Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

• On a couple of occasions, I have  experienced the visual sensations of blue light against my closed eyelids others have talked about. One time I got the distinct impression I was looking at a blue ball of fire hovering over the surface of water. It was quite beautiful, and I must confess I've probably spent too much energy wishing for more conspicuous signs like this one.

This is a wonderful experience and is present in all the meditations that I perform. It is much like having an old friend come and visit.

Moonbeam Splashes on the Water is one of my favourite standing meditations as well, and was the beginning for my time shifting experiences as well. Now most meditations have the time shift feel (30 min feels like 5 min).

• Like 2

Hi, so i read that one of the meditations in DVD 7 was good for helping you sleep, im trying to sort out my sleeping pattern so i thought i would buy the 7th DVD.

I looked on amazon.co.uk and i dont think it is there, anyone know the best place to purchase it in the uk?

Thanks

Haven't posted in a long time, in spite of practicing, so I wanted to check in and share some of my experiences.

I started FP in June of last year, following the training regimen on Sifu Terry's website. I've continued and worked my way through the 2 intermediate forms, practicing every day with a few exceptions. I should add that I went ahead and bought volume 7, the advanced MSW, and have practiced those alongside the beginning and intermediate forms. I haven't started the long form or anything from volume 5.

So all together, I've been practicing regularly for about 10 months. April 1 is when I will begin practicing the long form every day, and I must say that I'm really looking forward to it! Here are some random observations, in no particular order:

• Sifu Terry said in the beginning to find the particular meditation you were drawn to and practice it first. For me, this was the 3rd MSW warmup. I still do that any time throughout the day I just need to get out of my routine and breathe a little bit. I guess I've done that one more than any of the others.
  • On a couple of occasions, I have experienced the visual sensations of blue light against my closed eyelids others have talked about. One time I got the distinct impression I was looking at a blue ball of fire hovering over the surface of water. It was quite beautiful, and I must confess I've probably spent too much energy wishing for more conspicuous signs like this one.
  • The 50-20-10 MSW is indeed great for sleep! When I practice that one very slowly, I sleep amazingly well and wake up with an almost sensuous feeling of being blanketed in vital energy. This often lasts well into the afternoon.
  • Moonbeam Splashes on the Water is out of this world. I don't know how else to describe it. With all of the meditations I've learned, the first few times practicing it were slightly awkward, and then around the 4th time I would "find my groove." Then, it was easier to slow down, and the moves would kind of do themselves (to borrow a phrase from another poster). But Moonbeam took that to another level entirely. The second time I did it, it was like time slowed down. The moves were just so smooth and effortless, it was like the meditation was doing me (keep the snickering to a minimum, please).
  • This is going to be a strange comparison, but the effects of Moonbeam are almost like a drug. I've had no experiences with drugs in my life, other than a prescription painkiller I was given after surgery several years ago. I was researching the effects of the drug class (it was an opioid), and the wikipedia page said that one of the reasons people became addicted to them was that they produced "an intense feeling of well-being." And when I took them after my surgery, I understood what they meant. Thankfully, I've had no need for any more surgery, so that feeling of "intense well-being" was repeated for the first time while I was practicing Moonbeam. It felt like a drug. I became acutely aware of my circulatory system, and imagined some strange new chemical process working its way through my veins and arteries. If I become addicted to this shen gong, I'm happy to consider myself an addict! Moonbeam produces feelings in me of peace, bliss, altitude, and just a sense that everything is perfect exactly as it is.
I haven't read the past couple dozen pages of this thread, but I'm looking forward to taking some time tonight and catching up.

Special thanks again to Sifu Terry and Doo Wai for making these available!

Hi ZiRan,

Thank you for posting your recent experiences with FP Qigong over your ten months of practice. Here are my comments (in blue italic) on your comments:

• Sifu Terry said in the beginning to find the particular meditation you were drawn to and practice it first. For me, this was the 3rd MSW warmup. I still do that any time throughout the day I just need to get out of my routine and breathe a little bit. I guess I've done that one more than any of the others.

Great that you found that one of the MSW Warm-ups to be a favorite. As all practitioners eventually find out, simply by continuing to practice the FP Qigong system regularly, the "warm-up" meditations in Volume 2 are not that "basic" at all. IN comparison to so much--way too much--of the made-up stuff/ bad calisthenics peddled out there as "Qigong". The Warm-Up Meditations in Vol.2 are light years ahead in terms of having healthful and rejuvenating effect.

• On a couple of occasions, I have experienced the visual sensations of blue light against my closed eyelids others have talked about. One time I got the distinct impression I was looking at a blue ball of fire hovering over the surface of water. It was quite beautiful, and I must confess I've probably spent too much energy wishing for more conspicuous signs like this one.

Congratulations on seeing the blue FP Healing Energy. Sooner or later, for all practitioners, it (seeing the phenomenon) comes. But because it is a subjective experience, however repeatable by each practitioner, we cannot discuss it until one has experienced it. Perhaps down the road, if enough practitioners have the time, we can start a separate discussion thread on "Seeing the Blue", which would explore all the healing effects that come with that seeing.

• The 50-20-10 MSW is indeed great for sleep! When I practice that one very slowly, I sleep amazingly well and wake up with an almost sensuous feeling of being blanketed in vital energy. This often lasts well into the afternoon.

Yes, indeed, the 50-20-10 was appropriately nicknamed by me as "The Sleeper". The fact that induces deep, restful sleep is verified by everyone who has practiced it. I'm impressed that your practice in only 10 months has reached the point where that soothing, sensuous, and blissful experience of the body's self-healing process lasts well into your afternoons. The ideal form of practice is one that attains and maintains a constant state of energized higher consciousness.

Moonbeam Splashes on the Water is out of this world. I don't know how else to describe it. With all of the meditations I've learned, the first few times practicing it were slightly awkward, and then around the 4th time I would "find my groove." Then, it was easier to slow down, and the moves would kind of do themselves (to borrow a phrase from another poster). But Moonbeam took that to another level entirely. The second time I did it, it was like time slowed down. The moves were just so smooth and effortless, it was like the meditation was doing me (keep the snickering to a minimum, please).

ZiRan, congrats again. Your practice of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" has been correct and effective... for what you've experienced--the feeling of time slowing down to the point of being in no-time-- is what Castaneda calls "stopping the world."

It is the state of clear, one-pointed consciousness strived for by all mediation/yoga traditions in the world, most popularly described in the West in terms of the Zen or Chan Buddhist literary traditions. That you have experienced what you have described through the practice of "Moonbeam" lets me know that you have very clear, unobstructed energy flow along your spine, from the sacrum to the crown of the head. Now you know why the Indian yogic traditions calls that center the "crown chakra."  

**And to be quite honest, I have been waiting patiently for months for FP practitioners to report precise and definitive effects from their practice of "Moonbeam Splashes on Water."  Yours is the first authentic report verifying proficiency in this exercise in 5.25 years of this thread. So that is why I am saying, "Congratulations!"!!

Concomitant and requisite with "stopping the world" is practicing "Moonbeam" in accord with the Tai Chi maxim for form practice: "the mind moves the chi, and the chi moves the body." This process of frictionless movement is the goal of form practice in Flying Phoenix, Tai Chi Chuan, Liu He Ba Fa, and all Chinese internal martial arts. Attaining the level of practice where you cannot tell whether it is you doing it (the form) or it doing itself through you is of wonderful and profound significance because it causes you to consider who the "real" You is. Having practiced "Moonbeam" to this sublime automatic state means that you have set foot on your "ground of being"--and I DON'T MEAN poor ol' Paul Tillich's "ground of being"!!

Rather, this is the state of a Yoga "well done"--and the true functional meaning of the term, "kung-fu"--as described by my favorite western philosopher-alchemist:

Consciousness is a symptom of dis-ease. All that move well moves without will. All skillfulness, all strain, all intention is contrary to ease. Practice a thousand times, and it becomes difficult; A thousand thousand, and it becomes easy; a thousand thousand times a thousand thousand, and it is no longer Thou that doeth it, but It that doeth itself through thee. Not until then is that which is done well done.

Aleister Crowley, 1913, Founder, Ordo Templi Orientis

• This is going to be a strange comparison, but the effects of Moonbeam are almost like a drug. I've had no experiences with drugs in my life, other than a prescription painkiller I was given after surgery several years ago. I was researching the effects of the drug class (it was an opioid), and the wikipedia page said that one of the reasons people became addicted to them was that they produced "an intense feeling of well-being." And when I took them after my surgery, I understood what they meant. Thankfully, I've had no need for any more surgery, so that feeling of "intense well-being" was repeated for the first time while I was practicing Moonbeam. It felt like a drug. I became acutely aware of my circulatory system, and imagined some strange new chemical process working its way through my veins and arteries. If I become addicted to this shen gong, I'm happy to consider myself an addict! Moonbeam produces feelings in me of peace, bliss, altitude, and just a sense that everything is perfect exactly as it is.

Not a strange comparison at all, ZiRan:

Yes, proper practice of FP Qigong will sooner or later impart the feeling of "intense well-being". All authentic Qigong will develop in one the state of optimal self-healing and perfect mind-body and man-Universe harmony where one cannot believe how good it feels to be alive. A good term for this condition is "bliss". (Unfortunately, of course, if you've lived as long as I have [i.e., through the 1980's and that idiotic New Age barnyard, the term "bliss" has been hackneyed to the point of meaninglessness.] But thanks to FP Qigong in your case, you now know what "bliss" means!

In contrast to your background, I had plenty of experience with drugs throughout my adolescence and college years--being one of the baby-boomer generation. Fortunately, my experience (starting in college) with simple meditation and with authentic Qigong systems such as Flying Phoenix Qigong and Tao Tai Pai Neikung naturally imparted states of BLISS and transcendental states of consciousness that no drug-induced experience from my past can ever hold a candle to in terms of enjoyment, physical well-being, At-Onement, and All-knowing, what some yogins starting in the 1960's called Cosmic Consciousness. (In fact, during the 80's when cocaine was everywhere in this country, my practice back then of Tao Tan Pai Nei-kung was so cleansing bio-chemically (and so polishing spiritually) that indulging in cocaine whenever it was offered, did absolutely nothing for me. Absolutely nothing. So after about 5-6 totally bland and unremarkable experiences, I declined it every time it was offered. And I happened to have been given the highest quality stuff by my musician friends.)

​While it was unfortunate that you had to have surgery to repair your injury, the silver lining there is that you have that pain-killer drug experience to compare and contrast your FP Qigong-induced physical states and meditative states of consciousness to.

FP practice is a most healthy "addiction" and it is something that you can never do too much of. One's mind-body will continue to evolve with FP practice throughout one's lifetime. One can reach a state of practice where just by doing the breath-control sequences--without the postures or movements--will access the reserve of FP Healing Energy accumulated throughout one's years of practice.

**Yes, FP Qigong can be described as a "Shen kung"--at intermediate and advanced levels of practice. I continue to refer to FP Qigong as a medical Qigong method because "Shen kung" in the Tao Tan Pai tradition are very specific exercises that cultivate the "Shen" or psychic awareness--or the pure speculative aspect of action. And TTP is renowned in the Chinese martial arts world for its heavy emphasis on Shen development. Proper FP practice, as you've experienced, does lead to highly cultivated Shen Chi.

In conclusion:

Well done, Moonbeam Addict ZiRan!

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.  Happy Easter to all.

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 7

Anyone interested in joining a weekly flying phoenix class in los angeles led by Sifu Terry send me a private message.

Edited by growant
  • Like 1

This morning I had a stiff feeling in my neck and shoulders. I started moving the warmup meditation 2. deep calm I felt the energy slowly through this area. Then I'm going to do MSW 90-80-50-20 to awaken. Now I'm fit again. I decided to do the morning FPQ for the duration of one hour. In the evening I do Bak Fu Sunn Yee Gung, and in the summer I combine that with Flying Phoenix Heavenly Sword. But here FPQ creates major changes, the body, the mind and the life setting

• Like 1

Sifu Terry , I would really love to learn TTP and I saw you teach it by skype , how many moves and levels is there ?

also , my main problem is my pc refuses to work with webcams , can I still watch you on skype if I dont have a cam ?

• Like 1

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for asking!

SYG is a very beautiful system. It is healing but in the form you must know the fighting application so you do the movements with the right intent. The movements and the breath percentages make it feel simular to FPQ but as a student I can say I built up the energy in a other way. Much support by Sifu Christer from Sweden and Sifu Garry from Australia. I am now offical a student of the WBBM and Sifu Christer is my teacher. He will visite me when I reach level 5 (becoming an instructor) he will give a seminar in the Netherlands. So I am searching here people who want to become a student (not as easy as I thought).

• Like 2

Sounds great John , I have tried level one and the sitting meds aswell , feels like a different energy to that of FP.

Feels thicker to me.

Do you practice martial arts ?

Do you think SYG is a good form even if you do not practice martial arts ?

So when people get to level 5 they can become an instructor ?

sorry for so many questyions , just really interested ;)

• Like 1

No problem Bruce. I've done 13 years of Aikido. It helps if you can work from your Hara and you are able  to use your body to increase a stroke but  I think with a lot of practice, you can also integrate this knowledge. To become an instructor you should be admitted as a student of the WBBM. A Sifu will have to allow you as  a student and you will have to train with him personally. I put together a studygroup in the Netherlands, train together (I do not teach) and Sifu Christer will come to the Netherlands. I will have to do a test to be admitted as an instructor for level 1 to 5. I  post on facebook regulary clips of my training in the closed group of WBBM. Sifu Christer and Garry correct thinks. But training in person with Sifu Christer is important. When you have done Level 1 and SYG 1 then you can begin with level 2. Keep up the good work

• Like 1

after three years of practice I feel cheated  because I never have the blue light ..  LOL   I see lots of green lights, red lights (mostly when driving)  ..

Once I thought I had a purple light  but that was illusory. 

for those how have it  good for you ... as for me   in fact I do not feel cheated    just lucky to come upon FP 

today's long form   26 + minutes   

yesterday  ASM  2 &  3   ....  very intense  sensations in fingers, wrists and internal 'circulation' of dantian  qi ... 

After a lapse of some years I have also re-established  a strong almost continuous buzz/vibration at the Bai Hui during execution of the ASM's

hopefully  meng min vibes will also return soon!!

Peace to all beings

• Like 2

John , haha , no worries mate , just meant I would like to carry on this conversation but maybe best if we carry it over to the SYG thread :)

Today, in paying tribute on Facebook to the late Reverend Gardner C. Taylor, a great voice in American civil rights, who passed away this past Sunday at the age of 96, I came across on Youtube his sermon on 2 Corinthians 3:18, in which the Apostle St. Paul subtly transmits a very esoteric yoga method that we practice in Tao Tan Pai Nei Kung:

But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image, from glory to glory, even as by the spirit of the Lord.

-- 2 Corinthians 3:18

Rest in Peace, Reverend Taylor

Edited by zen-bear

And speaking of the "unveiled face...":

Over the past 3+ years, quite a number of FP practitioners before and after they came to Los Angeles to get personal instruction from me in Flying Phoenix Qigong—and also one, I recall, who posted his confession on this thread--came clean and unveiled the fact that they had been practicing the FP Qigong using downloaded copies of the Chi Kung For Health DVD programs from pirate websites.  In due course, they purchased the DVD’s from me and then I proceeded to teach them.  And after another couple of confessions that just came in this month, I'm finally prompted to take this opportunity to post a (no-brainer) reminder about basic morality to everyone following this thread and interested in the practice of Flying Phoenix Qigong.  

[This reminder includes copyrighted excerpts (in bold or italics or both) from my forthcoming book on FP Qigong:]

There is an old Chinese saying:  

"When the wrong man uses the right means, the right means work in the wrong way."

And this universal truth about human nature and man's karma certainly applies to the practice of a spiritually transformative yogic art such is Flying Phoenix Qigong or any complete Chinese internal art. 

Similarly, this adage was coined by my most influential senior school brother (Da-Sihing) in the Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Kung Fu, the late Kung Fu Master John Davidson: 

"The wrong person even with the right knowledge will come to no good end.  But the right person even with the wrong (or incomplete) knowledge will make it work."  

Thus honesty is the prime prerequisite for Flying Phoenix Qigong to work property--besides being an absolute necessity to make one’s life work, go smoothly and to progress on any spiritual path (as opposed to creating bad karma and allowing them to mount into karmic debts).

This is so fundamentally true in all authentic Yogic traditions, spiritual paths, civilized societies, and life in general that it should never have to be mentioned.  But due to the worldwide reach of this blogsite, and the greedy hunger for occult knowledge by neophytes--baby brujo’s and baby bruja’s out there, as well as hardened witches and warlocks, and the great temptations of the present digital age causing generations new and old to feel entitled to steal and pilfer information of all kinds from expensively produced media products that have been made available on pirate websites, I’ve decided to spell out the simple and obvious truth about practicing honesty this one time.

The following is an array of some of my favorite Eastern proverbs that spell out in vivid detail the reasons why one should be honest in one’s day to day life…and conquer the temptation to break the Eighth Commandment (--in this case by using pirated copies of the Flying Phoenix Qigong DVD’s  or any other commercial program, and for that matter, including published music--and thereby deprive their creators--including yours truly-- of a meager livelihood based on recouping the value of their hard creative work and financial investments).

I.  This first section are relevant "elegant sayings" by the great Tibetan yogin Nargajuna explaining how and why it is so grossly inefficacious and ultimately futile to try to exploit Knowledge acquired by theft:

Meditation without Knowledge, though giving results for awhile, 

Will, in the end, be devoid of true success;

One may melt gold and silver completely,

But once the fire be gone they grow hard again.

• As for accumulating one Qigong exercise after another and then attempting to acquire one Qigong system after another on one's own, without the guidance of a superior teacher:

Although a cloth be washed a hundred times,

How can it be rendered clean and pure

If it be washed in after which is dirty?

• You can be either sacred or profane in your practices.  There is nothing in between!!]

The Supreme Path of Altruism is a short-cut,

Leading to the Realm of Conquerors,--

A track more speedy than that of a racing horse;**

The selfish, however, know naught of it.

Flying Phoenix Qigong itself is such an easy-to-do practice yet  so powerful a spiritual catalyst;  imagine how much more speedy a track one creates towards Understanding by combining it with the altruistic life.  Then imagine how retarded and regressive a long-cut one's path becomes if one chooses greed over altruism.

The karmic repercussions of living by lies instead of truth are described in Taoist, Chan Buddhist and Tibetan Buddhist scriptures with colorfully accurate similes:

"To know the moral precepts and not apply them to the cure of obscuring passions is to be like a diseased man carrying a bag of medicine which he never seeth; and this is a grievous failure."   

"To live hypocritically produces self-imposed trouble as doth a person who putteth poison in his own food."  

"Man excelleth the beast by engaging in religious practices.

So why should a man, if he be without religion, not be equal to the beast?"

"Shamelessly to misappropriate offering which have been dedicated to the guru or to the Trinity (the Buddhist trinity is the Buddha, the Dharma, and the Sangha (priesthood)) produces self-imposed trouble as doth a child swallowing live coals."  

This last proverb is a most relevant warning here because: 

(A)  Flying Phoenix Qigong is a spiritual art with divine origins that came through Feng Tao Teh and the monastic tradition at Ehrmeishan. The profoundly supramundane healing effects of Flying Phoenix make it so obviously this type of a divine gift from Heaven to man;  most FP practitioners find it very hard to imagine that this marvelous yogic art was created by a human being.  

(B ) Flying Phoenix Qigong was given and blessed to humanity by Grandmaster Doo Wai (through yours truly) after being kept secret within his family lineage for six generations.

©  As a most powerful healing and meditation Dharma in and of itself, it can further all Dharmas--Taoist, Buddhist, Christian, Hindu... all Dharmas.

Sifu Terence Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Sifu Terry , I would really love to learn TTP and I saw you teach it by skype , how many moves and levels is there ?

also , my main problem is my pc refuses to work with webcams , can I still watch you on skype if I dont have a cam ?

Hi Bruce,

Yes, I teach both Tao Tan Pai and FP Qigong as well as other arts via Skype.

No, it is impossible to use Skype of FaceTime without a webcam and computer or webcam and tablet.

As a possible solution:  most if not all public libraries in  U.S. cities have desktop PC's that you can use freely or rent cheaply by the hour--which can be used to Skype, if you don't violate the libraries' sound-making rules.

Tao Tan Pai has the following levels:

Basic Kung Fu Forms (includes weapons)

Advanced Kung Fu Forms (includes weapons)

Basic 31 TTP Meditations

Shen Exercises

Nine Flowers

Six Stars

Five Dragons

In order to learn the last 3 levels (top 3 levels)--9 Flowers, 6 Stars, 5 Dragons--one  must master the Basic TTP 5 Animal Kung Fu Forms and the Basic 31.

Sifu Terence Dunn

• Like 1

Quick question for those who have ordered from Interarts Productions.  Can you tell me what the usual turn-around time might be on an order?  I placed mine two weeks ago and have yet to receive it.

Not complaining by any means...would just like to get started after all the reading I've done!

• Like 1

Quick question for those who have ordered from Interarts Productions.  Can you tell me what the usual turn-around time might be on an order?  I placed mine two weeks ago and have yet to receive it.

Not complaining by any means...would just like to get started after all the reading I've done!

Hi Ace,

Turnaround on DVD orders is very quick:  2 to 4 days max.  We typically ship them the day we receive the order.  International orders take 4-8 days.  

Thanks for your interest.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Many thanks for the e-mail address and advice, John,

Sifu Terry:  I just sent you an e-mail to the e-mail address that John referenced regarding the order that I placed two weeks ago.

Hope to be training soon!  :)

• Like 1

This morning, halfway through my Sat. Tai Chi Class, I inserted this 20- minute FP Qigong break that enhanced the practice considerably:

One round each of:

Wind Above the Clouds

Wind Through Treetops

Moonbeam Splashes on Water

Before break:

2 rounds of GM William C.C. Chen's 60-part Yang Form.

1 round Yang Long Form

After FP break:

4 rounds of Yang Straight Sword Form

30 min. Tui-shou.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

This evening, in my FP Qigong class, I taught the following 40-minute warm-up module consisting of

1.  Cloud hands in bow stance, both sides - 12 minutes

2.  Tao Tan Pai "Power Yoga" consisting of:

a.  Circling Palms (2 sets of 8)

b.  Tao Tan Pai 2nd exercise

c.  Tao Tan Pai 3rd exercise

d.  Tao Tan Pai seated meditation No. 16 (Buddha's seat).

--followed by this sequence of FP Meditations:  

A.  Seated "Warm-up" Meditation   50  30  10     (5 min.)

B.  Seated "Warm-up" Meditation   5  60  80  40  30   (12 min.)

C.  Monk Gazing At Moon  (7 min.)

D.  Monk Holding Peach     (7 min.)

E.  Bending the Bows          (15 min.)

F.   Wind Above the Clouds     (5 min.)

G.  Monk Serves Wine seated Meditation  90 80 50 20 ("the waker upper")--7 rounds.   (15 min.)

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 2

Hi, i have recieved the 7th FP dvd and wanted to know which of the seated meditations is supposed to help with sleep... ive been looking through the thread but haven't found out where it was mentioned.

Thank you

• Like 1