Sign in to follow this  
wishface

So many

The "microcosmic orbit" or "small universe" is considered the foundation of the Spring Forest Qigong practice. There's an excellent practice c.d. that's only $10 -- just scroll down to the Level 1 Sitting Meditation c.d.

http://www.springforestqigong.com/instructional_tools.htm

That guides you through the practice -- and can take you to the most advanced levels.

This is an excellent beginning book that details the experience of building the energy through the small universe practice:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2672168/Mantak-C...through-the-Tao

The advanced book for the "small universe" practice is called "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" by Charles Luk.

I took classes from qigong master Chunyi Lin of http://springforestqigong.com and he has done healing with the top hospital in the world -- the Mayo Clinic -- his website has testimonies of him healing late-term cancer, etc.

He did the 49 day straight full-lotus in a cave taking no food, no water and no sleep -- so he's well trained in alchemy.

49 days without water? Well I can't disprove it, but that's a tall order!

Anyway, does this stuff not have an english distributor because I really don't want to order overseas.

The first book also says you can't learn this stuff from just the book since it needs to be done properly. I'd rather do it properly than rely on the author's explanation. IME a lot of exercise manuals do not give accurate enough instructions at times. This has been my experience of tai chi. Simple movements, poorly explained. What thenf ollows is bad habits and bad practise.

http://damo-qigong.net/step1.htm

Steps 1 to 18 on that website to me personally is the biggest treasure i have found in years of searching for genuine information.

If you do sitting meditation with those principles + zhan zhuang + yoga asanas, then you're gold : )

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of the website info. It may very well be accurate and pertinent, but the writing is quite cumbersome and could be almost impenetrable for a newcomer (written by an ESL perhaps?). I would tell a new westerner to pick up a copy of "Opening the Energy Gates of your Body" by Bruce Frantzis or "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing" by Daniel Reid.

I would agree that Zhan Zhuang, or "Embrace Tree" is essential, and when properly performed, abdominal breathing begins on its own. If you are unclear about which yoga asanas to begin with, many of us are having tremendous results with the 5 Tibetan Rites. http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

I think the Embrace Tree link below is sound, but the chance to have your posture corrected by a competent instructor should be sought after at some point.

Do you know any free teachers in the North Somerset UK area?

Hey,

Not that near you, but Barry is a great teacher: http://www.healingtaobritain.com/

He's been known to teach for free if you help out with labour and stuff. Either way, he's very nice and you'll enjoy having a chat with him.

Finding a teacher is the best way to navigate all this stuff... building relationships with people that strive for the things you strive for will immerse you in a far more useful way than constantly reading opinion and stuff on the net or in books. This is a living art, so connect with living artists. :)

Best of luck mate.

actually the "small universe" c.d. is so amazingly simple yet powerful that the instructions are just on the c.d. itself.

As for U.K. distribution -- check this out -- I just discovered this free download:

http://avaxhome.ws/ebooks/audiobook/ch-ln-sprn-for-qgn.html

49 days without water? Well I can't disprove it, but that's a tall order!

Anyway, does this stuff not have an english distributor because I really don't want to order overseas.

The first book also says you can't learn this stuff from just the book since it needs to be done properly. I'd rather do it properly than rely on the author's explanation. IME a lot of exercise manuals do not give accurate enough instructions at times. This has been my experience of tai chi. Simple movements, poorly explained. What thenf ollows is bad habits and bad practise.

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of the website info. It may very well be accurate and pertinent, but the writing is quite cumbersome and could be almost impenetrable for a newcomer (written by an ESL perhaps?). I would tell a new westerner to pick up a copy of "Opening the Energy Gates of your Body" by Bruce Frantzis or "The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing" by Daniel Reid.

I would agree that Zhan Zhuang, or "Embrace Tree" is essential, and when properly performed, abdominal breathing begins on its own. If you are unclear about which yoga asanas to begin with, many of us are having tremendous results with the 5 Tibetan Rites. http://www.mkprojects.com/pf_TibetanRites.htm

I think the Embrace Tree link below is sound, but the chance to have your posture corrected by a competent instructor should be sought after at some point.

For me the five tibetans was just amazing. Nothing compares. It balances all the chakras and opens the central channel A LOT. But a lot of people don`t get the same benefits. I have no idea why. . It is absolutely worth checking out though. There is a book aobut it with some modifications for physical safety. This is the homepage of the author:

http://www.t5t.com/

Another very basic practice you can start up with without personal guidance is simple alternate nostril breathing. Don\t use any sort of breath holding or advanced counting techniques and you should be fine. This balances you profoundly and opens your main channels. There are instructions on Tao semkos blog and I think maybe also santiagos. You can find links to those on Umaatantra.com which has a number of good articles by the way.

Edited by markern

It's just a down load site -- so there's no torrent software necessary.

That doesn't mean it wasn't uploaded without permission.

Greetings..

I have to second the suggestion of, "Stillness".. from stillness clarity will reveal the appropriate experience..

Be well..

Greetings..

I have to second the suggestion of, "Stillness".. from stillness clarity will reveal the appropriate experience..

Be well..

How does one achieve stillness?

This forum is like getting blood from a stone!

I'm guessing therefore that the vast majority of readers/respondents are not in the UK.

The website says they don't violate copyright so I guess it's a free exchange of information -- really the radical idea behind the internet. Fair use law doesn't require permission but I see your point about it undermining another person's ability to make a profit. Personally I just give away my books and c.d.s etc. when I'm done with them. Still most people are too busy getting drunk or stoned or having sex, etc. to really focus their mind on this material! haha.

That doesn't mean it wasn't uploaded without permission.

The website says they don't violate copyright so I guess it's a free exchange of information -- really the radical idea behind the internet. Fair use law doesn't require permission but I see your point about it undermining another person's ability to make a profit. Personally I just give away my books and c.d.s etc. when I'm done with them. Still most people are too busy getting drunk or stoned or having sex, etc. to really focus their mind on this material! haha.

I think you'd have to be pretty naive to believe that link contains freely given material. I don't even think it's the full package, just some of the audio and the video part. No good downloading half the product and trying to learn from that.

I also find it somewhat disrepsectful to try and learn from a master whose work you have basically taken without permission. He may well have made it free, but if that's true why not just advertise this on the homepage.

The book is just a written down version of the audio material. It's just the basic information. It's true I've seen material removed from that site by the owner of the copyright, similarly I've seen the same removals on youtube. Obviously copy-right violation is a huge issue on the internet, especially in the music industry. But it's most difficult to claim ownership of music since the basic principles of melody and intervals are so similar.

I would say qigong is the same -- the "small universe" or "microcosmic orbit" practice is the foundation of Spring Forest Qigong and you only need the audio c.d. to guide the practice -- if you want. Otherwise you can use the scribd book from Mantak Chia.

If you want to practice on an advanced level then you'd want to follow the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality."

Good luck in your practice.

I think you'd have to be pretty naive to believe that link contains freely given material. I don't even think it's the full package, just some of the audio and the video part. No good downloading half the product and trying to learn from that.

I also find it somewhat disrepsectful to try and learn from a master whose work you have basically taken without permission. He may well have made it free, but if that's true why not just advertise this on the homepage.

The book is just a written down version of the audio material. It's just the basic information. It's true I've seen material removed from that site by the owner of the copyright, similarly I've seen the same removals on youtube. Obviously copy-right violation is a huge issue on the internet, especially in the music industry. But it's most difficult to claim ownership of music since the basic principles of melody and intervals are so similar.

I would say qigong is the same -- the "small universe" or "microcosmic orbit" practice is the foundation of Spring Forest Qigong and you only need the audio c.d. to guide the practice -- if you want. Otherwise you can use the scribd book from Mantak Chia.

If you want to practice on an advanced level then you'd want to follow the book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality."

Good luck in your practice.

are there any good sources for learning the microcosmic orbit that don't involve obscure books not on sale that tell me not to learn from the book? It's very off putting.

Again the best practice tool is not the book but the C.D. -- which you can order for $10 (plus shipping) or you can download for free -- the Level 1 sitting meditation c.d. http://springforestqigong.com

As for the book - - Mantak Chia's FIRST book is his best -- because it's very concrete detailed information mainly from the students reporting back their experiences in the training. It's the scribd link I gave -- that's the whole book to read for free:

Awaken the Healing Energy of Light.

You can also order it if you want.

are there any good sources for learning the microcosmic orbit that don't involve obscure books not on sale that tell me not to learn from the book? It's very off putting.

Again the best practice tool is not the book but the C.D. -- which you can order for $10 (plus shipping) or you can download for free -- the Level 1 sitting meditation c.d. http://springforestqigong.com

As for the book - - Mantak Chia's FIRST book is his best -- because it's very concrete detailed information mainly from the students reporting back their experiences in the training. It's the scribd link I gave -- that's the whole book to read for free:

Awaken the Healing Energy of Light.

You can also order it if you want.

That scribd link will be another pirate copy and the book says don't do this without proper instruction first.

The CD is not available in the UK.

Sign in to follow this