Sign in to follow this  
sean

Welcome to the new Chinese language forum

Great point JK... The characters are said to embody the very essence of the world. Like the raining digits in The Matrix only much cooler.

Tao Toe,

Yoda

以毒攻毒---Yi3 du2 gong du2.

Like cures like

以牙還牙---Yi3 ya2 hai2 ya2.

Like for like

these two are obviously not original chinese but rather translations from the west. there is also a few that have been butchered in translation from ch. into engl.

以毒攻毒---Yi3 du2 gong du2.

Like cures like. no it doesnot:))), this means to cure one poison with another one and is a well known french expression.

.......................... n...................

以牙還牙---Yi3 ya2 hai2 ya2.

Like for like

hmmm, no . this means a tooth for a tooth and is a slightly better known biblical phrase.

As a Chinese would know - a barking like a dog person - gets the respect of a barking dog.

this must be some kind of a veiled insult....not that there is anything wrong with it.:)))

A NOTE FOR MODERATORS:

The biblical phrase is "an eye for an eye" - as in revenge - which is obviously what you are trying for as it was I that had you kicked off of another phorum for the same disruptive tactics - along with 3 others.

Location:I think I've always lived in my head - why do you ask?

(shrug)

everyone:

Honestly to say,I'm really appreciate your industriousness in learning Taoism.In a way,you are more Chinese than many modern Chinese.

I begin to read Tao-teChing since last semester and slowly increases my own experiences which cannot be written in out definitely.Just as what Laotzu sai,"道可道,非恒道".

I think there might be possible to solve some of your problems you might have ,especially for the characters.

"道家学说"

If there is such a word as "Taology" for the study of Taoism, then I would translate it as "The Taoist words from a Taologist."

Edited by ChiDragon

1. 以毒攻毒---Yi3 du2 gong du2.

Like cures like. no it doesnot:))), this means to cure one poison with another one and is a well known french expression.

2. 以牙還牙---Yi3 ya2 hai2 ya2.

Like for like

hmmm, no . this means a tooth for a tooth and is a slightly better known biblical phrase.

1. If I have a poison in me with no way out, then, the best thing I can do is to counteract it with something that is more potent. I am going to die anyway; what do I got to loose.

2. Exactly, "a tooth for a tooth" is thought of avenge, e.g. if your took my tooth, I'll do the same to you. If kill my father, I'll do the same.

PS...

Please note this is not what I'm advocating. It's only a matter of translation to bring the idea across. I think the forum is a good thing to have. This has an advantage for the native speakers to bring in the original characters for clarifying some of the mistranslations and interpretations which done by non-native speakers.

Thank you, Sean...!!!

Sign in to follow this