right to kill?

I will have to think on this a bit.

(Please remember that whatever reply I come up with will be based on the fact that I spent 20 years in the Army defending (Yeah, I know) my country.)

Peace & Love!

What a question! When is it morally just and right to kill?

I will have to think on this a bit.

(Please remember that whatever reply I come up with will be based on the fact that I spent 20 years in the Army defending (Yeah, I know) my country.)

Peace & Love!

LOL :D

Not for your country then?

Hehehe. Close.

Okay. Here are my thoughts.

To kill should always be a last resort. General statement.

Survival allows for killing. That is, as a last resort, to protect my own life, to kill anyone who is trying to kill me.

Protection of loved ones. If a loved one is in mortal danger then, as a last resort, to kill one who has put the loved one in mortal danger is acceptable.

As a warrior one is sworn to defeat the enemy. Again, this would be a last resort as well. If the enemy can be taken captive then that is better. However, there are military situations that do not allow for taking captives. There is no choice here but to kill the enemy.

Okay, to wars. Generally speaking, a soldier has a license to kill (the enemy). I did service in Vietnam. All the people who died in that war died for no valid reason. The same with the Gulf War and the two that are ongoing today. Stupid politics is the cause of all these wars. But still, the soldier must do his duty which is to accomplish his/her mission. An enemy (defined by the politicians) obstructing the mission must be removed with whatever means necessary.

So, basically, in almost every situation one could ever find oneself killing is always a last resort. Of course, murder (one's life is not in danger) is unacceptable.

And then there are the cases of civil capital punishment. That is determined by the various societies.

And so, after all the killing I wish you all:

Peace & Love!

As does does James Bond. :D

Yeah, that popped into my mind while I was typing that. Funny how associaions work in our brain.

Peace & Love!

What is the Taoist position on Moral retribution???

It appears paradoxical to me?

I don't know what the Taoist position is on moral retribution

but I figure that it has something to do with pragmatic

behaviors.