Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Sifu Terry -

Thanks so much for providing the links to some worthwhile reading on meditation. Left to my own devices, my experience is quality written material on meditation is difficult to find! I'm looking forward to reading your recommended documents over the weekend.

As always, we very much appreciate your advice and counsel as we progress in our practice of Flying Phoenix. I am enjoying the journey!

SBTL - I just saw an earlier question that you had posted regarding practicing Flying Phoenix on the same day as you receive acupuncture. In my opinion, there are no problems to doing this provided you allow a two hour buffer between the two. Hope this helps!

There are several other post I would like to respond to however my time right now is limited. So, I will get back later with some more observations.

Good practicing,

Fu_dog

• Like 1

Hi TLB: yes, I owned 2 Gosami books and read very little of them and soon gave them away. I think it was just too heady for me. I want to comment on your cats reacting to the energy they sense from FP. I believe I have shared this already with Sifu Terry perhaps via email. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi who brought Transcendental Meditation to the West kept getting reports from people who did TM that their dogs and cats loved to be in the same room when they meditated. I know that my dog in the 1970's had to be shaken at times to wake her up after I finished meditating since she went into this unusually deep slumber. Maharishi eventually created research based on these experiences and found that one person doing TM creates brainwave coherence in 99 other people who don't even meditate. He called it the One Percent Effect and major replicated research documented this on a large scale, even sending groups of TMers into current war zones and then documenting that the wars decreased when they increased the usual number of meditation sessions per day. We were told not to pet our dogs and cats right after meditating because some of that energy would transfer directly to the pet! I suspect the furry ones are not seeking affection, but the direct energy from these subtle energy methods such as FP and deep meditation. My dog knew the word meditation and would race ahead of me to the bedroom when I told her let's go meditate. I have been enjoying reading about Taoist meditation via "The Secret of the Golden Flower." I would have no clue what it is describing if it was not for my experiences from TM and the genius level of teaching from Maharishi. It is an amazing book that I read at least 30 yrs ago but it is so much more understandable reading it now. Tonite I will order Evan-Wentz book since if Sifu Terry recommends it,then I know it is going to be a trip! I have several of the books from Sifu's recommended reading list and they are treasures. Just one more reason to be grateful for how much Sifu Terry continues to give to us.

Steve

Edited by tao mist
  • Like 2

Hello to Fu_dog, TLB, Tao Mist, and Jeramiah Z, sbtl nrg, and others.

**Also, a very useful and profound guide to meditation is found in the section of the W.Y. Evans-Wentz book, "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines", titles "Precepts of the Gurus." This book, btw, is required reading for all my students (even though I teach Taoist meditative disciplines).**

Good practicing!!

Sifu Terry Dunn

Well, I have just ordered this book, so looking forward to receiving it. The reviews on Amazon look interesting !

In other news;

I was practising Wind Through the Tree Tops this morning, after a nice warm up on the first four standing meditations from Volume One. As I worked with it, I literally felt a breeze of energy blow through me. 'Breeze' was the perfect word to describe it. It was strong enough for me to marvel at the experience, for a while afterwards. It wasn't a flow, or the usual feeling of energy movement. It really was a breeze.

Then it occured to me, that the name is perhaps a hint to that experience.

So is it named, in an inscrutable Chinese fashion, with the name bearing no relationship to the practice, or does Wind Through the Tree Tops actually describe the experience of this 'inner breeze' ?

Interesting !

I love FP !

• Like 1

Hi TLB: yes, I owned 2 Gosami books and read very little of them and soon gave them away. I think it was just too heady for me. I want to comment on your cats reacting to the energy they sense from FP. I believe I have shared this already with Sifu Terry perhaps via email. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi who brought Transcendental Meditation to the West kept getting reports from people who did TM that their dogs and cats loved to be in the same room when they meditated. I know that my dog in the 1970's had to be shaken at times to wake her up after I finished meditating since she went into this unusually deep slumber. Maharishi eventually created research based on these experiences and found that one person doing TM creates brainwave coherence in 99 other people who don't even meditate. He called it the One Percent Effect and major replicated research documented this on a large scale, even sending groups of TMers into current war zones and then documenting that the wars decreased when they increased the usual number of meditation sessions per day. We were told not to pet our dogs and cats right after meditating because some of that energy would transfer directly to the pet! I suspect the furry ones are not seeking affection, but the direct energy from these subtle energy methods such as FP and deep meditation. My dog knew the word meditation and would race ahead of me to the bedroom when I told her let's go meditate. I have been enjoying reading about Taoist meditation via "The Secret of the Golden Flower." I would have no clue what it is describing if it was not for my experiences from TM and the genius level of teaching from Maharishi. It is an amazing book that I read at least 30 yrs ago but it is so much more understandable reading it now. Tonite I will order Evan-Wentz book since if Sifu Terry recommends it,then I know it is going to be a trip! I have several of the books from Sifu's recommended reading list and they are treasures. Just one more reason to be grateful for how much Sifu Terry continues to give to us.

Steve

Hi Steve

Fascinating post. Thanks for your continuing contribution to the thread.

I have noticed, as a healer, that cats will always make a determined effort to get as close as possible to healing. If I do a home visit, and a cat is present, it will literally tear a door down to get to me, and be close while I am healing. I think cats are very attuned to healing energy, and resonate with it, hence its attraction. As FP is a healing art, I would assume it has the same effect, and TM must be the same.

Interestingly, my Doberman completely respects my personal space while I meditate or practice FP. He stays a respectful distance away, and walks around quietly until the session finishes. But he knows exactly when its finished, even if I don't move, indicating to me that he feels the energy, and reacts to it.

Hi TLB

Well, I can't offer any good advice, but I too suffer with half lotus.

I can manage an hour, and the first 30-40 minutes are ok. But then it gets worse and worse. Eventually, when I finish, I have to take five minutes standing up, and it takes another ten minutes to walk normally. I am pretty flexible, but I think 29 years of cycle racing have created legs that don't bend so well, and thighs that are way too big for half lotus. So lots of pain, especially after. And like you, I am not afraid of pain.....but I know the point where good pain becomes bad pain.

I tend to think that if I persevere, things will improve, but so far, they haven't. I live in hope.....

So not as bad as you, but I suspect I would get more from the seated positions if, as I go past 40 minutes, I had less tension. I love the seated meditations, and love the feel of the energy. But it says numerous times in this thread, that the half lotus is the preferred position, so thats why I stick with it.

Over time, I am sure my hips will become more flexible. I'd love to be able to sit in half, or even full lotus, for hours, and feel relaxed.

I think, from my personal experience, that the seated meditations are an essential component of the FP process, so it would be a shame to miss out on them !

Thanks, Jeramiah. I don't disagree at all, and perseverance is the key...I'm just trying to get to the point where I'm even capable of holding that half-lotus through a whole exercise - I can barely get through the breathing sequence before the "bad pain" kicks in, and it doesn't seem right to interrupt at that point in order to shift. Therein lie my questions.

But again, even with all the distractions and pains, I still feel better the day after...I can't imagine a better proof of the power of these meditations!

tlb

Edited by TLB

Steve and Jeramiah,

Great to hear both of you confirming the animals' reactions! I've been fascinated with my cat's - she's normally a rather frenetic little critter even though she's not young. As to her coming in for "energy" vs. "affection" - I guess I'd say that the energy factor is influencing her style. The difference is in her staying back until I've finished, and then coming to me so calmly: if I'm doing some form of workout - or anything else - she's under my feet, meowing and demanding, when she's ready to be noticed. With FP she sits back and watches and waits, then comes in close and will sit quietly with me as long as I'll sit. I learned TM in the 70's, too - interestingly enough, none of my cats has ever reacted to those meditations.

Purrs to all,

tlb

Hi Steve

Fascinating post. Thanks for your continuing contribution to the thread.

I have noticed, as a healer, that cats will always make a determined effort to get as close as possible to healing. If I do a home visit, and a cat is present, it will literally tear a door down to get to me, and be close while I am healing. I think cats are very attuned to healing energy, and resonate with it, hence its attraction. As FP is a healing art, I would assume it has the same effect, and TM must be the same.

Interestingly, my Doberman completely respects my personal space while I meditate or practice FP. He stays a respectful distance away, and walks around quietly until the session finishes. But he knows exactly when its finished, even if I don't move, indicating to me that he feels the energy, and reacts to it.

Hello Steve and Adrian,

Yes, I have seen cats gravitate towards psychic/energy healing, but especially to healing with the FP energy and also to simple FP Qigong practice. Cats can sense the Flying Phoenix cultivation once it kicks in, and, as far as I can tell from casual observation over the years, they like it. I spent from June 23 to July 8 house-sitting for friends in Santa Monica, CA and their cat Zora always came down to nest around my feet when I was doing standing FP Meditations or sit by my side or against my lower back when I was doing seated FP Meditations. Some dogs--smart ones--can be very energy-attuned as well. For the past several years, my middle-aged English beagle, Obie, would often (not always--but when he was in a mellow mood--for a hound is a hound) lie down prone between my feet right while I was doing FP Standing Meditations and sit either against my thigh or against my lower back/sacrum when I was in half-lotus practicing the FP Seated MSW meditations. Healing is an act of compassion and universal love. Some of "Man's best friends" and cats by and large know very well what is the most important energy is in the Universe.

I'm not sure if I posted this account previously, but back in 1977 or 1978, when I was living in the Los Feliz hills of Los Angeles, one very,very foggy night I was practicing Tao Tan Pai Qigong called "Circling Palms" standing in a horse-riding stance on my carport when I heard the pitter--patter of little animal feet cross the road above my driveway, and then come down the driveway that was to my left. The fog was thick as soup and I could not see more than 6 feet in any direction. The sound of animal footsteps ceased. Then i saw emerge from the white fog a little black animal head. And then shoulders and front legs then part of its torso. But I couldn't make out what type of animal it was. It was too big for squirrel, definitely not a rabbit (which were very common there). Then he walks a few more steps from left to right in my field of vision and i see emerge from the misty fog this large black plume of tail that seemed longer than the length of the animal's body--and has a big white stripe running down its the length. I very coolly continued to do the circling palms but couldn't help keeping an eye on my visitor. He came closer...right up to my left knee. I glanced down at him and it was at that point that I recall that I actually prayed: "Oh Lord, please don't have this skunk spray me". After sniffing my knee for a second, nature's Qigong Master, Pepe la Pieu, finished his inspection of my form and vanished into the fog, trotting down the steps to the right and away into the brush. I thanked God for answering my small request.

Sifu Terry

I received this email from mk680 who has been on this thread in the past and who's moved from NYC to So. Korea. I thought his situation and my answer to his questions regarding mixing beginners' FP Chi Kung practice with other martial arts training might be of interest:

Sent Today, 06:46 AM

Hi Sifu Terry,

This is Mark Kim the person from NYC who saw you in 2010 for some private lessons in Los Angeles. I just wanted to let you know that I have been feeling better in my back. I think the flying phoenix started me on great path towards qigong. However, I did stop for 2 years because of all the pain it caused. The spontaneous movements kept jerking my body in painful directions. You and I had talked about this in great discussion. That is when you referred me to Sifu Garry. I did learn another qigong style in NY and it has got me to a point where i can start doing martial arts again.

Lately, I have been getting this feeling to start the flying phoenix series again. One thing where with my qigong practice is that I don't think it will help me get 100% pain free. It's weird how after these doubts manifested, the thoughts of doing the flying phoenix sets appeared.

I have actually moved to South Korea and started bagua and sun style tai chi. You were right in your forum that if one practices chi kung and kung fu together the effects are amplified. I wanted to ask you some basic questions that I forgot about flying phoenix qigong.

Regarding the breath percentage, for Monk Gazing at Moon the breath percentage is 60 40 20. When i begin with breath of 60% can I count in my head 60-50-40-30-20-10-0? Or do I go 10-20-30-40-50-60? Does it matter? Sorry for this basic question. Also, can I do the flying phoenix sets after my tai chi, bagua practice? I wanted to combine them together. I read in the forums that in your tai chi class you would do the tai chi and flying phoenix in one class. I assumed they are compatible with one another. In our private lessons, we also combined the tao tan pai and flying phoenix together. I just wanted to double check with you.

I hope your lawsuit is going well and when I come back to LA to visit my parents, I would like to get together again and learn more stuff from you.

thank you,

Mark Kim

Sent Today, 07:07 PM

Hello Mark,

Nice to hear from you. Yes, I know that the involuntary vibratory effects of the FP Meditations can sometimes cause pain due to your impacted lower spinal nerves. There are ways to consciously modulate the FP vibratory states (a gradual process that uses methods also found in advanced Tai Chi Chuan), but that's a Catch-22 as that ability entails more practice of FPCK. Perhaps when you get back to So. Calif. on your next trip we'll see if you can practice more of the FP Qigong without causing pain. But I'm very glad to hear that you're feeling much better and are able to practice Bagua and Sun style Tai Chi in So. Korea. Sun Style (as I've seen practiced) is a very good practice for you given your back condition.

To answer your questions:

Regarding the breath percentage, for Monk Gazing at Moon the breath percentage is 60 40 20. When i begin with breath of 60% can I count in my head 60-50-40-30-20-10-0? Or do I go 10-20-30-40-50-60? Does it matter? Sorry for this basic question.

A. No problem with asking a basic question since you've been away from FP practice for a while. To exhale 60% as the first part of the Monk Gazing at Moon breath control sequence, it doesn't matter whether you count 6/10 of your breath capacity starting from 10% going up to 60% or 100% back down to 40%. To perform the percentage exhalations, as explained very early in the FPCK thread, I recommend, as does Sifu Hearfield, to mentally calibrate your full breath capacity into ten parts. (That's sort of why you take the three deep breathes in the beginning [so you know how long you take and how it feels to take the fullest inhalation possible]). Take many deep breathes--as deeply as you can--. Once you know you are breathing the deepest breath cycle possible, calibrate or divide the exhalation part of the breath into 10 gradations, counting "one potato, two potato, until you get to 10 potatoes." Then in order to exhale, let's say, 80% of your breath capacity, you just exhale counting one potato, two potato, three potato...until you do eight potatoes, and the inhale to the top of your breath capacity (the same "eight potatoes" duration as the exhalation) and then exhale fully (100%).

Also, can I do the flying phoenix sets after my tai chi, bagua practice? I wanted to combine them together. I read in the forums that in your tai chi class you would do the tai chi and flying phoenix in one class. I assumed they are compatible with one another.

Yes, you can do Flying Phoenix immediately following any martial arts training. It's a nice way to recover and heal, and to smooth out your energies. But bear in mind that if you want the martial energy and consciousness of the Bagua or the Tai Chi training to sink in or further permeate you body, you might want to give yourself a 20 or 30 minute break before you start FP Qigong. Because the moment you complete one of the FPCK breath control sequences, it ignites the FP Healing Energy that will eventually subsume and engulf whatever type of energy and consciousness is in your body-mind (--unless you are in fight-or-flight mode and your martial energy is adrenalized into action). So if you have to walk home from your Bagua studio through a bad neighborhood, as a beginner, don't do the FP Qigong if you need martial energy at the ready. As I posted some time ago, one Saturday morning class, after a long FP Qigong session covering all the Standing FP Meditations up through the Long Form Standing Med., when a student wanted to review the Tao Tan Pai Monkey Form (normally taught in a separate class), it took everyone extra effort to refocus the mind and switch-over one's body mechanics and energy from the mellow soothing, sublimely blissed-out FP healing mode into kung fu mode--especially after a group practice o where the cultivation of the Flying Phoenix Healing Chi is very synergistic. (I think I had accurately described a type of resistance where "the FP Energy didn't want to move that way".)

In the 90's I experimented a lot and sometimes used basic Monk Gazing At Moon and Monk Holding Pearl in my Tai Chi warm-up regimen because they are essentially Wu-Chi positions. Plus the FP energy helps students relax almost instantly and feel mind and body as one. But in recent years, I keep Tai Chi purely Tai Chi and don't mix in the FP Qigong in warm-ups, form practice, or Push-hands. If I do add FP Qigong to Tai Chi practice, it's at the very end of a complete Tai Chi practice to speed up recovery and to further make clear the mind.

Hope this answers your questions, Mark. Good luck with your Bagua and Tai Chi training.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

Hello Steve and Adrian,

I'm not sure if I posted this account previously, but back in 1977 or 1978, when I was living in the Los Feliz hills of Los Angeles, one very,very foggy night I was practicing Tao Tan Pai Qigong called "Circling Palms" standing in a horse-riding stance on my carport when I heard the pitter--patter of little animal feet cross the road above my driveway, and then come down the driveway that was to my left. The fog was thick as soup and I could not see more than 6 feet in any direction. The sound of animal footsteps ceased. Then i saw emerge from the white fog a little black animal head. And then shoulders and front legs then part of its torso. But I couldn't make out what type of animal it was. It was too big for squirrel, definitely not a rabbit (which were very common there). Then he walks a few more steps from left to right in my field of vision and i see emerge from the misty fog this large black plume of tail that seemed longer than the length of the animal's body--and has a big white stripe running down its the length. I very coolly continued to do the circling palms but couldn't help keeping an eye on my visitor. He came closer...right up to my left knee. I glanced down at him and it was at that point that I recall that I actually prayed: "Oh Lord, please don't have this skunk spray me". After sniffing my knee for a second, nature's Qigong Master, Pepe la Pieu, finished his inspection of my form and vanished into the fog, trotting down the steps to the right and away into the brush. I thanked God for answering my small request.

Sifu Terry

Luckily there are no skunks in the UK !

I do much of my practice in the garden, which looks onto a river, and ancient woodland beyond. In the last few months I have had various birds come land very close and watch me. Typically they are just normal garden birds, who will sit within an arms reach and watch. Recently, though, I have had a woodpecker, which are rare and quite shy of humans, and amazingly, a Kingfisher. These are especially shy, and most British people have never seen one. So 'something' draws them close to a human practicing Qigong.

Late last year, I had a mouse regularly come to my feet, which practicing ZZ.

A few days ago, amazingly, I had a mole come to my feet. My practice was interrupted for twenty minutes as I sat and watched him. He crawled across the lawn and snuffled around my feet, looking for food, I assume. Despite living my life in the country, I have never seen a live mole. He had no fear of me. It was an incredible experience. Not at all usual or normal.

So yes....Qigong, and especially the FP energy, is irresistible to animals.

• Like 1

A humble update...one more session and I'm on a different planet! I did all of Vol 1 and then the first 3 of Vol 2 - and was able to stay cross-legged throughout. Amazing. This isn't a new problem - that hip often locks up just sitting at my desk through the day - I'll get up and be unable to straighten up or walk immediately. Today I feel only the palest hint of that, and it's been going on for a couple of years! The Phoenix is flying indeed...

Steve, re my cat seeking the energy...I didn't mean to sound as if I was contradicting you, I think you're quite correct. I'm curious why the TM folks recommended you not pet your animals right after meditating. Why would that energy not be good for them?

Keeping on,

tlb

Edited by TLB
  • Like 1

A humble update...one more session and I'm on a different planet! I did all of Vol 1 and then the first 3 of Vol 2 - and was able to stay cross-legged throughout. Amazing. This isn't a new problem - that hip often locks up just sitting at my desk through the day - I'll get up and be unable to straighten up or walk immediately. Today I feel only the palest hint of that, and it's been going on for a couple of years! The Phoenix is flying indeed...

Steve, re my cat seeking the energy...I didn't mean to sound as if I was contradicting you, I think you're quite correct. I'm curious why the TM folks recommended you not pet your animals right after meditating. Why would that energy not be good for them?

Keeping on,

tlb

Hi TLB,

The energy from TM is great for the pets. But it is a loss of energy for the meditator! Maharishi was not prone to elaborate on those kind of things. I think this warning was given during the 3 days of checking following initiation or I heard it while on teacher training courses. From my personal experience this would not be noticed as any kind of loss from the meditator who petted the pet soon after meditation. I did not heed the advice that much as I let my dog in the same room with me whenever I meditated. This would certainly take place on a more subtle level beyond ordinary perception.

I now recall that we taught people to not have their pets in the same room while we meditated so that they would not disturb us and take us out of that deep state of relaxation beyond thoughts, satori, mukti, Oneness, sat chit ananada, etc,take your pick. But later we did hear that the dogs and cats could rob of us of that valuable subtle energy produced during those states of tranquil mind and body called Restful Alertness, Transcendental Consciousness, a fourth state of consciousness scientifically verified via a unique pattern of brain waves which I have seen for myself at the Americal Psychological Association Convention when they hooked up my TM friend and fellow psychologist to an EEG machine. I would love to see the EEG of Sifu Terry during FP.

Steve

post-86937-134407991699_thumb.jpg

Edited by tao mist

Sifu Terry,

For the past 5 weeks at least I have been having premonitions in the form of daydreaming about someone or something and then it soon turns into reality. Mostly with thinking of someone and then the phone rings. Most of us have that once in awhile anyway, but this is happening frequently now with the people that I am closest to. Yesterday I was thinking of my friend and then the phone rang one minute later and I asked her what took her so long to respond! But in the past few weeks when I would hope this woman would call me, the phone rang within seconds of having those thoughts and it was her. Multiple episodes of this. Yesterday I was for no known reason daydreaming about another friend maybe calling to tell me she needed a new computer. Today this same person called to say that her daughter recently bought her a new computer! So my thinking is that Flying Phoenix Chi Kung is opening psychic centers? If so, do you know which meditations on volumes one and two are prone to do this, or is it as I suspect, a synergetic effect from the culmination of all the energy from FP having this psychic influence? It feels so natural when it happens, not like any unusual psychic happening at all. I wonder if I should start daydreaming about winning the lottery so that I can relocate to my beloved Los Angeles?

Steve

• Like 2

Sifu Terry,

For the past 5 weeks at least I have been having premonitions in the form of daydreaming about someone or something and then it soon turns into reality. Mostly with thinking of someone and then the phone rings. Most of us have that once in awhile anyway, but this is happening frequently now with the people that I am closest to. Yesterday I was thinking of my friend and then the phone rang one minute later and I asked her what took her so long to respond! But in the past few weeks when I would hope this woman would call me, the phone rang within seconds of having those thoughts and it was her. Multiple episodes of this. Yesterday I was for no known reason daydreaming about another friend maybe calling to tell me she needed a new computer. Today this same person called to say that her daughter recently bought her a new computer! So my thinking is that Flying Phoenix Chi Kung is opening psychic centers? If so, do you know which meditations on volumes one and two are prone to do this, or is it as I suspect, a synergetic effect from the culmination of all the energy from FP having this psychic influence? It feels so natural when it happens, not like any unusual psychic happening at all. I wonder if I should start daydreaming about winning the lottery so that I can relocate to my beloved Los Angeles?

Steve

Hello Steve,

Proper meditation in general clears the mind of the dross of ignorance and for some can dismantle false beliefs of ego separation so that one sees clearly and realizes Ultimate Reality and the interconnectedness of all life--i.e., that man and the Universe are one. Psychic awareness obviously expands when such cosmic consciousness is attained. Regular practice of Flying Phoenix Meditations certainly increases or actualizes one's psychic potential and in some persons, refines intelligence. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, during one lesson during the first or second year of training, GM Doo Wai had each of us students practice Flying Phoenix and other Bok Fu Pai Meditations for one hour, then divided us into two groups and instructed us to remotely reach each other with a distance separating one group from the other by approx. 14 miles. As a result of successfully trying to read what one of my classmates was doing and thinking and him me, that evening we both had dreams--except that each of us dreamt in the mode or format that the other person normally dreamed in. And we each had the dream content that the other person normally would have had--given the nature of their work and profession and personal/family life. In other words, the meditations somehow caused us to "switch" both dream content and dream form or format with one another. And we were also able to interpret each other's dreams--and tie them directly to waking events and circumstances-- almost instantly because were we also lucid during those dreams. So, YES, practice of Bok Fu Pai Meditations--including Flying Phoenix Meditations--does expand consciousness and cultivates psychic ability or "powers" to higher levels and in very unusual and profound ways.

Enjoy your growing prescience and clear vision, and please continue to inform the thread of your non-ordinary experiences having to do with synchronicity.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hello Steve,

Proper meditation in general clears the mind of the dross of ignorance and for some can dismantle false beliefs of ego separation so that one sees clearly and realizes Ultimate Reality and the interconnectedness of all life--i.e., that man and the Universe are one. Psychic awareness obviously expands when such cosmic consciousness is attained. Regular practice of Flying Phoenix Meditations certainly increases or actualizes one's psychic potential and in some persons, refines intelligence. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, during one lesson during the first or second year of training, GM Doo Wai had each of us students practice Flying Phoenix and other Bok Fu Pai Meditations for one hour, then divided us into two groups and instructed us to remotely reach each other with a distance separating one group from the other by approx. 14 miles. As a result of successfully trying to read what one of my classmates was doing and thinking and him me, that evening we both had dreams--except that each of us dreamt in the mode or format that the other person normally dreamed in. And we each had the dream content that the other person normally would have had--given the nature of their work and profession and personal/family life. In other words, the meditations somehow caused us to "switch" both dream content and dream form or format with one another. And we were also able to interpret each other's dreams--and tie them directly to waking events and circumstances-- almost instantly because were we also lucid during those dreams. So, YES, practice of Bok Fu Pai Meditations--including Flying Phoenix Meditations--does expand consciousness and cultivates psychic ability or "powers" to higher levels and in very unusual and profound ways.

Enjoy your growing prescience and clear vision, and please continue to inform the thread of your non-ordinary experiences having to do with synchronicity.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Hello Sifu Terry:

Last night I was quite tired as I could not fall asleep during my after work nap. When I did my FP session that night I decided to hold Monk Holding a Pearl for at least 10 minutes or longer. That immediately took away all of my tiredness for the rest of the night. I then did the deep sleep meditation on vol. 7. But close to bedtime I watched an online clip of GM Doo Wai demonstrating Monk Holding a Pearl in the sitting meditation verison; so stupidly I did that right before bed and the energy from that must have overode the energy from the deep sleep med on vol. 7 because it the took me a long time to fall asleep which is unusual these days. This morning I woke up really tired but that immediately vanished once I did my morning FP meditations. I decided to end the FP session doing 5 min. of the seated version Monk Holding a Pearl. That makes for a great restful meditation to slow down the thoughts while being energized in a subtle way. But I learned to not hold any Pearls at night!

Steve

Edited by tao mist
  • Like 1

Hi all, I've been practicing the five standing meditation for about three months now and just wanted to share my observations from a beginners perspective.

Maybe it'll be of interest to others, if not it'll be cathartic for me!

- Flying Phoenix is without a doubt the most powerful form of Qi Gong I've practiced so far. I had tried a few different types in the past but was really surprised at how instant FP is.

- I've read on this board that the exercises can be practiced in any order but I think the order given on the disc is perfect with exercise 3 and 4 feeling like a release with 5 being a bliss out at the end.

- My favourite exercise is Wind Above The Clouds. I do this as slowly as I can. It feels so gentle and graceful. I must confess to doing a very slight modification on this - when bringing my hands hands up over my face, I actually turn my hands 90 degrees so the entire length of my palms are across my face. I love the warmth and it feels very blissful.

- I struggle to quiet my mind on the static exercises

My advice for any one just starting out is learn the postures and movements off by heart as soon as you can. I wrote the breathing percentages down on a piece of paper.

I feel much more motivated when I don't have to turn a computer on to watch the DVD plus I've been practicing in the garden when the weather has been good enough.

Hello mrtiger,

Welcome to the FP discussion and thank you for your assessment of the effectiveness of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung in comparson to other Qigong systems that you've practiced.

I'm glad you like the sequencing of the FP Meditations on the DVD's, and found them to cascade the FP energy cultivation into a "bliss-out" with the last exercise, Wind Above the Clouds. Not everything feels this effect of the ordering of the FP meditations, and I am glad you have experienced it and are pointing it out for others.

Yes, Wind Above Clouds can be quite blissful. Many a practitioner in generations past have described WAC as imparting the feeling and vision (point-of-view) of "a dragon flying above a carpet of white clouds." Hence the name of the meditation.

Thank you for reiterating my advice and instruction--that I have passed down from GM Doo Wai's teachings (without variation)--that all practitioners should memorize the movements and breath-control sequences for all the FP Chi Kung exercises. That is an absolute prerequisite for correctly practicing the FP Chi Kung system and therefore to gain optimal health benefits.

"I struggle to quiet my mind on the static exercises."

•••Recommended solution: Continue struggling in your meditations until you struggle no more. Practice makes perfect, especially in the FP Qigong tradition.

Enjoy your practice.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear

Thanks for the reply Terry.

I have a fairly broad question for you - What should I add to my practice?

At the moment I'm doing approx 2hrs for FP in the morning and 45 mins of seated Zazen before bedtime.

I also swim and cycle once a week and do a bit of walking.

I have roughly one hour at lunch to that I'd like to fill. What do you think would compliment my current practice? Tai Chi perhaps? Or maybe some straight up exercise like running? Or maybe a different practice. I've never tried Kung-Fu, I'm not sure how well I'd be suited to it. Any ideas welcome!

• Like 1

I gave up the idea of trying to avoid the cross-legged position, and even the second time through the seated meditations, the hip pain was much less and my hip didn’t lock up. That hip has habitually locked up even at my desk at work – it has been that I’d stand up and immediately crumple into a hunch, unable to stand straight without a slow and painful unwinding followed by a bit of full-body shaking and vibrating; and even then I’d limp for 10 or 20 steps. After the 3rd session of seated meditations that situation has not occurred again.

Peace to y’all,

tlb

Edited by TLB
  • Like 1

Hi TLB,

You can't go wrong with eating at La Salsa in L.A. :P

I have experienced so much great energy when vacationing in L.A., I can't imagine what it would be like to do Flying Phoenix Chi Kung there? Especially where Route 66 ends at the Santa Monica Park.

• Like 1

Hello Steve,

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by TLB

Hi TLB,

You can't go wrong with eating at La Salsa in L.A. :P

I have experienced so much great energy when vacationing in L.A., I can't imagine what it would be like to do Flying Phoenix Chi Kung there? Especially where Route 66 ends at the Santa Monica Park.

Hey, Tao Mist...I'll find it!!

You've hit on why I live in L.A.!

And practicing with Sifu Terry in a beautiful park in Santa Monica can't be beat. (Route 66, eh? Lived on it, in Amarillo, when I was a kid...)

But, all gushing aside, I'll go out on a limb here and bet that he might say the Flying Phoenix energy rocks, no matter where you practice.

tlb

TLB,

All I know is that my soul rocks whenever I enter L.A. When I first was there in 1987 my friend picked me up at the airport. I had flown in from Phoenix. I put my head out the window of his car in order to scream for joy because of how good it felt. This was so out of character for me. I later found out the source of my attraction to everything about L.A. except for the traffic and vanity. And I bet you are right about Sifu Terry saying that FP rocks wherever it is done! Speaking of which, this afternoon I remained in Monk Holding a Peach for a bit of a prolonged period of time and made sure to only touch my finger tips together very gently. I could feel the start of some slight quivering and then I shut it down so as not to reenact the Northridge quake!

Steve

• Like 1

So THAT'S where all these quakes come from :P

Edited by TLB
  • Like 1