Sign in to follow this  
John Zen

Terminology

Hi.

I've seen these phrases thrown around on the site, and would like to know what they mean, please:

LDT

MCO

not just basic definitions, but could someone please extrapolate on them also please? thanks :)

MCO means "microcosmic orbit" and was primarily introduced to the West through Mantak Chia's books. His first book "Awakening the Healing Energy of the Tao" is all on the MCO and is an excellent introduction. The book "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" trans. by Charles Luk is the advanced form of the microcosmic orbit.

MCO is also called the "Small Universe" and also the "Small Heavenly Circuit" -- or something. I'm sure there's other names as well like the "water wheel" etc. Anyway Chunyi Lin, a qigong master here in Minnesota, has an excellent small universe/MCO Level 1 sitting meditation C.D. that guides you through the practice with great success -- http://springforestqigong.com

So MCO is the foundation of qigong practice and can take you to the most advanced levels if you practice it enough.

LDT is the Lower Dan Tien -- there's 3 Dan Tiens which roughly means "energy field" -- the origin may be tantric as in the old Sumerian myths where the field is sex energy symbolized by the fertility of the land which is "plowed" symbolizing the male energy. This is similar to the "Jewel in the Lotus" translation of the Tibetan chant -- Om Padme Mani Hum.

Of course this is "my" take on it and I'm just informally spewing out stuff but that's the basic jist.

JING is, in alchemy, the beginning and end of the practice -- so it's a tricky term. I translate it as "electrochemical energy" -- whereas qi is electromagnetic and then there's shen which is spirit-light energy, a more intense level of qi.

so jing is translated as sex energy but also as "prenatal" which means not only genetic sex energy but also PAST LIVES energy. In fact real qigong masters as spiritual healers will read your past lives and focus on that aspect of jing -- Chunyi Lin reads past lives but rarely tells people unless it will help them for a healing.

If you need a healing you can get phone healings from Chunyi Lin who works with the Mayo Clinic as well -- http://springforestqigong.com -- he did a 49 day full-lotus cave meditation taking no food, no water and no sleep. Now he does long distance healing all the time and teaches through a community college here in Minnesota.

Also, what is jing?

Hi.

I've seen these phrases thrown around on the site, and would like to know what they mean, please:

LDT

MCO

not just basic definitions, but could someone please extrapolate on them also please? thanks :)

LDT = Lower Dan Tien. Located in the belly, about two inches or so below the navel. Its considered by some a chakra, others a collection point of energy and often a focus during meditation.

MCO= Micro Cosmic Orbit is a taoist meditation where energy is run up the spine to the top of the head then down the front channel to the perenium (Between genitals and anus) repeatedly (sometimes the flow is reversed). I think of it as a controlled kundalini exercise. Its talked about more then its achieved. :)

Jing, ??I consider Jing to be juice in every sense of the word.

peoples definitions will differ.

Michael

MCO - Microcosmic Orbit - The most basic exercise taught in many schools of Daoist cultivation. A very important exercise that sets the foundation for more advanced training. If you train with a qualified teacher you will find that there are differences between techniques described in books and those passed down in oral tradition. It is very important to study with a teacher if you are serious, IMO.

LDT - Lower Dan Tian - One of three "reservoirs" or "fields" where "energy" is stored or experienced. LDT is (in my training) ~ 3 inches below the navel and ~ 1.5 inches inside in the average standing individual. It's different when sitting. The middle dan tian is more or less in the region of the heart and upper dan tian in the center of the head (all very approximate). The important thing to remember here is that energetic anatomy does not really correspond to physical anatomy. This is why different people and traditions describe the locations differently. It is something you come to "feel" with practice and it therefore differs slightly from person to person (as does physical anatomy for that matter).

Jing is semen. It also means the generative or creative force or energy contained within semen or that we associate with it. Nearly all Daoist texts available in the West refer to male techniques for cultivation. The first stage of Daoist cultivation is to use the MCO to convert Jing to Qi. Subsequent stages of cultivation involve the conversion of Qi to Shen and then returning Shen to Void.

Edited by steve f

Hi.

LDT

MCO

Glossary Of Taoist Terms

Which ones do you want someone to extrapolate on ? :huh:

http://taoism.about.com/od/glossaryoftaois...aoist_Terms.htm

jing is Chinese pinyin for: "classic"

Edited by ~jK~

so jing is translated as sex energy but also as "prenatal" which means not only genetic sex energy but also PAST LIVES energy.

No, HUN is past lives energy, PO is the actual life energy which unrefined will lead to a ghost after death

thanks for the clarification steam -- here's a relevant quote from the book "Revealing the Tao Te Ching"

The Yang Soul (called Hun in Chinese) is the Shen of the Qi; Yin Soul (called Po in Chinese) is the Shen of the Jing. Here, the Shen refers to the dominator or the individualizing essence of something. Qi is the unified constitution particle and functioning agent of Tao for making up Heaven, Earth, and all universal things (humans included). Qi can also be defined as congenital breathing, which exists before birth. Jing includes two parts: the Acquired Fertilizing Fluid (reproductive essence) in the corporeal world and the Primeval Fertilizing Fluid beyond the corporeal world.

No, HUN is past lives energy, PO is the actual life energy which unrefined will lead to a ghost after death

Sign in to follow this