saltydeath

Alternatives to Healing Tao?

So I want to be able to teach qigong a little bit as I side job. And while I've studied a lot on my own (mostly through books and videos), I still don't think I have the credentials for people to take me seriously, especially with all the other people teaching it these days. So I want to do some training where I can become as proficient as possible in the shortest amount of time. I've looked at a lot of the Healing Tao stuff, and I know a lot of the folks on this forum have trained there, but I just don't trust it. It just seems so slickly packaged and marketed that it kind of turns me off. So I was wondering if there are any other ways that folks feel would be a good way to become certified. Are there any training programs that are more accessible to folks that can't fly to North Carolina over and over? I'm aware that a certificate doesn't really prove anything, and that there are a lot of online qigong training scams and snake-oil salesmen. But I'd just like to be able to teach people that are looking for an introduction to the art, and I'm not trying to pass myself off as any kind of master.

Best way of becoming certified is taking sometime off and travel to China and study there with a hermit in one of the sacred mountains. If this isn't feasible for various reasons you will be severely limited in the knowledge you'll acquire. Sorry if I am not more helpful. Real spiritual training cannot be learnt online. Taoist is very difficult because of the Confucian way.

Best way of becoming certified is taking sometime off and travel to China and study there with a hermit in one of the sacred mountains. If this isn't feasible for various reasons you will be severely limited in the knowledge you'll acquire. Sorry if I am not more helpful. Real spiritual training cannot be learnt online. Taoist is very difficult because of the Confucian way.

there are a lot of incredible teachers in the US, you do not need to go to china in a remote mountain for this.

saltydeath, you just need to keep looking, there are so many teachers out there really. it all depends on what you want, what kind of teaching are you looking for, what is your goal. the internet makes it so easy to find people nowadays. best of luck!

So I want to be able to teach qigong a little bit as I side job. And while I've studied a lot on my own (mostly through books and videos), I still don't think I have the credentials for people to take me seriously, especially with all the other people teaching it these days. So I want to do some training where I can become as proficient as possible in the shortest amount of time. I've looked at a lot of the Healing Tao stuff, and I know a lot of the folks on this forum have trained there, but I just don't trust it. It just seems so slickly packaged and marketed that it kind of turns me off. So I was wondering if there are any other ways that folks feel would be a good way to become certified. Are there any training programs that are more accessible to folks that can't fly to North Carolina over and over? I'm aware that a certificate doesn't really prove anything, and that there are a lot of online qigong training scams and snake-oil salesmen. But I'd just like to be able to teach people that are looking for an introduction to the art, and I'm not trying to pass myself off as any kind of master.

Check out nqa.org you should be able to find what your looking for there

there are a lot of incredible teachers in the US, you do not need to go to china in a remote mountain for this.

Yes; go to China after you have learned qigong for the cultural experience.

Check out nqa.org you should be able to find what your looking for there

Specifically, if you want certification, look for the Level IV certified Teacher on the NQA website. Requires 10 years teaching experience.

I am a Level IV certified Teacher and have a certification program. www.qigongamerica.com

You don't actually need credentials or certification to "teach" "Qigong" - all you need is an audience. If you're good (and honest), they'll come.

What I mean is, start small, with friends and family. See if you know enough and are competent (and confident) enough to explain it to them and get them excited about it. Don't think of it as teaching but rather as sharing what you've learned and experienced.

"Earning a little side cash" is a poor motivation for this, imo, and it'll show in your instruction. So, my suggestion is to shift gears already before you begin.

I would have to agree with previous sentiments; get very clear about your intentions and seek out competent instruction. If time/money/geography are limiting factors, you could do well by purchasing the Spring Forest Qigong Level 1 package for $41, and still have relatively convenient access to SFQ practitioners who can offer instruction.

You don't actually need credentials or certification to "teach" "Qigong" - all you need is an audience. If you're good (and honest), they'll come.

What I mean is, start small, with friends and family. See if you know enough and are competent (and confident) enough to explain it to them and get them excited about it. Don't think of it as teaching but rather as sharing what you've learned and experienced.

"Earning a little side cash" is a poor motivation for this, imo, and it'll show in your instruction. So, my suggestion is to shift gears already before you begin.

Saltydeath,

I'd have to agree with this sentiment and even take it one step further. If your goal is to share and help people learn qigong, then one could even argue that it should be "free" or donation-based (this is the path I would like to take - sharing and learning from each other).

If you are looking to make a living, then I'd have to agree with the others and acheive full certification/credentials.

I tend to get turned off by "packages" and "deals" too, but am going to try Winn's Primordial Qigong because it is close and convenient. Perhaps you will find someone close to your location for guidance as well.

Good luck!

Art