Gerard

El Cheapo tea challenge

Im drinking peppermint tea, its caffeine free and is very calming but also enhances focus too, taste great with some honey in it..

Indeed. :)

just for the record, since you brought it up, the company Mikaelz works for has a pu-erh with fairly strong notes of earl grey with bergamot. i enjoyed it quite a bit.

I'm 'workin' through some Gong Long Jing and Tiegguanyin wang<I don't do martial arts, but I drink teas that sound like them>, when I'm almost done I want to try some Pu-erh, bergamots notes are a nice bonus.

Chicago has relatively clean water, kinda tasty water. I use the cold tap water and let it run for 2 minutes.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Hundun, I love rooibos. :wub: And I especially enjoy an organic rooibos vanilla often. What I like about rooibos is that you can steep it forever and it still tastes great. Have you had both the "green" and "red" rooiboses?

yes, as a matter of fact i HAVE tried green rooibos. :) a little tangy, IMO. unfortunately, none of my students liked it, so i stopped buying it a couple of years ago. *shrugs*

Please share how you filter your water. I heard a long time ago that Brita water filters are banned in Italy for the same reason you share.

wow, then i applaud Italy for actually caring about the health and well-being of their population. there are a number of really good filtration systems on the market, most of which employ, among other aspects, reverse-osmosis. i didn't go that route, however.

what i use is Aquasana. really clean water, at a really good price. the filters are replaced every 6 months, and they really stand by their product. all the other systems that i would consider using cost at least 4 times as much. i almost went for a system that was actually 20 times as much! but aquasana works for me. :)

Indeed. :)

just for the record, since you brought it up, the company Mikaelz works for has a pu-erh with fairly strong notes of earl grey with bergamot. i enjoyed it quite a bit.

before that i had mostly thought that green tea was nasty, but that people drank it anyway because it was healthy. SO WRONG! :lol: there was this old Japanese lady who owned a tea shop near my school, and she schooled me on proper brewing of green tea. i had no idea that different teas might require different water temperatures. :rolleyes: so if the water was too hot, or if i steeped the tea for even a minute too long, the delicate flavors of the green tea would turn bitter. and up until that point i had been doing both of those, so as far as i was concerned, green tea kinda sucked.

but once i got it right, i was never the same again.

Here's an interesting article on Pu erh from the teamuse. It mentions the Pu erh from Adagio, and talks about the importance of rinsing.

On Pu Erh, The Other Tea

by LaRoi Zavier

An ancient past time

Dark and earthy Pu Erh tea

Yunnan Pu Erh Gold

If I were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one type of tea with me, in unlimited supply, it would definitely be China's pu erh tea from Yunnan Province. It has all of the medicinal properties of green tea, plus other medicinal properties which are unique to pu erh alone. It has a flavor that is complex and yet much smoother and more enjoyable than a cup of a gourmet coffee. So aside from its numerous health benefits, it's just plain good!

One of the things I find so fascinating about pu erh is that it is actually a living tea, which is what makes it so unique. The living cultures within the tea are why pu erh is the only tea in the world that actually improves with age. The living, healthy microbes in the leaves smooth out the flavor of the tea over time, which is why pu erh remains drinkable and enjoyable no matter how long it is steeped. No other tea has this quality. A good cup of pu erh is so rich and dark that it's easy to mistake the tea for a cup of coffee, but once that smoothness hits the tongue, there's no mistaking pu erh for any other drink.

It's no wonder to me why pu erh has always been the choice tea of China's old aristocracy and now the business elite. Though it contains the least amount of caffeine of all the black teas, it is surprisingly invigorating, yet at the same time balancing, so no jitters like coffee. Strategists and leaders historically would drink pu erh when making important decisions that required focus. Business leaders continue this practice today, enjoying a pot of pu erh prior to meetings and negotiations. As a morning boost to start off the day, pu erh is so naturally smooth that no additives are required to enjoy a cup, unlike coffee, which few people actually enjoy plain. For some reason, however, pu erh has a reputation for not being very pleasant to the taste.

Probably the most important (and, unfortunately, the most often overlooked) factor in whether or not you enjoy your first cup of pu erh is proper brewing. It's not like other teas, and if it's not done correctly the first time, you're not likely to give it a second try. So right off the bat: YOU MUST RINSE THE LEAVES BEFORE BREWING A POT! This is paramount. The tea has been fermenting and aging many months or even years, depending on the quality of the tea, and in that time it acquires a bitter, chalky, sometimes even fishy-tasting filminess. And when most people claim not to like the taste of pu erh, it's because their first cup had this unpleasant flavor from an improperly prepared pot. So make sure you rinse the leaves properly first!

How do you do that? Simple. Just boil the water like normal, and once the water is ready just pour a quarter- or half-cup over the leaves, just enough to fully submerge them. Swish the leaves around in the water for a period of 45 seconds to a full minute, and then strain. Only then are the leaves ready for making a proper pot. And believe me, it makes all the difference in the world!

Green tea is now well-known throughout the world for its medicinal properties, but few people know the value of pu erh in this regard. Like green tea, pu erh is full of antioxidants, which helps to prevent cancer. In Chinese medicine it is held in high regard for regulating the energies of the spleen and pancreas, as well as regulating the triple-burner and overall metabolism of the body. It contains cleansing properties for eliminating toxins, and also replenishing properties for improving digestion and intestinal health.

Probably its most profound medicinal properties are in its ability to regulate cholesterol and heart disease. A blind study was conducted in France using patients with advanced cholesterol conditions, and the results were rather remarkable. The study demonstrated rather conclusively that drinking 3-4 cups of pu erh on a regular basis can lower cholesterol to the same extent as some of the most advanced medications available.

Now, I've had the opportunity to try three of Adagio's pu erh teas side-by-side. Just yesterday morning I brewed a pot of the pu erh Poe and the pu erh Dante, two basic, inexpensive teas that I would consider fair representations of the average cost-friendly pu erh on the market. Then this morning I decided to go for the gold and try the Yunnan pu erh Gold. Here are my thoughts:

The Poe: deep, rich, and full-bodied, which is what I like in pu erh. mildly spicy (think cinnamon or nutmeg, not chili peppers), slightly smokey finish. Anyone who is looking for a coffee replacement will find both the price and the taste of this tea favorable.

The Dante: lighter bodied, a little more complexity than the Poe, very energizing (which might suggests a little more caffeine content, like a younger stock), but not quite as satisfying overall as Poe's fullness, which really is comparable to an uncommonly smooth cup of coffee. However, for people who prefer lighter bodied brews or who enjoy coffees from Latin America (slightly citrus with a bright acidity), the Dante pu erh will be your winner.

Yunnan Pu Erh Gold: Truly I was saving the best for last. This brew has all of the qualities I have come to expect in a mid to high range pu erh, and none of the weaknesses of the lower priced varieties. For instance, one of the drawbacks shared by both the Poe and the Dante is a somewhat heavy earthiness in the finish. The Yunnan Gold doesn't have this at all, and instead you get more of a clean woodsiness that tapers off into a faint apple peal flavor. It's incredibly full-bodied on the tongue, yet surprisingly light on the taste buds. It also washes with a bit of that earl grey/bergamot sweetness, indicating a delicately controlled fermentation. And everything is in balance; nothing overpowering at all. A really great tea to serve my out-of-town guests with discriminating pallets.

There are so many different varieties of pu erh on the market that the best idea is to simply explore a number of different types as you would with different wines. It's a fun process to explore and discover the complex and nuanced world of pu erh tea. Proper rinsing and brewing really makes the flavors come alive, and the health benefits alone make it worth a second look if you've tried it before. Who knows? You might even discover along the way, just as I did, that you have fallen in love!

Yunnan Pu Erh Gold: Truly I was saving the best for last. This brew has all of the qualities I have come to expect in a mid to high range pu erh, and none of the weaknesses of the lower priced varieties. For instance, one of the drawbacks shared by both the Poe and the Dante is a somewhat heavy earthiness in the finish. The Yunnan Gold doesn't have this at all, and instead you get more of a clean woodsiness that tapers off into a faint apple peal flavor. It's incredibly full-bodied on the tongue, yet surprisingly light on the taste buds. It also washes with a bit of that earl grey/bergamot sweetness, indicating a delicately controlled fermentation. And everything is in balance; nothing overpowering at all. A really great tea to serve my out-of-town guests with discriminating pallets.

Yes, I also got a sample of this and tried it. Although puerhs aren't for me, this one is the best that I've encountered.

Here's an interesting article on Pu erh from the teamuse. It mentions the Pu erh from Adagio, and talks about the importance of rinsing.

:lol:

it's really not that great of an article, but i'm glad you guys can appreciate it. i wrote it over a 3-hour period, and had the teas arrived at my doorstep earlier, i would have written a MUCH better article. i actually apologized to Mikaelz when i submitted it, but the deadline didn't leave me with much elbow room. :rolleyes:

stylistic flaws aside, the information is accurate, so that's what really matters, i guess. ;)

For what its worth, here is the latest newsletter from amazing green tea. They make the case that location, altitude and part harvest trump the organic label. Here it is:

AMAZING-GREEN-TEA NEWSLETTER:

Solving Problems Every Tea Drinker Faces

24 August 2010 Issue #36:

IN THIS ISSUE:

>> Organic Green Tea versus Location - Which Is More Important?

===============================================

In the July newsletter, we discussed five important things to know when buying authentic green tea. You can access the newsletter here:

Buy Green Tea - Five Important Things to Know

A newsletter reader asked: What about the so-called organic certified green tea?

This newsletter will explain organic certification mean, and why they often fall short of quality.

====================

What does ORGANIC mean?

====================

In the United States, any organic certified food must meet the National Organic Program (NOP) standards set by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). Here is what they define as organic:

- The farm emphasizes the use of renewable resources.

- It does not use most conventional pesticides.

- It does not use fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge.

===============

A guarantee of quality?

===============

Organic green tea does not always provide greater experience and health benefits. They can comply to the USDA rules and be low grade.

In the July newsletter, I noted that the quality of tea leaves depend on three factors:

- Timing of harvests (Early spring the best)

- Plant parts (tea buds rather than leaves)

The USDA rules do not cover any of the above. To quote from USDA themselves:

"A NOP certified tea is not necessarily higher quality or more nutritious. It simply differs from the conventionally produced food in the way it is grown, handled and processed."

==============================

Location is more important than certification?

==============================

Although organic certified farms do not use pesticides, they can contain contaminants. This is because the USDA doesn't include chemical testing of environmental pollutants.

This is an important issue to consider. Personally, I regard the risk of heavy metals contaminations to be far more significant than pesticides.

I wouldn't want to drink from tea plants growing in the roadside. They may be polluted by leads spewed out by cars and trucks.

As you see later, if I have to choose between an organic certified tea leaves and another uncertified tea buds grown in the high altitude, I will happily go for the latter.

================================

Three ways tea buds offer automatic protections.

================================

When you buy green tea buds harvested early spring, plucked from prime locations in high mountain, you are protected in three ways:

1. The highest grade tea buds (especially AAA grades) are harvested the first 5 days of the season. Mother nature is still waking up to spring. Pesticides are not needed because few pests exist in the first crack of spring.

2. These tea buds are so fresh and young. Only a few days old, they have little time to absorb contaminants from the environments.

(Also, it is well established that these young tea buds contain the greatest concentrations of goodness. The rich cocktails of compounds (such as theanine, antioxidants and caffeine) translate to maximum health benefits and taste.)

3. In the foggy high mountain, tea plants grow slowly. In China, they are only harvested once a year. The combination of rich soil and low yield means that fertilizers are often not needed.

=============

Pre-industrial magic

=============

When you buy an organic green tea, you are buying a peace of mind, and a minimum standard of farming. This is fine, and I will probably do the same in the absence of anything better.

However, what many people miss is that the highest grade tea from China is the culmination of 1,200 years of imperial luxury. Tea is a special beverage. You can't really cut corners without ruining the taste and experience.

In the best tea gardens. tea plants are harvested for only 6 weeks a year. Hands are still preferable to machines for harvesting and roasting. We thought the organic label gives us a superior product, but forget that the traditional ways are still alive and breathing. Natural, and better than organic.

=============

Taste and nutrition

=============

The only way to understand this is to taste a cup of real tea - one that looks good, tastes good and feels good. Take time to learn to appreciate it.

Tea nutrition such as theanine, antioxidants and caffeine not only contain health benefits, they also contribute to the tastes and flavors. Theanine is sweet and fresh. Antioxidants are astringent. Caffeine is bitter. This is why rich-tasting teas contain the most health benefits.

In the last newsletter, I recommend beginners starting out "at the bottom of the ladder" with the Maofeng green tea (at $6) or Silver Needle white tea (at $14). Coincidently, these two teas have been certified organic.

I hope this helps? Any thoughts on this matter? Reply to this email!

Until next time.

---

Julian Tai

Every day when I drink my Dragon Well I remember I promised to write up a review on it for Julian..... I'll get there one day mate, the taste is so good it deserves a decent review and it's a bit beyond me :)

I've been looking at them a bit, but I don't see anyone who has actually brought from Amazing Green Tea.

(I did Kunlun despite the choice ofadvertising method :lol:)

So I guess the only way would be to taste them. Want to swap a 2010 King Grade Dragon Well for one of your good greens?

No probs, deal! :)

But I haven't bough any this year since I just started drinking LJ (not high grade) last May. I am waiting for next year (late March - April 2011) as it is when the top grade is harvested. Care to wait that long? And trust me, I won't forget.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Well, I have been inspired by all this tea-talk! I'm going to go on a search for the most amazing tea I ever drank, which was a Jasmine tea I had at a semi-random encounter with a chinese doctor in his clinic. We drank tea from the same two Jasmine flowers a total of 8 times while I was there, and the taste never diminished. It was great, so to the point that no matter how I try, I still can't drink Jasmine tea because nothing is even remotely close to that good, nothing I have gotten my hands on.

Luckily there's a real serious tea-nerd-run shop within an hour from me where I'm sure I can find a proper Jasmine tea, and I think I'm going to try some other chinese teas as well. I'm deinitely interested in Pu Erh after all this talk of it.

I usually only drink herbal teas picked by myself, I don't ever drink teas with caffeine in them. My favourite is probably a mix of mints with liquorice root, nettle, and calendula. yums! I wish I could get a hold on fresh eucalyptus and misteltoe, those are great in teas! Along with Malva and some honey it's a great ease for colds, and real tasty of course. Also, self-picked in the forest and hills (and garden, of course) should take the price for the el-cheapo challenge. There's nothing that can beat it in reshness and cheapness.

Since it's the "El Cheapo" tea thread, while I love my hard to find exotic teas. I recently bough some supermarket brand white tea teabags for $2 when on holidays.

I had a great time siting on the veranda where I was staying, drinking my tea, and reading a cowboy book as the sun went down.

I brought them home but they just don't taste the same now :)

Glad to read you enjoyed reading all this talk. Now, if you could brew some of Keemun tea and appreciate all of its subtleties you would understand why this is an art:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keemun_tea

http://www.jingteashop.com/pd-jing-tea-shop-keemun-tea-gg.cfm

Man, this has to be one of my fave teas. The one I tasted the other day was a mixture of cocoa with honey with a slight "smokeyness" in the background. Very nice.

it's sold out!

you know it's not right to do that to people.

:angry::lol: