Sign in to follow this  
buscon

tao te ching and Chuang Tzu translation

Hi,

I'm reading tao te ching in german, in a Richard Wilhelm translation.

Now I'd like to have also an english version of this book and an english translation of chuang tzu writings.

Can you advice me some good editions ? I know that there are a lot, that's why I ask you which ones are good :)

Also a book that contains these books and other taoist writings would be welcome :)

Cheers and tao

Hi,

Now I'd like to have also an english version of this book and an english translation of chuang tzu writings.

Can you advice me some good editions ? I know that there are a lot, that's why I ask you which ones are good :)

Also a book that contains these books and other taoist writings would be welcome :)

Cheers and tao

The Natural Way of Lao Tzu

in

A Source Book in

Chinese Philosophy

Translated and Compliled by

Wing-Tsit Chan

ISBN 0-691-0 1964-9

Revealing the Tao Te Ching

In-Depth Commentaries on an Ancient Classic

Translation and Commentary by Hu Xuezhi

ISBN 1-887575-18-9

--

after reading many translations... maybe you will have the wish to translate it yourself...

these websites can help:

Links:

http://home.debitel.net/user/wulf.dieterich/resources.htm

Dictionary Laozi Daodejing:

http://www.alice-dsl.net/taijiren/dictionary.htm

Laozi Daodejing Chinese Text in fullform and Seals:

http://home.debitel.net/user/wulf.dieterich/index.html

Hi Buscon,

There are many translations online that one can read here:

http://terebess.hu/english/lexikon/t.html

I always recommend Robert G Henricks for the Tao Te Ching and

Burton Watson for Chuang Tzu.

Of course, these are only the translations without commentary, introduction or interpretation. One needs to buy the books to get the extra goodies.

Be well!

There is one called the ultimate tao te ching, can't remember the author. It has all of the chinese chatacters and definitions as many characters can have multiple meanings when translated

Hi,

Cheers and tao

There is one called the ultimate tao te ching, can't remember the author. It has all of the chinese chatacters and definitions as many characters can have multiple meanings when translated

Hi,
I think you mean Tao Te Ching, The Definitive Edition, translation and commentary by Jonathon Star.
I've got it, and it's a great help to understand and compare different translations. It has the Star's translation of the TTC, then a list of all the Chinese characters in order with multiple meanings and cross references so you can see where else the character is used. VERY interesting!

You are right. I stand corrected. I apologize for the misinformation

Hi,

I think you mean Tao Te Ching, The Definitive Edition, translation and commentary by Jonathon Star.

I've got it, and it's a great help to understand and compare different translations. It has the Star's translation of the TTC, then a list of all the Chinese characters in order with multiple meanings and cross references so you can see where else the character is used. VERY interesting!

Adeha

i guess i dont really have a favorite ddj translation, though i was initially interested by Legge's translation and then sought out others, perhaps i have studied John C.H. Wu's translation the most.

however in regards to zhuangzi i would recommend Feng/English translation all the way. burton watson was my first encounter with zhuangzi and is good, though i prefer the Feng/English translation. gotta love the stories of the horse and the praying mantis B)

Terebess is a good site, plenty of ddj translations to keep ya busy plus a few zhuangzi ones as well :)

a question: is english a second language for you?

oh, a good compliation of some daoist writings along with sections from ddj and zhuangzi is Vitality, Energy and Spirit by Thomas Cleary. he also has sections in there from wen-tzu, huai-nan tzu, and liezi (lieh tzu).

Edited by contrivedname!

When I was much younger, I borrowed and read a version by Stephen Mitchell, and I was wondering if anyone here had read it and thought much of it. I want to buy a copy of Tao te Ching, but I'm low on income, so if I do spend the money, I want it to be worthwhile. I found it interesting when I had first read it, but I was so young I didn't even know what Taoism was...

However, if no one's particularly opposed to it, I may buy that version here soon.

I love Thomas Merton's Way of Chuang Tzu in addition to others mentioned above.

I first began to have a deeper understanding of Chuang Tzu after reading Osho's When the Shoe Fits and The Empty Boat.

When I was much younger, I borrowed and read a version by Stephen Mitchell, and I was wondering if anyone here had read it and thought much of it.

You could always reread his version online and compare it with other translations and see what you think :)

Stephen Mitchell

Legge, Suzuki, Goddard

Merel

Lin

McDonald

Rosenthal

There's probably more out there if you do a Google search...

Edited by Erdrickgr

Sign in to follow this