Aetherous

What is the point

That movie (TmoL) has no meaning. :lol:

Actually not my favorite. Grail was probably the best.

What does "sacred" mean? Isn't it just another 'empty' concept?

Absolutely not. It is real. It is vibrant. It IS the real you!

Greetings..

Worship nothing.. yet, maintain a sacred reverence for ALL things.. "Sacred", by my understanding, is that which compells our full attention and awareness..

It is the defining which is confining.. "the Point", is nothing other than the 'experience' itself, without definition or comparison.. there is a brilliant serenity when we abandon the need to define and compare..

Be well..

CowTao, thanks! :)

Scotty... Language is a medium of manifestations wide open to use and abuse. One can manifest truth or falsehood, integrity or dishonesty, wisdom or idiocy, kindness or callousness using nothing but grammar, style, even punctuation marks toward this end. ("Royal pardon! No execution!" is a different command to the henchman than "Royal pardon?.. No! Execution!") Multiple meanings of words in the dictionary is not where it's at. A dictionary is an object; language is a process. I was giving one example of how different rules of engagement apply to objects and processes and how grammar can lie to us on a very deep level when we use it to pretend processes are objects. On the level of manifestations it can lie to the very core of our being, because once we construct a phrase like "the meaning of life" we proceed to live as though whatever is "life" is somehow separate from whatever is "its meaning." But it's not the case. Nothing in one's life is "its meaning" separate from the process of living it.

So the original question, "what's the point," should ideally be answered by giving the point's coordinates in space-time. :) E.g.: "what's the point of doing taiji?" -- "The point is Thursday at seven, with teacher Hong, Chen Laojia style, at such and such location, with such and such classmates, for such and such duration of time, with such and such physical, mental, emotional effects noticed, and such and such aimed for, and..." and so on, ad infinitum. Points are infinite. Pinpointing "the point" of anything is another grammatical illusion with no counterpart in real life. I may be doing taiji because I'm in love with teacher Hong, or with one of the classmates. I may be doing it because I have nothing better to do. I may be doing it because I hope to kick someone's ass someday. And so on. What's the point? An infinity of points to choose from. And no one can choose "THE" point for someone else. Whatever is the point for me at such and such space-time coordinates is the point, and no one and nothing else occupies THIS point in space-time, so what's the point examining some generic point which isn't there?.. Language is tricky, and I made it a quest of mine to see through all its tricks, one by tricky one, because once you do... Ah, my friend... once you do... :)

TaoMeow.

Ive always enjoyed your posts.

If I may be so bold; you seem to be well versed in post-constructalist thought. You're not into the whole Saussurean notion of expression and expressed, sign and signifier? And moreover, Semiotics?

h

Hagar, thanks, likewise! :)

I studied De Saussure way back at the university and remember next to nothing (I wasn't a very diligent student and partied too much...), and the only thing I know about semiotics is something or other from Umberto Eco... so, no expert here. (Please share your own expertize and/or interest in the above though, I'm interested!) Expression and expressed, sign and signifier -- is it something like Rene Magritte's "This is not a pipe" caption under his painting of a pipe?.. Yes, I'm very much into paying attention to what it is in the real world that a linguistic unit is used to refer to and how it is used exactly, and how exactly it is misused, and who does it and toward what end, and whether it's conscious or unconscious use or misuse, and so on.

I'll tell you what interests me the most about language... I'm a student of its power. It is a tremendously powerful phenomenon, perhaps THE most powerful of them all (considering that all existence is relationships and all relationships are based on some form of language or other. The DNA is a language and all life not only on this planet but looks like all life in the universe uses this particular one... so this gives one an idea of what tremendous power is contained in Logos.) More specifically, I study tsai yoshto-yoshto, a shamanic technique (literally "language twisting-twisting") --

perhaps for another thread sometime with this one?..

I study tsai yoshto-yoshto, a shamanic technique (literally "language twisting-twisting") --

perhaps for another thread sometime with this one?..

Yes please. The language of all nature or understanding the signs in nature I think. From the Shamans of the Amazon right? Those guys are something else. Just how did they know what plants to combine and use for all there different purposes? they communicated with them!

I know nothing about it really, would love to know more.

Since you can understand how a nation basically thinks by analyzing their language, you probably can understand how nature works by learning its language, too.

I find it fascinating how the system of language influences perceptions of the world and the whole way of thinking ... and the other way round. You could probably say, language is a constricting system like the many others made by society.