ahumbleimmortal

Taoist Immortals

"But don't you suppose the Sage is an enlightened one?"

Everybody made it sound so easy to attain a state of enlightenment by doing some kind of Taoist practice. What I'm trying to say was not anybody can attain to such a state by just performing meditation.

I don't think anyone believes its easy lol. Its not just meditation. That's why Buddha gave an eight fold path.

I don't think anyone believes its easy lol. Its not just meditation. That's why Buddha gave an eight fold path.

Yes, I know. The realm of Enlightenment to a Buddhist is more focus and significant to attain. As compared to a Taoist, the mind and body are more important than attaining the State of Enlightenment. That's all I was saying.

Cultivation of the mind to a Taoist is more like to have a state of serenity rather than Enlightenment. However, enlightenment may come with the territory but not mandated to a Taoist.

Edited by ChiDragon

Taoism is just a Chinese copy of Buddhism. This is obvious to anyone who has read Taoist texts. But if you want an academic reference, here you go:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2HS1DOZ35EgC&pg=PA280&dq=Taoism+copy+of+buddhism&hl=en&sa=X&ei=THYeUay1BLOt0AH2o4DoDQ&ved=0CF4Q6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=Taoism%20copy%20of%20buddhism&f=false

I wouldn't say that too loud in China if I were you. ..... ;)

Taoism is just a Chinese copy of Buddhism. This is obvious to anyone who has read Taoist texts. But if you want an academic reference, here you go:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2HS1DOZ35EgC&pg=PA280&dq=Taoism+copy+of+buddhism&hl=en&sa=X&ei=THYeUay1BLOt0AH2o4DoDQ&ved=0CF4Q6AEwBzgK#v=onepage&q=Taoism%20copy%20of%20buddhism&f=false

I don't believe that is entirely correct as Taoisms roots go back further than Buddhisms beginnings. Taoism going back 5000-7000 years ago, while Buddhism is 2500 years old. Though granted when Buddhism came to China both traditions learned from each other and mixed somewhat. Taoism incorporated some Buddhist principles and Buddhism did the same which is where we get Chan or Zen from.

• Like 2

I don't believe that is entirely correct as Taoisms roots go back further than Buddhisms beginnings. Taoism going back 5000-7000 years ago, while Buddhism is 2500 years old. Though granted when Buddhism came to China both traditions learned from each other and mixed somewhat. Taoism incorporated some Buddhist principles and Buddhism did the same which is where we get Chan or Zen from.

5000-7000 years ago is prehistory, so that can't be right.

5000-7000 years ago is prehistory, so that can't be right.

Neanderthals are prehistory as well, but they still existed lol. That's why we have the fields of anthropology and archaeology to pick up where history leaves off.

I looked in John Keay's China history book, and he says Taoism is first century. I always thought he was excellent historian, so I'm going with that.

I looked in John Keay's China history book, and he says Taoism is first century. I always thought he was excellent historian, so I'm going with that.

I believe that religious Taoism is first century so that is correct. Though Philosophical is what came long before that. That's the distinction ;-)

I believe that religious Taoism is first century so that is correct. Though Philosophical is what came long before that. That's the distinction ;-)

Long before? Are we back to prehistory again? You are obviously not a historian.

.......... Though granted when Buddhism came to China both traditions learned from each other and mixed somewhat. Taoism incorporated some Buddhist principles and Buddhism did the same which is where we get Chan or Zen from.

Yes, I wouldn't be concerned with the dates in particularity. This is enough confusion to deal with already.

Buddhas have been around since time immemorial.

Shakyamuni, as a nirmanakaya buddha, is the first to have a historical recognition. But the wisdom which underscores the teachings of Shakyamuni is not his formulation as such... other buddhas have been propagating such wisdom long before the historical Buddha appeared. Dipankara is one of these. He was preceded by Saranamkara. There were others in the past, and there will be ones appearing in the future as well.

• Like 1

I've seen two immortals who looked like wizards with robes and hure fore heads, in my dreams mid-sleep. They looked like cartoon characters in the dream or avatars so to speak. They had white beards as well. Twas an interesting experience. They laughed a lot and said they're heads were so big from storing up knowledge.

Edited by DragonsNectar69k