dwai

What the Self Is (and Is Not)

So, after all has been said, what is Self?

Self equals ego. What is ego? Ego is self-recognition. What function is used to realize self-recognition? The conscious mind. What is the conscious mind? The brain. What is the brain? A component of a living organism. When the living organism dies, what happens to the brain? It dies. And where is self after this event? Nowhere - it is dead.

Happy Trails!

So, after all has been said, what is Self?

... What is the conscious mind? The brain ...

Is it?

Presumably then that would mean that consciousness is the product of complexity so that something which is not conscious - matter - becomes conscious through its circuitry ... to me anyway this seems absurd.

Is it?

Presumably then that would mean that consciousness is the product of complexity so that something which is not conscious - matter - becomes conscious through its circuitry ... to me anyway this seems absurd.

Good catch, Apepch7!

I knew that part was open for criticism but I couldn't think of a better way to follow through with the process I had started.

No, I do not think that plants have brains. Therefore all plants would be eliminated from the above.

Some animals do not have brains but rather just a central nervous system so all those are eliminated.

Some animals have brains that are nothing more than storage areas for their many instincts so all these are eliminated.

Actually, there are only a few animals that have a well-developed brain that allows for conceptual thought and therefore the ability of self-recognition. The human animal is the only one I was making reference to.

Happy Trails!

I'm not sure what the self is, but I do think I am the Do-er, and my spirit works best within the material because it is all I have known. My connection to the Celestial seems to be what I need to discover, and I have a feeling that is as much as the Self as I know to be the ego-conscious Do-er. I just have not realized it yet.

I'm not sure what the self is, but I do think I am the Do-er, and my spirit works best within the material because it is all I have known. My connection to the Celestial seems to be what I need to discover, and I have a feeling that is as much as the Self as I know to be the ego-conscious Do-er. I just have not realized it yet.

I would like to suggest that the moment one asks the question "What is the Self?" that person has already realized what the self is. The understanding of the realization comes later. This is consistent with Marblehead Taoist Philosophy. (It didn't take long for that to happen. Hehehe.)

Happy Trails!

Good catch, Apepch7!

I knew that part was open for criticism but I couldn't think of a better way to follow through with the process I had started.

No, I do not think that plants have brains. Therefore all plants would be eliminated from the above.

Some animals do not have brains but rather just a central nervous system so all those are eliminated.

Some animals have brains that are nothing more than storage areas for their many instincts so all these are eliminated.

Actually, there are only a few animals that have a well-developed brain that allows for conceptual thought and therefore the ability of self-recognition. The human animal is the only one I was making reference to.

Happy Trails!

I would prefer to say that we have brains because it is human beings' intent to think conceptually and develop self recognition. The physical body and its organs is a precipitation of a spiritual intent - not that we have these capacities because we happen to have developed brains. This is my preference because I believe in the primacy of spirit over matter. Consciousness, awareness, sentience is inherent in the energy that makes us. In other words it is not added on later by evolutionary processes.

I would prefer to say that we have brains because it is human beings' intent to think conceptually and develop self recognition. The physical body and its organs is a precipitation of a spiritual intent - not that we have these capacities because we happen to have developed brains. This is my preference because I believe in the primacy of spirit over matter. Consciousness, awareness, sentience is inherent in the energy that makes us. In other words it is not added on later by evolutionary processes.

Yeah, we differ a little in this regard but the differences don't really matter. So basically I agree with what you said. Yes, I hold to the fact of evolution. ( I felt I needed to say that.)

But I have no problem with your understanding if that is what is good for you.

However we define Self it is still just as important for all of us to know how to properly interact with our environment.

Happy Trails!

I know what you are saying Hyok. I was that way for the better part of my life. We each must find our own way to the realization of the Spirit. I found mine in Native American (North) spirituality. That probably sounds wierd but that's the way it was and still is.

There are many views presented here on this forum. I am sure that one day you will read something and there will be an inspiration had and you will then begin another journey.

Happy Trails!

+ and - makes a charge. This is elektricitity.

Elektricity is the thing in the brain. Consiousness equals elektrictity.

Material objects consist of elektromagnetic fields in the void.

everything has some consiousness.

This is new age crap ?

This is new age crap ?

Seems like everything is a combination of + - and magnetic fields. I used to think about this a lot, until it got really boring. Now I try to view things as thought and emotion, but even thought and emotion has + -, but it's more fun this way. :)

This is new age crap ?

Hi TTT,

Welcome to the discussion.

Well, in a way it is new age crap but it really isn't. The thought of universal consciousness has been around for a very long time. Probebly just as long as there has been a concept of a god. But the revival of the thought, I think, is due to the recent work in physics where the physicists take things apart until they have found the lowest denominator and then say "this is what we are". And although this might be technically correct I think it is way off base and very misleading.

Happy Trails!

And I agree with Hyok. It is more fun that way.

Edited by Marblehead

This is new age crap ?

Hang on while I ask this light bulb what it thinks. It would like to contribute but its only 60W and a bit dim.

Oh dear.

(sorry couldn't resist)

Hang on while I ask this light bulb what it thinks. It would like to contribute but its only 60W and a bit dim.

Oh dear.

(sorry couldn't resist)

Hehehe. You done good. :lol:

Happy Trails!

self is merely identification which is an ever evolving process and never stable, thus... there really is no self. Only clinging. Or for a Buddha... accepting, letting go, letting flow... thusness.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Identification with what?

Happy Trails!

It's a power or an ability. So, it's an act or a verb. A process.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Identification with nothing. Just laughing would be a good option:

"Since everything is but an apparition, having nothing to do with good or bad, acceptance or rejection, one may well burst out in laughter"

-Longchenpa

If you can't get a good comedy or something, will help as well.

Edited by TTT

Well, Y'all know I just had to ask that question. :)

Identification with nothing; identification with everything.

I like laughter. It works muscles of the body that are not normally used.

But it is still "I" who is laughing. Can't deny that.

Happy Trails!