Apech

The inner and the outer

Thanks for sharing John. Its a relief to know that nothing too serious resulted from it. :)

This used to happen to me all the time when I first started meditating--- as soon as I sat down, the phone would ring, my pager would buzz, the doorbell would go off, something would happen. I read that this was fairly common, and over time, these things stopped happening. It still happens every so often.

Who is to say that the source of our thoughts is different from the source of so-called external events?

Obviously I have some fairly shit karma :) but that aside ... after all the fuss had died down I thought about how ironic it was that at the very moment of my conscious withdrawal from external stimuli, the outside world had so brutally intruded. Indeed if this had been a dream then you could have taken the whole thing as symbolic ... the inner and the outer ... two worlds but linked in some way ...

Hi all,

I want to revive my failing thread on the inner and the outer.

A week ago on Saturday something happened that made me think of this discussion. It was very hot weather (for England) and I had had trouble sleeping the night before cos it was so hot and humid - so I felt rotten. At lunchtime my girlfriend went to the shops to get a few supplies and left me on my own so I thought I'll do a bit of sitting to up my energy and for a bit of clear out. Theses days I favor a particular way of doing this which involves consciously removing attention from the body by exclusively focusing on the breath. When I do this all the channels open and I get a very powerful 'flush' which purges my body.

I was part way through this process when I heard some noise outside the house (I was upstairs). At this point I should explain that I live in a fairly rough neighborhood and my house opens onto a passageway and sometimes stuff happens outside. Usually I would go to see what was going on but because I was doing this exclusive breath watching I didn't bother. A few moments later there was a bump on the front door (which I thought might be the post) followed by an almighty bang. By this time I had given up my meditation.

I went downstairs to find the front door had been kicked open, the lock broken and the door split. I rushed outside to see two youths disappearing round the corner about 50m away. Obviously they were intent on breaking in but had run off when they heard me coming down. They only kicked the door in because I hadn't responded to the noise and the first knock - which were just a way of seeing if the house was empty.

Obviously I have some fairly shit karma :) but that aside ... after all the fuss had died down I thought about how ironic it was that at the very moment of my conscious withdrawal from external stimuli, the outside world had so brutally intruded. Indeed if this had been a dream then you could have taken the whole thing as symbolic ... the inner and the outer ... two worlds but linked in some way ...

anyway I thought I would share ....

Cheers

John

I suggest you fit your cat out with some custom made steel claws, and set him in front of the doorway ready to pounce. Make sure he/she knows the difference between the chavs and your gf though. I'm hoping, for your sake, that won't be hard.

.....John???? Really??? Your parents were obviously about as imaginative as mine.

ps. I have been totally cured of my genetic sarcasm as you can see. Cured at last cured at last cured at last!!

I suggest you fit your cat out with some custom made steel claws, and set him in front of the doorway ready to pounce. Make sure he/she knows the difference between the chavs and your gf though. I'm hoping, for your sake, that won't be hard.

.....John???? Really??? Your parents were obviously about as imaginative as mine.

ps. I have been totally cured of my genetic sarcasm as you can see. Cured at last cured at last cured at last!!

Hey Ninps,

Where have you been? Obviously from your cat arming comments you have been meditating in a cave somewhere on harmlessness and forgiveness ... and concluded both are pointless???

The policewoman who came to see us very helpfully told us that we were lucky because at a break-in nearby they had used baseball bats and razors. This is the kind of reassurance you need in the circumstances.

I use the name John as a ninja cloak of anonymity, if someone shouts "John, you *****" in a crowded place, half the men turn to look while I conceal myself in the nearest waste bin.

Hey Ninps,

Where have you been? Obviously from your cat arming comments you have been meditating in a cave somewhere on harmlessness and forgiveness ... and concluded both are pointless???

The policewoman who came to see us very helpfully told us that we were lucky because at a break-in nearby they had used baseball bats and razors. This is the kind of reassurance you need in the circumstances.

I use the name John as a ninja cloak of anonymity, if someone shouts "John, you *****" in a crowded place, half the men turn to look while I conceal myself in the nearest waste bin.

I think it's non-aggressive as long as it's not you doing it; the cat, after all, will be following it's own God given nature. It's win win! Make sure you hide the claws after though.

I have actually been contemplating the meaning of 'work', and I concluded it was pointless..... then I ran out of money and thought better of it.

I think you need to forget about passivity if they kick your door in and come armed with baseball bats and razors. It's seems past the point of reasoning. You should invest in a dog, and I'm not talking about a poodle either.

post-46635-127546548424_thumb.jpg

I think it's non-aggressive as long as it's not you doing it; the cat, after all, will be following it's own God given nature. It's win win! Make sure you hide the claws after though.

I have actually been contemplating the meaning of 'work', and I concluded it was pointless..... then I ran out of money and thought better of it.

I think you need to forget about passivity if they kick your door in and come armed with baseball bats and razors. It's seems past the point of reasoning. You should invest in a dog, and I'm not talking about a poodle either.

post-46635-127546548424_thumb.jpg

If they come armed in that way I shall adopt the age old martial art strategy of throwing money and credit cards in their general direction while running away. Mind you if the razor blades are Sensor Excel then I could do with a few, they cost a fortune in Boots.

(In case you didn't know this strategy is called 'Tiger Merges with Long Grass' or 'Wa Yu Hai-din Strai-Pi Kat' in the original lingo.)

PS. I spent the day in Lake District today and this happened:

Shootings in Cumbria

OMG maybe I am a bad karma spreading demon!

Edited by apepch7

If they come armed in that way I shall adopt the age old martial art strategy of throwing money and credit cards in their general direction while running away. Mind you if the razor blades are Sensor Excel then I could do with a few, they cost a fortune in Boots.

(In case you didn't know this strategy is called 'Tiger Merges with Long Grass' or 'Wa Yu Hai-din Strai-Pi Kat' in the original lingo.)

Shootings in Cumbria

I found myself wondering if it wasn't your good karma that kept you upstairs until the moment when your presence on the stairs would scare them off; even though you have the nuisance and expense of repairs, no one was hurt, and the youths get one more chance to reflect on the error (and potential for hard time or injury) of their ways.

Shunryu Suzuki had some kind of a quote about how things go right when the captain is present on the ship, or something like that; I think that's the phenomena you're driving at, I'll try to find the exact quote when I get a chance.

I found myself wondering if it wasn't your good karma that kept you upstairs until the moment when your presence on the stairs would scare them off; even though you have the nuisance and expense of repairs, no one was hurt, and the youths get one more chance to reflect on the error (and potential for hard time or injury) of their ways.

Shunryu Suzuki had some kind of a quote about how things go right when the captain is present on the ship, or something like that; I think that's the phenomena you're driving at, I'll try to find the exact quote when I get a chance.

Thanks! That's a real positive point, I shall ruminate on it.

The thing though is - when things happen like this they seem significant as if somehow life and your practice have conspired to teach you something - but what that thing is, is quite often pretty elusive. When the thing is unpleasant then you tend to just think - I hope that does not happen again.

Shootings in Cumbria

Personally I believe the naughty little entities that fly around and feed off humans don't like it one little bit when people start cultivating and making the right kind of progress. It cuts off their food. I've had some weird experiences down that path. I remember one occasions when the inner eye, third eye, or whatever one would like to call it, opened as a result of meditation.... something flying around that I saw noticed I noticed it and then threw some kind of energy blob over it, closing it. As far as I can make out when progress is happening all kinds of things come along to destroy your balance, it seems such a common phenomena that it can't just be coincidence.

I think the above poster has a good point though, you should be viewing it as good karma.

On a serious note though, have you considered what might happen if your gf is at home and you are not? Thieves usually case a joint for a while, and they don't like their work to go to waste, they also often wait about 2-4 months before doing the same place over again. And they DO usually try to do it again. In the area I grew up the majority of the people I knew were thieving b*stards, most of them are either dead or in prison.

I still think you should get a dog. Seriously. A nice cross breed pitbull/labrador would do the trick. They have a balanced combination of aggression and control, female is best. The other plus is although they are a cross they look almost like full pitbull, so people who see you walking the dog in the area will think it is, and I assure you, weapon or not, they won't break into your house again.

Anyway...I'm somewhat off your topic at the moment, so I'll leave you to it.

Woof.

Personally I believe the naughty little entities that fly around and feed off humans don't like it one little bit when people start cultivating and making the right kind of progress. It cuts off their food. I've had some weird experiences down that path. I remember one occasions when the inner eye, third eye, or whatever one would like to call it, opened as a result of meditation.... something flying around that I saw noticed I noticed it and then threw some kind of energy blob over it, closing it. As far as I can make out when progress is happening all kinds of things come along to destroy your balance, it seems such a common phenomena that it can't just be coincidence.

I think the above poster has a good point though, you should be viewing it as good karma.

On a serious note though, have you considered what might happen if your gf is at home and you are not? Thieves usually case a joint for a while, and they don't like their work to go to waste, they also often wait about 2-4 months before doing the same place over again. And they DO usually try to do it again. In the area I grew up the majority of the people I knew were thieving b*stards, most of them are either dead or in prison.

I still think you should get a dog. Seriously. A nice cross breed pitbull/labrador would do the trick. They have a balanced combination of aggression and control, female is best. The other plus is although they are a cross they look almost like full pitbull, so people who see you walking the dog in the area will think it is, and I assure you, weapon or not, they won't break into your house again.

Anyway...I'm somewhat off your topic at the moment, so I'll leave you to it.

Woof.

Yes I have thought about a dog. We used to have one but it died and that was so heartbreaking that we decided not to get another. Our next door neighbours have a giant white thing whose head is bigger than the rest of its body and they have said they will look out if there is any disturbance. I've lived here six years and gf for 12 years and we have survived all the probs - it used to be worse by the way.

As to things that fly around your head or whatever ... I do think that we are 'tested' but tend to think that this is somehow mechanistic rather than evil sprites but I am open to ideas.