NeiChuan

How important is a closing?

It shouldn't be thought of as something 'separate'.

huh, that's interesting to me 'cause I don't really think of it as separate and don't "announce" it ("Ok, that was the Qigong, and now we're gonna "close" things up for today..."). The progression is seamless, there's no break in the rhythm or the breath, at any time. But I never really gave specific thought to the benefit of doing this way. Thanks :)

huh, that's interesting to me 'cause I don't really think of it as separate and don't "announce" it ("Ok, that was the Qigong, and now we're gonna "close" things up for today..."). The progression is seamless, there's no break in the rhythm or the breath, at any time. But I never really gave specific thought to the benefit of doing this way. Thanks :)

It is easy for students to think they know it all, and can therefore pick and choose what is important. God knows I have made plenty of mistakes myself over the years.

I think the problem here is when you have a system with different techniques that can be practiced at different times. Some days you might do one or two, other days you might do different ones. There is then the temptation just to do the techniques, but miss out the closing.

With a 'seamless' set of exercises, then people will naturally follow it through to its conclusion. With the closing being part of that, it is then natural that it is also done each time.

Ya Mu,

Should I ever decide to take up teaching I'll remember to use that story ;) .

:lol::o:lol:

Yes, I always say "The single biggest mistake my students make is not doing the closing."

Instead I should say, "This part of the exercise system comes from a Shaolin monk who, while traveling to Wudang, met and was taught by a Sufi master who had discovered Atlantean secrets. While meditating on these secrets at the top of Wudang mountain his qi was so powerful that he was picked up by advanced beings from Sirius and shown these super secret exercises and warned that they were only for a select few."

hahah I love it!

I think the problem here is when you have a system with different techniques that can be practiced at different times. Some days you might do one or two, other days you might do different ones. There is then the temptation just to do the techniques, but miss out the closing.

That's a good point, too. I'd add that, when you've done the same ritual closing a couple thousand times, it becomes more of an energetic move, a thought, a wish, an intention, than a mechanical gesture. What I'm saying is, there are cases where the actual closing ritual doesn't actually have to be "performed", but a sense of conclusion, of turning the page to a new chapter, should always be there. And in case of doubt, go through the routine every time.

fwiw - a 90 minute session with me is generally built on three main phases: 1) a somewhat vigorous warm-up, 2) the Qigong, 3) the concluding self-massage. But, each of these can occur in phases as well, with a dose of spontanaeity sprinkled about dependent on the theme and the group dynamic of the moment. There'll be a closing move, a gathering and centering, a return to the middle (LDT) each time we shift gears or turn a corner. So, in 90 minutes, it's possible that we'll "close" 6-9 times, with the big ritual closing as I described it earlier saved for the end. The big lights go up, curtain drops, applause all around, and we leave the stage. But the session is always a seamless "whole".

Since pretty much everything that is worth saying on this issue has been said, I will just add my practices since they are extremely simple and still fulfills the requirements for grounding and gathering.

As I am always on the lookout for the easiest and most effective routes (so yea, the lazy man's way :D), I have found that performing some ending sets of 'body breathing', where you gather energy from every direction, as though your body was a giant sponge, retain for 9 seconds, and then exhale it all back out in the same manner, does me right. And if I am feeling uber-I want to hang upside down in a tree and sleep all day- I just bring my awareness to my lower tantien and work the breathing/retaining thing a number of times. Hell, sometimes I have even just rolled around on the bare ground.

Other than those, I only practice more 'involved' closing sets if I sense that something is awry or I have an excess of energy. I don't necessarily believe in the adage 'better safe than sorry' in this case, because that sort of thinking sometimes leads one into a 'superstitious' or obsessive mindsets and tends to tighten the mind; and this only begets more of the issues that closings were designed to offset in the first place. Ritual might have power but it can also easily create stagnancy, rigidity and superfluousness; better to have strong intent and keep loose. Keep it interesting (not in the Chinese curse way :D).

Edited by betwixter

It's integral (necessary to the completeness of the whole practice).

You haven't done it unless you do it!

I've been practicing the seated meditation version from "stillness" movement. I haven't moved into the Chi Kung movements yet, should a closing be done after seated medition too?

I've been practicing the seated meditation version from "stillness" movement. I haven't moved into the Chi Kung movements yet, should a closing be done after seated medition too?

Absolutely. In fact, don't do the sitting UNLESS you do the closing. Stillness-Movement is an entire system - not just sitting.

• Like 1

Absolutely. In fact, don't do the sitting UNLESS you do the closing. Stillness-Movement is an entire system - not just sitting.

Thanks.

the self-massage closedown routine. I especially delight in running my fingers along my scalp! :D

Even moreso with a shaved head ;):lol:

Here is an interesting exception to consider. I have been dealing with an injury and because of the injury I have a lot of stagnant qi built up. Last night I was meditating in the seated position and when it came time to be done, I thought of this thread and the importance of closing. It has been mentioned that closing is necessary to ground any accumulated qi.

What if a practitioner is in a situation where they do not want to ground the qi. What if they want to get rid of it? In such a situation, it seems that closing would be counter productive.

Here is an interesting exception to consider. I have been dealing with an injury and because of the injury I have a lot of stagnant qi built up. Last night I was meditating in the seated position and when it came time to be done, I thought of this thread and the importance of closing. It has been mentioned that closing is necessary to ground any accumulated qi.

What if a practitioner is in a situation where they do not want to ground the qi. What if they want to get rid of it? In such a situation, it seems that closing would be counter productive.

I was referring to the Stillness-Movement system.

However, in a situation with stuck qi, I can't imagine a person not wanting to do the closing. Ground accumulated qi? How about helping to prevent stagnation and moving qi through the stagnation. This is not a question of whether you wish to "ground" the qi or not.

• Like 1