Sign in to follow this  
Mal

Invision Power Board V3

Firstly I hate change :lol: I know it's wrong and unTaoist but I just really hate change and I've come to love this little place on the net called TTB very much.

But I like technological change for the better. We are much bigger now and it's a more diverse community. So because these ideas seem to come up in threads more and more often and I know at least one person here will really enjoy this ;)

Have a look at some of the interesting little features in V3

http://www.invisionpower.com/products/board/

Users can rate posts up or down, earning the author of that post repuation points. Users can earn badges and titles for having a good reputation, encouraging high quality posts across the board.

Topic Rating

Topics can be rated one to five stars, so users can identify the topics that others rate highly - or poorly!

Personal Conversations

Personal conversations allow members to send messages directly to other members, out of public view, in a topic format. Other members can be invited to existing conversations - or remove themselves, if they so desire.

Friends & Ignored Users

Members can add each other as mutual friends, enabling quick communication and being highlighted in each others' profile. And, for those situations where problems arise, members can choose to hide all content from particular users by adding them to their ignored list.

It perhaps moves away from the big melting pot I really enjoy that is

The Tao Bums > Tao Lounge > Taoist Discussion

But I wonder how much this would cost?

Come to think of it how much does this place cost? Advertising is up although subscription remains the same (thanks to the benevolent overlord :) )

I am a member of one forum that is V3 based. It is a good system although it is slightly slower because of all the additional options. I have never asked the owner of its cost but I am sure it would be more expensive than this one.

I have had no problems with this board so I have no further comments.

Happy Trails!

I have had no problems with this board.

People just need to practice more and argue less.

Lately this forum has been reminding me of a couple of places I have worked. Whenever people weren't focused on the tasks they were supposed to be doing all sorts of ego-type, personality-type conflicts would arise. If people were just doing the jobs they were hired to do they would not get distracted by such folly.

Meditation, cultivation, and contribution. Not insults or "my Buddha can beat up your Tao".

People just need to practice more and argue less.

Hi Ryan,

:lol: I had to laugh.

Ain't that the darn truth!

After I retired from the Army and took a local job people seemed to be more concerned with what clothes I wore and whether or not I had shaved that morning more than the concerned themself with whether or not I was doing a good job and being productive.

However, I will not tolerate anyone talking down Taoism on a Taoist forum so I will make a public announcement right here and now: You do it, you are in for a fight.

But really, things are all that bad here - just need to try to avoid the personal attacks more, I think.

Happy Trails!

change is unTaoist? i don't think that's true :) Taoism is all about change. there's no such thing as permanency in the Tao

yes

I know it's wrong and unTaoist but I just really hate change

(I love quoting myself :lol: learning to love change is a work in progress )

Surprised Pietro didn't see this one, perhaps I just missed him V3 seems to have the sort of stuff he has been talking about for a while.

Sean mentioned upgrading this place to V3 a while ago.

Personally, I liked the idea, others didn't...

let's see what happens.

:)

Yes if it's not a big issue upgrading it could be really useful.

I really like the idea of

Reputation Points & Topic Ratings

but that could depending on how it's implemented in V3, could be open for abuse, but I was once on a forum with karma points and that was great fun.

Personally not so keen on

Personal Conversations & Friends & Ignored Users

But if we want to keep the increasing noisey Taoist discussion. Perhaps this could easily add the tranquility many are seeking.

Thanks for the nudge Mal. I've been meaning to upgrade. I think it'll cost me a couple hundred bucks altogether. Hmm... if we rounded that up in donations I would feel obliged and then more motivated. heh, After three years of running my own business now, I'm still 90% externally motivated. haha... :rolleyes:

Sean

Thanks for the nudge Mal. I've been meaning to upgrade. I think it'll cost me a couple hundred bucks altogether. Hmm... if we rounded that up in donations I would feel obliged and then more motivated. heh, After three years of running my own business now, I'm still 90% externally motivated. haha... :rolleyes:

Sean

Okay. So if you appoint a moderator for the board perhaps the moderator would accept the responsibility for accepting donations for the upgrade. You could give the moderator an established cost for the upgrade and he/she could solicit donations from the more active members of the forum. I am willing to do my part.

Happy Trails!

It would be easy enough to round up the $$ but is this the direction we want to move in (remember me and change) I wouldn't want to rush into it.

The most helpful things could be topic ratings and the reputation system.

But reputation also can lead to those "Why did you give me a negative rep :angry: " Wars :lol:

and a single dimension can be tricky as people may like to rate different things more highly (some like humor, some like technical expertise)

Bit more info here Reputation System

And I see V3.0.3 is out so should be smoothing out bugs.

Oh, come on Mal. Jump in and get wet. The water's great! Hehehe. I do understand what you are saying though. Of course, that option could always be disabled if it leads to negativity.

I will support whatever decision Sean makes.

Happy Trails!

Oh, come on Mal. Jump in and get wet. The water's great! Hehehe. I do understand what you are saying though. Of course, that option could always be disabled if it leads to negativity.

I will support whatever decision Sean makes.

Happy Trails!

I think it would lead to a higher level of accountability. Quite a few people, of late, seem to be hiding behind the anonymity of the internets. Some seem to think they can say whatever they like without repercussion. I doubt most of these folks would actually say such things in "real" life. With the possibility of poor ratings and possible suspension from the forums they might attempt to stay a little more positive. Nothing wrong with a little conditioning to keep things on the up-and-up, IMO.

Sign in to follow this