Kunlun Enthusiast

Inspiring Books

A quick addition, these Ideas are not mine, I got them from Don Miguel Ruiz's books of which I am a massive fan. I just finished 'The Fifth Agreement' which blew me away...

Seth Ananda wrote this on another thread and that introduced me to these wonderful books! I just finished reading the Fourth Agreement...thanks for introducing me to Ruiz :)

Tao Bums,

What are your other absolute favorite books? Power of Now? Autobiography of a Yogi? Glenn Morris? Share your favorite books.

1. Awareness by Anthony Demello (although I much prefer to listen to his talks than read him - his voice and method of delivery are wonderful).

2. To Be Human by Jiddu Krishnamurti (and just about anything else he has written). Contrary to Demello, I don't like listening to JK, reading him gives me time to digest and live the words, which is more important than just reading or hearing them.

3. When The Shoe Fits: Stories of the Taoist Mystic Chuang Tzu - Osho is the book that helped me break the code of the Daoist classics.

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha, An Unusually Hardcore Dharma Book, by Daniel M. Ingram and A Path With Heart by Jack Kornfield are my two favourites I guess. I also like demelos awareness book a lot. Path Notes by GLen Morris also ranges high. Ingrams book can be read for free:

http://web.mac.com/danielmingram/iWeb/Daniel%20Ingram%27s%20Dharma%20Blog/The%20Blook/The%20Blook.html

Edited by markern

Cool, Kunlun enthusiast,

I Love All Don Miguels works, Voice of knowledge was like being repeatedly kicked in the head, but in a good way :lol: . I am reading It again at the moment.

the Fifth agreement is my all time favourite.

I read the Four agreements 12 times. For me it was probably round the 10th reading that i feel i really began to "get' the underlying message in a way that started to make a massive difference in Me and my world - Not just an intellectual understanding or just me struggling to actually keep the Four agreements them selves...

Sherri Rosenthal's - A Complete Idiots guide to Toltec wisdom, is Fantastic as far as the Seth is concerned.

Other than that, I love the Tantric Texts. A friend Shankarananda wrote a book on Kashmir Shavism called Consciousness is everything. That is one of my all time Favourites. Its very readable and engaging while retaining a scholarly feel.

I really enjoyed - Living Presence, by Kabir Helminski. It sort of starts where be here now stops and gets a lot deeper (IMO)

I personally think that - Half way up the mountain, should be crucial reading. I cant see my copy on the shelf, I must have lent it out, and I do not remember the Authors name.

I think Ill stop now, I have 100's of books on all different traditions, and I'll go on all day if not careful. I Love books. :wub:

Good luck Finding what suits you... :)

I personally think that - Half way up the mountain, should be crucial reading. I cant see my copy on the shelf, I must have lent it out, and I do not remember the Authors name.

Mariana Caplan. and like you, i looked for it on my shelf just now, only to find that i've given it to someone again. ;) it's one of those books that i've purchased numerous times because i'm always giving it away.

I love book lists :D great stuff here (and I'm a big fan of Osho books)

Current inspiring read Rogue Black Belt

Older classics Jonathan Livingston Seagull and The Alchemist

most given away Beyond the Known This book pretty much explains what I love about martial arts and why I practice them. I always have 2 copies so I've got one to give away (ok I'm down to one at the moment :D) Towards the Unknown is great too, but it took me a fair bit of learning and teaching experience before it began to speak to me while Beyond was immediately accessible. Re-read every few years.

Most often re-read Hua Hu Ching

Went to buy Half way up the Mountains as it's often recommended but unavailable at the moment :( So I got 2 new copies of Beyond instead (I have someone in mind for one of them already)

I keep coming back to this book over & over again for Self-discovery:

The Impersonal Life, by Joseph Benner

Other than that, I love the Tantric Texts. A friend Shankarananda wrote a book on Kashmir Shavism called Consciousness is everything. That is one of my all time Favourites. Its very readable and engaging while retaining a scholarly feel.

I think you will really like this book, it's by a Kashmir Shivaite master; wonderfully written, I found it extremely inspiring. Purchase it from that site, if you can, to support his ashram.

My favorite books, though I read so many it's hard to choose, or even remember!

The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra of the Dzogchen Semde -- Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

The Path to Freedom - Dalai Lama

Nonduality - David Loy

Shambhala Sacred Path of the Warrior -- Chogyam Trungpa

Crystal and the Way of Light - Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche

the Out of Your Mind series -- Alan Watts

Coming Home: The Experience of Enlightenment in Sacred Traditions-- Lex Hixon

What makes you not a Buddhist - Dzongsar Jamyang

Play of Consciousness - Swami Muktananda

Path Notes of an American Ninja Master - Glenn Morris

Edited by mikaelz

Mariana Caplan. and like you, i looked for it on my shelf just now, only to find that i've given it to someone again. ;) it's one of those books that i've purchased numerous times because i'm always giving it away.

Yes that book is also one of my favorites

I think you will really like this book, it's by a Kashmir Shivaite master; wonderfully written, I found it extremely inspiring. Purchase it from that site, if you can, to support his ashram.

Thanks Mikaelz, there are quite a few books there, I have all of Singh's works. Do you mean Vibration of Divine Consciousness? I do not have that, but I am a Nityananda fan :)

Seth.

Some of my essential books:

The Tao Te Ching-DC Lau

365 Tao-Deng Ming Dao

Bankei Zen-Peter Haskel

The Unborn,The Life & Teachings of Zen Master Bankei-Norman Waddell

Hsin Hsin Ming-Sengcan

Thanks Mikaelz, there are quite a few books there, I have all of Singh's works. Do you mean Vibration of Divine Consciousness? I do not have that, but I am a Nityananda fan :)

Seth.

Sorry, yes I meant Vibrations of Divine Consciousness :)

It's the personal story of Acharya Kedar, very reminiscent of Muktananda's Play of Consciousness where the author shares what got him on the path, spiritual experiences, and the enlightenment experiences. Those are my favorite kinds of works :wub:

Edited by mikaelz

The Crystal And The Way Of Light - Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche

Zurchungpa's Testament - Zurchungpa, Shechen Gyaltsab, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche